Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   Andreas Preuninger and the 991 gt3 - and 10RS (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/745477-andreas-preuninger-and-the-991-gt3-and-10rs.html)

Scary 03-14-2013 01:31 AM

Andreas Preuninger and the 991 gt3 - and 10RS

2 Attachment(s)
I cant help but comment on the EVO Andreas Preuninger991 Gt3 'interview' over the 991 Gt3. It reminded me of the glowing 997 3.8 Gt3 RS interview walking around the grey and red RS. I went and found my 'old' 2010 magazines and i quote the May 2010 Top Gear magazine where the white 3.8 GT3 RS is tested. I quote Andreas in this magazine " Grandma's can use paddles. They are not challenging'. What has changed between 2010 and 2013? I bought a new 997 Gt3 Rs 3.8 that is grey and red and was surprised to hear that it was so soon 'old news' with the release of the 4 litre and this too is now old news with the 991 gt3. I fast learnt when the 4 litre came on to the market that we will be told whatever we need to be told. As addicts to the brand we will far too easily lap it up.
This morning at 5am I took the RS for a morning drive. Not too extreme but enough for it to dawn on me that the 991 Gt3 may be a great drive at 9k flat changing but the drive at 3k to 5k just driving around will change forever the experience. it will be like a boxster. I track my RS and do hill climbs and buzz for 24 hours after a track event. I drive it to work once a week and for morning squirts and the life in the transmission, throttle and steering is mind blowing. I cant see how a 991 gt3 auto with lipstick will achieve any excitement or engagement at street speeds. I have not had any issues with the RS centre locks by the way. The 991 GT3 RS may prove to be a keeper but the 991 Gt3 is no 997 Gt3 RS in my opinion. Wrong section for 997 RS photos but I cant resist...

StirlingMoss 03-14-2013 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by Scary (Post 10299414)
I cant help but comment on the EVO Andreas Preuninger991 Gt3 'interview' over the 991 Gt3. It reminded me of the glowing 997 3.8 Gt3 RS interview walking around the grey and red RS. I went and found my 'old' 2010 magazines and i quote the May 2010 Top Gear magazine where the white 3.8 GT3 RS is tested. I quote Andreas in this magazine " Grandma's can use paddles. They are not challenging'. What has changed between 2010 and 2013? I bought a new 997 Gt3 Rs 3.8 that is grey and red and was surprised to hear that it was so soon 'old news' with the release of the 4 litre and this too is now old news with the 991 gt3. I fast learnt when the 4 litre came on to the market that we will be told whatever we need to be told. As addicts to the brand we will far too easily lap it up.
This morning at 5am I took the RS for a morning drive. Not too extreme but enough for it to dawn on me that the 991 Gt3 may be a great drive at 9k flat changing but the drive at 3k to 5k just driving around will change forever the experience. it will be like a boxster. I track my RS and do hill climbs and buzz for 24 hours after a track event. I drive it to work once a week and for morning squirts and the life in the transmission, throttle and steering is mind blowing. I cant see how a 991 gt3 auto with lipstick will achieve any excitement or engagement at street speeds. I have not had any issues with the RS centre locks by the way. The 991 GT3 RS may prove to be a keeper but the 991 Gt3 is no 997 Gt3 RS in my opinion. Wrong section for 997 RS photos but I cant resist...

Then keep your current GT3 and everyone will stay happy :D

Great looking car by the way! Love the gray/red combo :thumbup:

Bill_C4S 03-14-2013 05:52 AM

but..yet again..we're reaching conclusions...without having driven the damn thing..

Sheesh.....991 GT3 forum is now conjecture central.....

P_collector 03-14-2013 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Scary (Post 10299414)

Hi Scary,

Nice picture..:thumbup:

AP really said that: " Grandma's can use paddles. They are not challenging'.

Can you scan this ..? Cant believe it..tomorrow he will tell us that pink 991 GT3s will be faster then white ones..just to get more pink ones sold..

PS: didnt he say - "Im not a marketing guy..

Sad..

Slowekistan 03-14-2013 08:35 AM

The "revving to 9k" and 10k tacho are turning out to be just sad marketing gimmicks - see the 991 gt3 dyno figures.

