Sponsored by:

Ferrari F1 vs new version PDK?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 04:03 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts
Default Ferrari F1 vs new version PDK?

What is the difference now between these transmissions especially related to the new GT3? You hear so many people lambasting the PDK as an automatic transmission, but one hears very little criticism for the F cars. I would love to hear from folks who have owned/driven both. You usually see people driving the Ferraris in sporty fashion using the shift padddles. Do they also set it up so you can drive it in auto/sport plus mode like the Porsche? I'm thinking about trying the PDK coming from a long history of MTs.
Jim
Old 03-16-2013, 04:19 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
You hear so many people lambasting the PDK as an automatic transmission, but one hears very little criticism for the F cars.
The could either be down to the transmissions... or the people driving them

The transmissions are both of dual-clutch type. Ferrari's is supplied by Getrag (it is identical to the one in the AMG SLS) and Porsche's is supplied by ZF. My guess is they offer a very similar performance and experience.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:17 PM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

It's likely that people don't rip on the Ferrari's tranny because they offer no other choice. Why bitch about something that can't be changed? Also, their target audience would likely prefer an automated manual over a true manual anyway.

In time, no Porsche fan will whine about PDK either, especially when manuals will no longer be offered. Down the road, some will lament their passing, but it looks like the manual transmission time on earth is limited.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:44 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Doc. It is true what you say. There will be no manual GT car by the end of the 991 model run. The turbo and GT2 will be PDK only as well. Within a few years like you say it will become normal. Like water cooled is now. This is why I believe Porsche will not offer manual and PDK-S - it totally defeats the point of taking this path. Then we will be talking about electric hybrid GT cars in horror. The world turns and life goes on. I don't hear any F car owners complain about the 458 Italia...
Old 03-16-2013, 07:51 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Wrong path ;-)
Old 03-16-2013, 07:56 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I personally agree. But it is what it is. Will make a great DD. I doubt many will use then in competition - makes more sense to lighten up an earlier 996 GT3 etc. Im looking forward to trying this new tech after years of old skool old tech but like others if its too hard to adjust too selling and back dating will be easy enough.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:57 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

What is the difference now between these transmissions especially related to the new GT3? You hear so many people lambasting the PDK as an automatic transmission, but one hears very little criticism for the F cars. I would love to hear from folks who have owned/driven both. You usually see people driving the Ferraris in sporty fashion using the shift padddles. Do they also set it up so you can drive it in auto/sport plus mode like the Porsche? I'm thinking about trying the PDK coming from a long history of MTs.
Jim
The F1 is flat out awesome, and if the GT3 PDK is 75% as good as the F1, it will be very good. You can drive it in Race mode - fastest shifts and open exhaust valves.

The car has five modes: Wet, Sport, Race, Traction Control Off, Traction and Stability Control Off. I believe the GT3 will offer all but the Wet setting.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:05 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

I had a Stradale and a Scud. I am now on my 2nd 997.2 RS and am happy. Maybe I'm just really old school...but the guy I bought the Scud from sold it after 3k miles because he was bored with it. The guy I sold the Scud to 6 months ago is now selling it to get back into...a GT3.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:08 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The F1 is single clutch and i dont think its offered anymore. I believe all the current lineup of f cars all have dual clutch. Bmw moved from their smg (pos!) to dct.
I think lambo and lexus are the only makes offering singles.

The single clutch trannys are generally lighter but are way to jerkey and clutch life is not good.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:30 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3
The F1 is flat out awesome, and if the GT3 PDK is 75% as good as the F1, it will be very good. You can drive it in Race mode - fastest shifts and open exhaust valves.

The car has five modes: Wet, Sport, Race, Traction Control Off, Traction and Stability Control Off. I believe the GT3 will offer all but the Wet setting.
This is what I was interested in. It sounds like the F car is further evolved. 'Race' mode must be similar to sport plus with automatic shifting at higher RPM's if desired.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:33 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kosmo
The F1 is single clutch and i dont think its offered anymore. I believe all the current lineup of f cars all have dual clutch. Bmw moved from their smg (pos!) to dct.

The single clutch trannys are generally lighter but are way to jerkey and clutch life is not good.
Sorry for the confusion. I thought all modern F car transmissions were called F1 and are dual clutch.
j
Old 03-17-2013, 11:48 AM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Sorry for the confusion. I thought all modern F car transmissions were called F1 and are dual clutch.
j
Your first post is correct. The new dual clutch is also called F1.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:04 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 136 Posts

I liked the scud trans a little more than the 458 trans.

for street driving - they were both jerky / clumsy -hard to go slow smoothly. Also quite boring

on the track it's better - brilliantly fast shifts...etc.....but can still a sense of boring. Depends what your goal is - best lap times, or most involving challenge

i would probably still have my 458 if it was a manual

just my opinion
Old 03-17-2013, 02:39 PM
JCL59
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo

To chime in... Just drove a brand new Gallardo Super Trofeo at Amelia. Full on accelerations in corsa mode still had a noticeable hesitation between the violent shifting action. PDK in a 991S was so much faster and more user friendly IMO.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:33 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

As far as I know... which admittedly is not a lot... only Koenigsegg has managed to build an automated transmission which has can handle the torque (>1200Nm) and has the lower weight (81kg) of a manual transmission, but operating with the speed of a dual-clutch.

Quick Reply: Ferrari F1 vs new version PDK?