Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   Alcantara Durability? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/745959-alcantara-durability.html)

PMAA 03-17-2013 08:56 AM

Alcantara Durability?

Does anyone have experience with the fiber alcantara? I get using it as a roof liner but just not sure how it will hold up in high use areas.

StirlingMoss 03-17-2013 12:10 PM

Yes. I had alcantara steering wheel and shifter in a previous Porsche. It did not look very nice after two years of wear. You can gently brush it to clean the fibers, but still far from leather durability.

SPD YLO 03-17-2013 01:27 PM

planned obsolescence

triode 03-17-2013 05:28 PM

I will say that although the Alcantara does not hold up as well as leather steering wheels/shift boots, it is far superior as a central portion of the seat - holds you in place like glue, versus all the gorgeous leather seats I had over the years which allowed me to slide around like a drunken penguin on ice. And after 3 1/2 years and 28,xxx miles, my Alcantara-centered seats are still perfect - except for the leather bolsters, which wear considerably no matter how careful one is during ingress/egress.

ny991 03-17-2013 05:58 PM

[QUOTE=triode;10308341]I will say that although the Alcantara does not hold up as well as leather steering wheels/shift boots, it is far superior as a central portion of the seat - holds you in place like glue, versus all the gorgeous leather seats I had over the years which allowed me to slide around like a drunken penguin on ice.

I have Alcantara centers in my S4 and they do hold you in place very well!

Macca 03-18-2013 01:35 AM

Hi PMAA. We have extensive experience now with this material in a number of vehicles. Its excellent for doors cards and seat cushions. For steering wheel and gear shift we have found a liberal and regular spray of 3M suede protector works great. Make sure you do this from new and cover the surrounding area so it doesn't get covered with the product....

Mike in CA 03-18-2013 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by Macca (Post 10309371)
Hi PMAA. We have extensive experience now with this material in a number of vehicles. Its excellent for doors cards and seat cushions. For steering wheel and gear shift we have found a liberal and regular spray of 3M suede protector works great. Make sure you do this from new and cover the surrounding area so it doesn't get covered with the product....

Interesting. Does using the protector darken or discolor the material? Does it change the feel of the steering wheel in particular?

Macca 03-18-2013 02:45 AM

Hi Mike. If you apply evenly it will darken grey or black alcantera until the solvent used in the product evaporates and then after a quick brush it is indistinguishable from the surrounding material. Its idea to test it on the underside of a seat squab first. If it were a light colour (such as Beige) the results could be different. This is a micro fiber product not dissimilar to the materials used on modern lounge suites etc. The 3M protectant simply make washing it down to remove stains later on easier and repeals dirt and stains in the first instance. I have used it on the bucket seat squabs in my 993 and re apply every year and they have remained looking fresh. Alcantera is a quality synthetic micro-suede similar to that used in the furniture industry and as such can be protected in a similar manner...

PMAA 03-18-2013 08:32 PM

Great information thanks guys!