StirlingMoss 03-14-2013 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Slowekistan (Post 10299704)
The "revving to 9k" and 10k tacho are turning out to be just sad marketing gimmicks - see the 991 gt3 dyno figures.

Oh you already drove it? How was it? :-)

Marketing figures? Sigh.

911rox 03-14-2013 09:24 AM

Hi Scary and welcome! Yep, your sentiments are shared by many... Myself included. Your car has proven its worthy of the GT3 badge... The new car can't claim the same just yet!

Enjoy! :thumbup:

jumper5836 03-14-2013 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Porsche.collector (Post 10299629)
Hi Scary,

Nice picture..:thumbup:

AP really said that: " Grandma's can use paddles. They are not challenging'.

Can you scan this ..? Cant believe it..tomorrow he will tell us that pink 991 GT3s will be faster then white ones..just to get more pink ones sold..

PS: didnt he say - "Im not a marketing guy..

Sad..

I brought this up in the other AP thread.

He said it for Top gear interview
"Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging"

He also said
"The manual gearbox in the GT3 is the best match for the purist."
Source Porsche 911 GT3 First Drive Video. | October 01, 2009 | Edmunds

From 06 March 2013 interview he said in this interview when talking about why they choose PDK.

"And on a race track the PDK gains three-quarters of a car length with every shift, so after a long straight you’re ahead of the other car and can turn-in in front of him."

To me that is fine, PDK is faster but really do I care. No I'd rather lose the car length and enjoy beating my own drum. After all the GT3 is about having the rawest version of the latest generation car and keeping it the most involving experience, It not about racing.

I am waiting to see the specs of the Turbo and if it's offered in manual, based of the C4S chassis I am expecting it to also to be the lightest water cooled Turbo ever and with the GT3 weight now at 3150 lbs. I'm guessing it to be very close in weight and a lot of the gizmos as pay for options.

Slowekistan 03-14-2013 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by StirlingMoss (Post 10299730)
Oh you already drove it? How was it? :-)

Marketing figures? Sigh.

Look, no doubt this car would blow my socks off - well beyond my skills and physical capabilities to even appreciate the level of performance it offers. With a bit of luck and some german engineering this new mass produced engine might turn out to be the "next" Mezger. Who knows? But the released dyno figures severely diluted my Porsche kool-aid.

P_collector 03-14-2013 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by jumper5836 (Post 10299793)
I brought this up in the other AP thread.

He said it for Top gear interview
"Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging"

He also said
"The manual gearbox in the GT3 is the best match for the purist."
Source Porsche 911 GT3 First Drive Video. | October 01, 2009 | Edmunds

From 06 March 2013 interview he said in this interview when talking about why they choose PDK.

"And on a race track the PDK gains three-quarters of a car length with every shift, so after a long straight you’re ahead of the other car and can turn-in in front of him."

To me that is fine, PDK is faster but really do I care. No I'd rather lose the car length and enjoy beating my own drum. After all the GT3 is about having the rawest version of the latest generation car and keeping it the most involving experience, It not about racing.

I am waiting to see the specs of the Turbo and if it's offered in manual, based of the C4S chassis I am expecting it to also to be the lightest water cooled Turbo ever and with the GT3 weight now at 3150 lbs. I'm guessing it to be very close in weight and a lot of the gizmos as pay for options.

Thanks..I think everything is clear now with regards to his credibility....

Targa Tim 03-14-2013 01:03 PM

Maybe he just becomes a grandpa, who knows.:rolleyes:

-eztrader- 03-14-2013 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Targa Tim (Post 10300270)

hahaha

StirlingMoss 03-14-2013 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Targa Tim (Post 10300270)

:roflmao: Haha, good one.

Riz 03-14-2013 06:18 PM

Andreas Preuninger - New title: Head of GT marketing

That is really all he is - he is only fooling some of the people. GT3 and RS' always had the cup car engine. They can do anything they want with the GT3 as long as they run the same engine in the race car. I think this is all we want. I know the game has moved on but is this too much to ask?

MM3.9GT3 03-14-2013 06:30 PM

You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.

Abraham Lincoln