Sponsored by:

Ferrari F1 vs new version PDK?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 05:01 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Thanks, but my specific question was in response to the statement by cgomez that with a single clutch automanual it was still a "manual" because "you could manually select any gear your choose". Is a single single clutch manual somehow different in that respect from PDK in manual mode?
I think it depends on the implementation. The software in my E46 SMG box acted nearly identical to the E90 DSG box. You ticked up and down through the gears sequentially with +/1 concept, but if you asked for 2 gears down (quickly..like double clicking a mouse), and the revs allowed it, it would skip to that gear instead of hopping through gears in sequence. Both SMG and DSG seemed to behave the same way - and to my knowledge there is no reason why a dual clutch can't directly access any gear you want, but the time depends on the computer's pre-cognition of which gear you want and in which transmission it is in (odd or even gears). Single clutch, it takes the same time to select any gear. BMW also has no concept of automatically shifting in either tranmission, unless you are in auto mode, or the car thinks it will stall. It never up/downshift for you - it may ignore a stupid command..

But, to the reason for calling a single clutch an automated manual vs a dual clutch .... is that mechanically it is exactly that. Terminator is operating the same clutch and the same linkages for you, though in some cases the orientation of the gearing does not lend to the same H pattern humans are used to. It is also a TERRIBLE automatic in most implementations I've seen, so people rarely use it in automatic mode, track or otherwise. Maybe a way to think of it is that it has so many downsides as an fully automatic user experience, that it might be a tougher sell to call it an automatic. Dual clutch on the other hand is a totally different animal...it is so fast under most circumstances, and the disruption of power is so tiny (if any), that in automatic mode it really can take completely over for the driver and do a good job cruising or at the track.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:49 AM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by cgomez
So true!
I personally prefer the feel and most importantly lower weight of the ingle clutch automated clutch manuals (still a manual because you "manually" can select any gear you choose). PDK and double clutch are becoming the preferred choice only because they work better as full automatic (mode) and do better in Fuel Economy tests (in auto mode).
If companies were building track/race cars from scratch with disregard for Auto mode, they will certainly all come to single clutch automated solution (the RSR, and all GTE cars already are).
Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Thanks, but my specific question was in response to the statement by cgomez that with a single clutch automanual it was still a "manual" because "you could manually select any gear your choose". Is a single single clutch manual somehow different in that respect from PDK in manual mode?
Both can operate in manual mode, and when in manual mode, you can select the gear you need in both single and dual. In a single clutch, there is a momentary interruption of power, and you feel the shift much more than in a dual clutch.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:50 AM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by docfink
It's likely that people don't rip on the Ferrari's tranny because they offer no other choice. Why bitch about something that can't be changed?
Somebody should ask everybody in the 991 GT3 forum this...
Old 03-27-2013, 01:16 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,720 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
What is the difference now between these transmissions especially related to the new GT3? You hear so many people lambasting the PDK as an automatic transmission, but one hears very little criticism for the F cars. I would love to hear from folks who have owned/driven both. You usually see people driving the Ferraris in sporty fashion using the shift padddles. Do they also set it up so you can drive it in auto/sport plus mode like the Porsche? I'm thinking about trying the PDK coming from a long history of MTs.
Jim
I am a former Ferrari owner (with proper manual gated shifter) and you may consider this my complaint about the F1 and DCT paddle-shift F-cars. I won't ever buy one...
Old 03-27-2013, 02:34 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3
Both can operate in manual mode, and when in manual mode, you can select the gear you need in both single and dual. In a single clutch, there is a momentary interruption of power, and you feel the shift much more than in a dual clutch.
That's what I thought. PDK also has the "double click" feature, ie the ability to flick the paddle and have it skip a gear(s) going down as well as being able to hold the paddle and have it keep downshifting until you let go.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 03-29-2013 at 07:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Ferrari F1 vs new version PDK?