Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   991 GT3 - SUMMARY Only! (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/746042-991-gt3-summary-only.html)

Manifold 03-17-2013 05:30 PM

991 GT3 - SUMMARY Only!

I'm #2 on my dealer's list for the GT3, and am trying to do my homework to decide whether to give them a deposit. I've tried to read the threads here at RL, but can't keep up with the volume. So I'm hoping someone can provide concise answers to the following questions (updated as needed):

- What's the chance of manual becoming available in the next year or two?

- Are proper track seats going to be offered?

- Does RWS make the car's handling feel unnatural?

- What's the word on the driving experience from people who've actually driven the car (and who don't work for Porsche)?

- Is sunroof standard? Is there a sunroof delete option?

- Will tracking the car void the warranty?

- How durable will the car be for track use?

- What will the average annual allocation per dealer be in the US?

- When will the first cars be shipped to the US?

- Will prices increase next year?

DrJay 03-17-2013 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Manifold (Post 10308349)
I'm #2 on my dealer's list for the GT3, and am trying to do my homework to decide whether to give them a deposit. I've tried to read the threads here at RL, but can't keep up with the volume. So I'm hoping someone can provide concise answers to the following questions (updated as needed):

- What's the word on the driving experience from people who've actually driven the car (and who don't work for Porsche)?

- very good, you should wait...

- yes, but you have to wait

- yes, you should wait longer for the non RWS car...

- Who knows, no one has driven it...

- ask Porsche...

- ask Porsche...

- who knows...

- seriously?

- November, maybe?

- ask Porsche...

TRAKCAR 03-17-2013 07:46 PM

What he said ^^
Keep your deposit, they will be 3 deep at the dealerships anyway. Place the deposit for the RS.

Mike in CA 03-17-2013 09:22 PM

Let me try:

Not good

Eventually

I doubt it

Nobody's driven it outside Porsche

No sunroof standard. No sunroof available.

Probably, just like the current GT3

Unknown, but likely similar to other Porsches

Who knows

Probably December

Ask Porsche, but when was the last time a Porsche went down in price?

Carrera GT 03-18-2013 11:02 AM

Put down the deposit, order the car to your spec, make the final decision once you're sitting behind the wheel and have to either write the check or get out.
As for questions, they're all up in the air and, I think immaterial to a decision to place the order.
If a manual became available during the order wait, you could change your order, but it's a long shot.
There are already seats available, but not orderable with the car.
Until there's a plethora of reviews, nobody has the faintest idea of what RWS feels like, especially once the car is set up on the track.
Nobody has driven it.
Sunroof is optional in the Carrera, not listed as feature of the US spec car.
Tracking does not "void" a warranty, but it can contribute to warranty support decisions in specific cases no matter the type of Porsche, speaking from first hand experience where Porsche supported the warranty in every case.
I doubt durability will be an issue -- my concerns will be related to quality assurance and testing, not durability.
I have to imagine they put some sticky rubber on the car and did 1000 laps of the ring to see if anything failed on that rear steer. The rest of the car, aside from the engine itself, is pretty much core business as usual for Porsche.
Since the car is made on the main Carrera line, it won't be in short supply. After "first kid on the block" buying, there is no practical reason for the car to be limited in allocation other than some perverse (and woefully misguided) dealer incentive. I'm tired of Porsche thinking that the incentive scheme to dealers should entail preventing a customer from buying a car.
I'm told the first cars are third quarter or "Fall" (whatever that is) but since it's a new way of building the Carrera, who knows, but I'd say expect cars before December.
Prices won't "increase" but Porsche (and VW) will surely be incrementing the prices on the whole menu with every model year and I don't see that as a compelling factor, or just about anything about the car as a compelling factor to order or not to order. The proof of this pudding is very much in the eating.

Justin N 03-18-2013 11:47 AM

I would agree on the manual trans not being available, except the configurator on the Porsche website does have PDK as an option. Not sure if that means anything.

Nizer 03-18-2013 12:02 PM

If the manual is not going to be available on the RS don't expect it on the daily driver:

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-...s-RS-for-2014/

Targa Tim 03-18-2013 01:40 PM

Where's my crystal ball? Damn, I can't answer most of the questions.

Dr.Bill 03-18-2013 03:03 PM

Most of your questions have no answer at this time.

The new GT3 should be a phenomenal car. Whether or not is is a phenomenal GT3 remains to be seen.

I'd leave a deposit and make sure it is fully refundable for any reason. Perhaps by the time the car is delivered, some of the answers will be available.

P_collector 03-18-2013 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by RayDBonz (Post 10310641)

The new GT3 should be a phenomenal car. Whether or not is is a phenomenal GT3 remains to be seen.

I'd leave a deposit and make sure it is fully refundable for any reason. Perhaps by the time the car is delivered, some of the answers will be available.

yes..thats the way to proceed ..some buyers are like seeing the breasts of Pamela Anderson..- without having seen the rest. ..:D

A car is like a women..better get the whole picture first before jumping into hasty decisions which can become very expensive afterwards..;)

StirlingMoss 03-18-2013 03:35 PM

Zero.

Possibly. Whatever you mean by 'proper'. Expect airbags included.

Is the Pope Catholic? *warning* *sarcasm*

Since production starts in July not many reports are done yet...

No sunroof.

Does the bear live in the woods?

Expect the rear wheels to fall off in the first corner. *warning* *sarcasm*

No idea.

November.

Is the bear Catholic?

Larry Cable 03-18-2013 03:47 PM

zero

not in N.A, they are available elsewhere, go look at the UK configurator

who knows?

none yet AKIAK

what snuroof?

yes in N.A

new engine, new gearbox, new diff, PTV+, new hubs ... who knows?

???

911dev 03-24-2013 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by RayDBonz (Post 10310641)

Most dealers will not refund a deposit post spec lock down; can't really blame them.

brake dust 03-25-2013 08:12 AM

Since the car is made on the main Carrera line, it won't be in short supply
997.2 GT3 was produced on the main line as well. Was the limited production of the .2 due to the engine and will the new GT3 engine limit production as well?

savyboy 03-25-2013 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by brake dust (Post 10329872)
997.2 GT3 was produced on the main line as well. Was the limited production of the .2 due to the engine and will the new GT3 engine limit production as well?

.2 was not "limited production". Only artificial "limited production" for 2RS/4.0.

Scarcity is the primary determinant of value. Artificially creating this perception of scarcity is what makes Porsche the most profitable car company in the world.

You could say Porsche is the DeBeers of cars.

Seriously folks?