Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Andreas Preuninger and the 991 gt3 - and 10RS

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 04:46 AM
Scary
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just following on from my post regarding the 2010 RS and AP. Yesterday I got up at dawn to take the RS for a quite run and just innocently pulled at a set of traffic lights pushed in the clutch day dreaming putting it in to neutral to listen to the LWFW rattle and rattle away that now defines the RS. It hit be like a brick. If I was in the 991 GT3 I would just have the engine stop i expect to save me petrol. I don't want to be saved. I know times have moved on put it is Porsche itself who kept us pure. It argued for 60 years keeping with history of the engine in the rear, the 50 year old 911 silhouette unchanged. what would the 997gt2rs be if it had a PDK? Anyone who has driven a gt2 I ask to think what that would be like with a PDK? Boring I believe you would say. I like to drive my cars. Not be driven. There is a difference.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:55 AM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

The 991 GT3 does not have start-stop...
Old 03-16-2013, 11:56 AM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by StirlingMoss
The 991 GT3 does not have start-stop...
Yet - - keep our fingers crossed
Old 03-16-2013, 01:21 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
Yet - - keep our fingers crossed
Where it is heading we don't know. Might well be electric in 10 years
Old 03-16-2013, 02:18 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Scary
Just following on from my post regarding the 2010 RS and AP. Yesterday I got up at dawn to take the RS for a quite run and just innocently pulled at a set of traffic lights pushed in the clutch day dreaming putting it in to neutral to listen to the LWFW rattle and rattle away that now defines the RS. It hit be like a brick. If I was in the 991 GT3 I would just have the engine stop i expect to save me petrol.
The GT3 is not supposed to have engine start/stop. But even if it did, the start/stop feature comes with an "off" button that stays turned off, ie you don't have to reset it every time you start up. Your imagined scenario won't happen.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:11 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
And his employer should've looked back on what his employee said not too long ago and make sure he somehow washes his hands.
Let's face it : we are just a bunch of enthusiasts and were able to dig this dirt yet a big company like Porsche couldn't straighten this out. They have a whole PR department and their employees need to know and measure EXACTLY every word that comes out of their mouth because it can turn against them,which it did!
somehow agree..there can be no 100% excuse for AP - I know he doesnt take these decisions, but:

1) When he mentioned this..(grandma´s) etc..the 997.2S PDK existed already..could he foresee that Porsche politcis force him to abandon 3 years later the manual?..probably not..

2) Nonetheless, using the words "Im not a marketing guy"..just makes things worse..- no matter if you are on his side or not, fact is that a company has turned around compeltely on one issue..in three years..

Lets go back the real world - would a CEO or Apple, BMW, Tesco, Vodafone whatever..be credible if he/shes acts in the same way (for example: first buying another copmany only to sell it three years later with the excuse _ market trends have changed)? Very likely not..we cannot put different standards to Porsche and the rest. By all my respect for Porsche..the passion etc..its a company like any other..needs to make profit etc..but from these companies I expect a better and more honest communication. After all, Porsche without customers is nothing..so the first thing a company needs to do is:
LISTEN TO THE CUSTOMER (in this case it has intentionally not been done - 100% of 996& 997 GT3 were manual).

CEOs/polictians etc were already removed for much smaller things. The only argument in his defence (and bing the strongest one I think) is that he was the only one who gave us this interview, if the news about no manual would have come from the CEO directly..our anger would turn against him..but even then he could claim not having joked with grandma´s.

AP is still the man behind the 4.0, GT2RS etc..one of the finest cars ever...but this has certainly diminshed his credibility..
Old 03-16-2013, 03:24 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Porsche.collector
somehow agree..there can be no 100% excuse for AP - I know he doesnt take these decisions, but:

1) When he mentioned this..(grandma´s) etc..the 997.2S PDK existed already..could he foresee that Porsche politcis force him to abandon 3 years later the manual?..probably not..

