Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 N-spec coming for the 991?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 10:09 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,437 Likes on 2,247 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Every press release video I have seen so far keeps mentioning tracking the car....
Just the litigious colonials are discouraged from such wreck less behavior
Old 03-18-2013, 10:11 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

W.r.t to the lack of a track seat for N.A I wonder how many 7.2 cars had them specced? It could simply be the market spoke last time and PCNA responded?
Old 03-18-2013, 10:44 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by shizzle
And that evidence is a joke at best. I agree with the later half of your statement, I think people just enjoy the odd good conspiracy theory.

Porsche is building their own track for customers out in Atlanta, and their manuals specifically mention track use. Further, their marketing, dealer network and other promotions regularly talk about using Porsches at the track.

Anyone who thinks that simply not including seats will get Porsche off the hook for incidents at the track doesn't understand the law. Any good litigator would simply point to Porsche marketing, historical statements from executives etc., about Porsches being used at the track. That would be enough to establish that Porsche reasonably knows that its cars will be used at the track, and that Porsche in fact encourages it.
Could not agree more.....
Old 03-19-2013, 12:22 AM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
W.r.t to the lack of a track seat for N.A I wonder how many 7.2 cars had them specced? It could simply be the market spoke last time and PCNA responded?
From what I was told by my dealer, apparently not many GT3 were specified with the sports bucket seats. To add a bit of conspiracy to it, my dealer also mentioned that they're more than happy to install the club sport package through TEquipment, for which they make a killing.

Getting back to the real topic at hand - I'd love to see the Pirelli Trofeo R as one of the r-comps coming on the GT3. They've already announced sizing that's 991 appropriate, and from the sounds of it, a lot of people love them.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:31 AM
V
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also wonder if we will see the MPSC2 in 19" and 18" fitments?
+1
Old 04-10-2013, 08:17 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL, at the track in Atlanta. That thing is in a densely crowded area. Unless they have a Porsche Mute Button, no way they get any realistic driving from that area. They are trying to sell tracking as a gimmick. Centerlocks, 20's, no sport buckets. They want to sell the image, not the real thing. They'll put some car scrubs out there but you could probably hear a real race car clear into downtown Atlanta from there.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:52 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by mike2727
I doubt that the car will come standard with PS Cup tires, or the Dunlop Race, since all other indications (no bucket seats, not warranty when tracked in DE) is stating the opposite

I would guess the Dunlop street tire or the PSS
Really sticky tires without a bucket seat with proper harness to keep you in place would not make sense IMO

What others have said Porsche (NA ?) wants to steer away from track use, so below 100 threadwear tires go against that, besides that they will be a handfull in the rain for street use

Mike
I don't believe Porsche is trying to steer customers away from the track. Their marketing (truthful or not) states otherwise. However, I DO think that they are trying to make the GT3 more palatable to people that have no intention of ever tracking the car. Therefore, I can see why you might think they won't put r comps on the new GT3

That being said, I agree with the others that the 991 GT3 will come equipped with R comps
Old 04-10-2013, 12:18 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I don't believe Porsche is trying to steer customers away from the track. Their marketing (truthful or not) states otherwise. However, I DO think that they are trying to make the GT3 more palatable to people that have no intention of ever tracking the car. Therefore, I can see why you might think they won't put r comps on the new GT3

That being said, I agree with the others that the 991 GT3 will come equipped with R comps
+1 the GT3's have always come equiped with R rated tyres... *and* the new car even has a button on the console marked "Race Track" so I dont think
Porsche is changing the positioning of the car as one that you can track ... but I agree that they might be positioning it more as a daily driver ... that said R comps will be its shoes.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:22 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hothonda

Copyright Porsche AG

Wheel ****. . . . very nice.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:37 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Every press release video I have seen so far keeps mentioning tracking the car....
Exactly Macca!

it even has a button on the console marked "race track"...

the fact that the N.A cars are not offerred with CS or Sports Buckets as the RoW cars are is probably more to do with either a marketing decision by PCNA or a US DOT compliance issue...

NA has never had the CS package offered, and until the Sports Bucket, never had a decent OEM seat...having said that I have never met a dealer that specced those on a car they ordered ... only those customer ordered or specced with them as std... event then most dealers swapped them out for the regular seats ...

On the warranty issue, it has always been voided by track use here...

- Larry
Old 04-10-2013, 12:45 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Not sure if the button is called " race track " in North America

Copyright Porsche AG
Old 04-10-2013, 12:56 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,149 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
Wheel ****. . . . very nice.
+1. I wish they had a 19" version of that.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:10 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,149 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by Hothonda
Not sure if the button is called " race track " in North America

Copyright Porsche AG
In NA, they should rather introduce a "Suburban drive-by" button. It should open up the exhaust to the max, get the transmission limited to first gear, and turn electronic nannies to the extra vigilant mode so that the driver would not crash trying to impress neighbours :-). I know some of my neighbours already have this feature on their cars.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:18 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

My past experience has been with Ferrari's and though Ferrari offered sport bucket seats and I never ordered them because sales people told me the car would not sell as fast with them. In addition, I spent a few days driving a 430 Scuderia which is equipped with racing seats(sport bucket). They are OK for short rides but longer rides they were very uncomfortable.

Porsche is offering the wheels pictured above in painted silver with a colored center locked cap. I am inclined to go with the painted silver (a $380 option) because most of the pictures of the OEM wheels make them look dirty. I believed they are a brushed bronze color.

Thoughts on the wheels?
Old 04-10-2013, 01:48 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Exactly Macca!

it even has a button on the console marked "race track"...

the fact that the N.A cars are not offerred with CS or Sports Buckets as the RoW cars are is probably more to do with either a marketing decision by PCNA or a US DOT compliance issue...

NA has never had the CS package offered, and until the Sports Bucket, never had a decent OEM seat...having said that I have never met a dealer that specced those on a car they ordered ... only those customer ordered or specced with them as std... event then most dealers swapped them out for the regular seats ...

On the warranty issue, it has always been voided by track use here...

- Larry

Originally Posted by Nick
Porsche is offering the wheels pictured above in painted silver with a colored center locked cap. I am inclined to go with the painted silver (a $380 option) because most of the pictures of the OEM wheels make them look dirty. I believed they are a brushed bronze color.

Thoughts on the wheels?
Obviously a matter of personal taste and some exterior colors might look better with one wheel finish or the other. Personally, I like the standard finish (I think they call it "platinum".)

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 N-spec coming for the 991?