Sponsored by:

991 GT3 sans rear wing???

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 12:17 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by achildofthesky
Respectfully, the point is because it is what I want.
No offense intended and none taken, but I am realistic with my use with the car and doubt it would spend less than 1% of it's time at speeds where a CS style spoiler would'nt be just fine. After all the C2S and C4S are capable of 170's+ (same I reckon for the "regular cooking" model Carreras).

I am not a race driver and do not plan on racing the car, just want the mind blowing acceleration and handling in a package that thrills me both performance wise and visually.

Just 1 gals opinion.

Be safe and thanks for your comment
Patty
Sounds like you actually want the new Turbo coming out...
That wing should be much smaller and retractable.
'' Mind blowing acceleration ''....100% Turbo
'' Handling ''...AWD Turbo
'' Street usability and comfort ''...Turbo.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:21 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Give the lady some space...she knows what she wants...and is prepared to pay for it.

And the Turbo...will not rev to 9000rpm...
Old 03-18-2013, 12:26 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S
Give the lady some space...she knows what she wants...and is prepared to pay for it.

And the Turbo...will not rev to 9000rpm...
I was just trying to be helpful...
I too want sunnyside eggs without the eggs...
Old 03-18-2013, 12:40 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Factory "Sport Design" package gives you a more aggressive look...the S model let's you "walk the talk"

Old 03-18-2013, 03:46 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,787 Likes on 2,193 Posts

Respectfully, the point is because it is what I want.
No offense intended and none taken, but I am realistic with my use with the car and doubt it would spend less than 1% of it's time at speeds where a CS style spoiler would'nt be just fine. After all the C2S and C4S are capable of 170's+ (same I reckon for the "regular cooking" model Carreras)?

I am not a race driver and do not plan on racing the car, just want the mind blowing acceleration and handling in a package that thrills me both performance wise and visually.

Just 1 gals opinion.

Be safe and thanks for your comment
Patty

P.S. Hothonda:
Nice looking ride. That ducktail on a white car looks great.
No worries, just offering input since you asked for it. Also, note that you can drive on the track (fast) without racing by doing track events. If you do that for a while, you may come to share my feeling that cars like the GT3 are 'wasted' with road-only use. But it's your dough, spend and enjoy.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:52 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hothonda
Factory "Sport Design" package gives you a more aggressive look...the S model let's you "walk the talk"
Oh yes!

More pics please
Old 03-18-2013, 04:32 PM
stom_m3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As this is my first post and at that about a not yet available Porsche 991, what to you reckon the chances of a 991 GT3 being with either a rear wing delete or the ability to retrofit a "standard" S model spoiler to the rear.

Yes, I am aware of the positive aerodynamic enhancements of the wing at speed of the massive rear wing, but given that in my case anyway, the car would be a DD and perhaps only occasionally tracked, if ever, to me it is an over kill to an other wise extremely attractive package.

Purists here may and likely will po-poo my my idea but as a responsible driver that enjoys motor sports in an appropriate venue the gynormous wing is something that will seldom (being painfully honest here) come into actual play with my perceived usage.
I completely get this. Myself, I want to put rear seats in the GT3. There are a lot of people that like aggressive, raw cars for DD's. My reality; 2 kids, DD, gear head, and of the 5-10k miles driven per year, 100-200 will be on the track. I love the clean looks of the standard 991 with the more aggressive font and rear bumper accoutrements. But like you, I like the threaded shock bodies, the rip of the exhaust roar, forged wheels, NA engine, titanium bits, more connected drive, etc. I'm willing to sacrifice a little more creature comforts for feel of a car.

I would love to get the GT3 but I may need to strap one of my kids to the roof...

Just kidding...

I would put him in the boot..
Old 03-18-2013, 04:46 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by StirlingMoss
Oh yes!

More pics please

Last edited by Hothonda; 03-18-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:33 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I posted here in 2010 or 2011 after running laps at Thunderhill with the wing off. The car is perfectly stable and well mannered. That track and that car mean about 130 mph top speed (into aero speeds, but only just) and the car didn't skip a beat.

There's also some pics of the rump of the car beside other 997's to show it in pseudo "duck tail" configuration. I prefer it aesthetically, it's far less pretentious, there's no risk of vandalism or theft (the wing can be removed with an electric screwdriver, gone in 60 seconds) and there's visibility out the rearview mirror.
While it probably doesn't matter to the OP, I must disagree a little on the effect of the wing at speed. I ran the same track on the same day with and without the wing. The difference is that the car feels just the same but the speed without the wing is probably 5 mph less for the same feeling. Especially noticeable in a long constant radius turn where the speeds are around 80 going in and 110 going out.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:43 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry L
While it probably doesn't matter to the OP, I must disagree a little on the effect of the wing at speed. I ran the same track on the same day with and without the wing. The difference is that the car feels just the same but the speed without the wing is probably 5 mph less for the same feeling. Especially noticeable in a long constant radius turn where the speeds are around 80 going in and 110 going out.
That's all in the same ballpark. I was hardly being scientific, but I wanted to explore in relative safety whether the car became unpleasant and it's quite benign.

At Thunderhill, there's a 130 turn-in, 110 apex and then a constant sweeper that reduces through the track out ... very useful for this kind of thing.

Then again, I was a bone stock car at the time. With lower ride height to "circuit" spec with Hoosiers and higher apex speeds, I might have the reverse experience and end up experiencing being literally reversed and off into the scenery using the rearview mirror to figure out what I might hit.

FWIW, when on track, I leave the wing on rather than tempt fate. For the very few times I'm on public roads, I leave it off in part to diminish the appearance of the car.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:47 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Carrera GT. Do you still have those pictures you can share with the duck tail on the car? Thanks for sharing that experience. Makes interesting feedback...
Old 03-18-2013, 09:02 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

The RGT8 is manual right
Old 03-18-2013, 09:04 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Hothonda

Fantastic looking car!
Please put clear corner lights in
Old 03-18-2013, 09:52 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

agreed. looks very nice.
these cars are nice daily drivers.
the 911's role as a trackcar is dying though.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:13 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
agreed. looks very nice.
these cars are nice daily drivers.
the 911's role as a trackcar is dying though.
True, predict many more I want a GT3 DD but don't want a GT3 track ready threads. Porsche wins.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 sans rear wing???