Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 N-spec coming for the 991?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 03:35 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,437 Likes on 2,247 Posts
Default Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 N-spec coming for the 991?

Michelin have announced the replacement for the MPSC+ called the Pilot Cup Sport 2 it will 1st appear on the new Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Coupe Black Series...

I think GT PurelyPorsche or another of the UK magazines mentioned that Michelin rubber is forthcoming for the 991 GT3, my guess is that it will be this tyre.

going to try and get some info from Michelin on this...

according to the info on the PSC2 for the AMG it appears to integrate much of the technology developed in the Pilot Super Sport; bi-compounds, twaron belts, thermal management, and contact patch mgmt also...
Old 03-18-2013, 03:40 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,793 Likes on 2,194 Posts

In one of the videos, I thought I saw the 991 GT3 having Dunlop SportMaxx Race tires, but I don't if that's what they intend when production gets going.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:41 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
In one of the videos, I thought I saw the 991 GT3 having Dunlop SportMaxx Race tires, but I don't if that's what they intend when production gets going.
I saw that too, I believe that is another production option, Porsche usually has at least two tyre suppliers for the previous cars it has been Pirelli with their Corsas and Michelin with the Pilot Sport Cup and Cup+...
Old 03-18-2013, 04:04 PM
mike2727
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I saw that too, I believe that is another production option, Porsche usually has at least two tyre suppliers for the previous cars it has been Pirelli with their Corsas and Michelin with the Pilot Sport Cup and Cup+...
I doubt that the car will come standard with PS Cup tires, or the Dunlop Race, since all other indications (no bucket seats, not warranty when tracked in DE) is stating the opposite

I would guess the Dunlop street tire or the PSS
Really sticky tires without a bucket seat with proper harness to keep you in place would not make sense IMO

What others have said Porsche (NA ?) wants to steer away from track use, so below 100 threadwear tires go against that, besides that they will be a handfull in the rain for street use

Mike
Old 03-18-2013, 05:49 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mike2727
I doubt that the car will come standard with PS Cup tires, or the Dunlop Race, since all other indications (no bucket seats, not warranty when tracked in DE) is stating the opposite

I would guess the Dunlop street tire or the PSS
Really sticky tires without a bucket seat with proper harness to keep you in place would not make sense IMO

What others have said Porsche (NA ?) wants to steer away from track use, so below 100 threadwear tires go against that, besides that they will be a handfull in the rain for street use

Mike
in the immortal words of RickyBobby ... "with all due respect" ... NONSENSE!

Every GT3 since the 1st has come with either Pirelli or Michelin track rubber regardless of the seat or harness type!
Old 03-18-2013, 05:58 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I've already seen hi resolution photos of the new GT3 fitted with Michelin Sport Cup 2s... Larry is correct! Racking my brain to think where so I can redirect this thread to the photos...
Old 03-18-2013, 06:08 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Copyright Porsche AG
Old 03-18-2013, 06:38 PM
mike2727
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
in the immortal words of RickyBobby ... "with all due respect" ... NONSENSE!

Every GT3 since the 1st has come with either Pirelli or Michelin track rubber regardless of the seat or harness type!
I know they came with the CUP tires or Corsa's before, but in the scheme of things I do not think it makes any sense if they would continue to do so, since all the other indications are to steer the US customer away from the track.

I guess that is another thing we will have to wait and see, what ultimately is delivered here in the US, but I still am not convinced it will be a Cup tire or equivalent, I have the feeling it might be the PSS or Dunlop Street tire

Again this is all speculation and you are right that all GT3's before came with the CUP or similar tire.

Mike
Old 03-18-2013, 06:57 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

There is no question, the new GT3 will come with R compound tires, probably from more than one supplier. Count on it.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:32 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mike2727
I know they came with the CUP tires or Corsa's before, but in the scheme of things I do not think it makes any sense if they would continue to do so, since all the other indications are to steer the US customer away from the track.
What evidence does anyone have that Porsche is trying to steer their customers away from the track? If anything, with the investment in their new centre in Atlanta, they're doing anything but steering people away from the track.

I've received confirmation from my dealer that r-comps will be standard on the GT3.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:59 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hothonda

Copyright Porsche AG
rocking!
Old 03-18-2013, 08:00 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911rox
I've already seen hi resolution photos of the new GT3 fitted with Michelin Sport Cup 2s... Larry is correct! Racking my brain to think where so I can redirect this thread to the photos...
excellent! ... when I hear back form michelin with any more details I will post here ...

I wonder what happened to Pirelli?

I also wonder if we will see the MPSC2 in 19" and 18" fitments?
Old 03-18-2013, 08:11 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by shizzle
What evidence does anyone have that Porsche is trying to steer their customers away from the track? If anything, with the investment in their new centre in Atlanta, they're doing anything but steering people away from the track.
The only "evidence" that's been stated is that Porsche isn't offering a track worthy seat in the US and presumably won't warranty the car for on track failures. The seat issue has been explained as a certification problem and the warranty issue is a long standing policy. However, some see a more sinister intent.....
Old 03-18-2013, 09:16 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Every press release video I have seen so far keeps mentioning tracking the car....
Old 03-18-2013, 09:58 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
The only "evidence" that's been stated is that Porsche isn't offering a track worthy seat in the US and presumably won't warranty the car for on track failures. The seat issue has been explained as a certification problem and the warranty issue is a long standing policy. However, some see a more sinister intent.....
And that evidence is a joke at best. I agree with the later half of your statement, I think people just enjoy the odd good conspiracy theory.

Porsche is building their own track for customers out in Atlanta, and their manuals specifically mention track use. Further, their marketing, dealer network and other promotions regularly talk about using Porsches at the track.

Anyone who thinks that simply not including seats will get Porsche off the hook for incidents at the track doesn't understand the law. Any good litigator would simply point to Porsche marketing, historical statements from executives etc., about Porsches being used at the track. That would be enough to establish that Porsche reasonably knows that its cars will be used at the track, and that Porsche in fact encourages it.

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 N-spec coming for the 991?