2) Nonetheless, using the words "Im not a marketing guy"..just makes things worse..- no matter if you are on his side or not, fact is that a company has turned around compeltely on one issue..in three years..

Lets go back the real world - would a CEO or Apple, BMW, Tesco, Vodafone whatever..be credible if he/shes acts in the same way (for example: first buying another copmany only to sell it three years later with the excuse _ market trends have changed)? Very likely not..we cannot put different standards to Porsche and the rest. By all my respect for Porsche..the passion etc..its a company like any other..needs to make profit etc..but from these companies I expect a better and more honest communication. After all, Porsche without customers is nothing..so the first thing a company needs to do is:
LISTEN TO THE CUSTOMER (in this case it has intentionally not been done - 100% of 996& 997 GT3 were manual).

CEOs/polictians etc were already removed for much smaller things. The only argument in his defence (and bing the strongest one I think) is that he was the only one who gave us this interview, if the news about no manual would have come from the CEO directly..our anger would turn against him..but even then he could claim not having joked with grandma´s.

AP is still the man behind the 4.0, GT2RS etc..one of the finest cars ever...but this has certainly diminshed his credibility..
C'mon Andreas. You and others make this all sound so sinister and nefarious. Isn't it at least possible that the guy had new technology and test results that swayed his thinking? Imagine where we'd be if no one ever changed their mind when presented with new evidence. Have you never done a 180 on something, ever?

The way people are hammering Preuninger and questioning his professional integrity for changing his mind about a gearbox, of all things, is rather shameful.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:24 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
The way people are hammering Preuninger and questioning his professional integrity for changing his mind about a gearbox, of all things, is rather shameful.
+1

Shocking to read what people dream up based on a few comments which are far from the complete picture.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:31 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Originally Posted by Porsche.collector
..so the first thing a company needs to do is:
Rubbish. This assumes it is the full customer base. The full customer base might be 3 times higher with a non-manual car. With 100% certainty, Porsche has done their customer homework before this controversial decision for PDK only.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:05 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
Don't agree with Porsche's direction with this car but certainly don't agree with this statement... AP most certainly isn't an embarrassment. Too many people judging AP personally for comments and opinions made on behalf of his employer! These changes in position are those of Porsche that he must parrot. We don't know APs true personal feelings on the GT3 evolution. Maybe he always felt the manual sucked and had to tell us its the best option because they had no other option at the time! Who knows...

Don't shoot the messenger fellas, he deserves better than that. Those way higher than AP are calling the shots, he's just taking the heat... Go easy...

Just saying...
I was saying that as well, however he should refrain from making such strong and seemingly passionate statements only to stick his foot in his mouth a couple of years later making equally strong statements in the opposite direction. He could have played it neutral before as well as now rather than being extremist on both sides. Makes himself look stupid regardless of whose calling the shots. He sounds like a lying politician.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:42 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
The GT3 is not supposed to have engine start/stop. But even if it did, the start/stop feature comes with an "off" button that stays turned off, ie you don't have to reset it every time you start up. Your imagined scenario won't happen.

Copyright Porsche AG
Old 03-16-2013, 06:47 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StirlingMoss
+1

Shocking to read what people dream up based on a few comments which are far from the complete picture.
Concur.

Oh why let discerning reason and judgement...nay context...interfere with the baleful wailing of a child...who's had his toy's taken away...

Sheesh.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:53 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Hothonda

Copyright Porsche AG
Sorry, but that 'Race Track' button will be replaced in the US spec 991 gt3 by one simply labeled 'Street'!

Saludos,
Eduardo

OK, we are back to green at Sebring...got to go!
Old 03-16-2013, 07:54 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Should just say void warranty.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:03 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Hothonda

Copyright Porsche AG
Like I said, no start/stop (although we can't see one button position in that photo). Regardless, if it had start/stop there would be an off button.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 03-16-2013 at 08:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Andreas Preuninger and the 991 gt3 - and 10RS