Sponsored by:

Andreas Preuninger and the 991 gt3 - and 10RS

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 10:13 PM
ScorpionT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by StirlingMoss
Yes, totally. I almost feel like the time I found out Santa Claus does not exist.
Wait... Santa Claus is NOT real?

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Something to consider, the Top Gear interview was in April 2010. The Edmunds quote was from October 2009. There have been significant advances in the PDK since then.

More to the point, the 991 GT3 and the new engine didn't even exist when he made those statements. It seems possible, and all the other issues aside, that after testing the manual and PDK with the new powerplant the revised 7sp PDK proved to be a better match than the 6 speed manual. Reasonable people can change their minds when presented with new information and circumstances. Just a thought.
Grandmas can still use paddles, and they are now less challenging than ever.

A manual gearbox is still the best fit for a purist. The PDK dilutes the experience by taking away functions the driver should perform. Im not concerned about the lap times, I want to get the most enjoyment from the car.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:14 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Something to consider, the Top Gear interview was in April 2010. The Edmunds quote was from October 2009. There have been significant advances in the PDK since then.

More to the point, the 991 GT3 and the new engine didn't even exist when he made those statements. It seems possible, and all the other issues aside, that after testing the manual and PDK with the new powerplant the revised 7sp PDK proved to be a better match than the 6 speed manual. Reasonable people can change their minds when presented with new information and circumstances. Just a thought.
Yah they reverse the gear shift level and added F1 paddles. Yee haw.

Then they added better timing for computer to be smarter for automatic gear shifting, again. Yee haw. Screw that.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:22 PM
Porsche Wheel House
2nd Gear

When my wife told me to trade in my GT3 for the 991 so that she could drive it too, that made up my mind. I'm waiting for a couple of years to get the RS with manual shift.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:49 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Mike,I'm with you,but I don't think anybody would've been this upset if they didn't offer a manual in a Carrera or Carrera S,but the GT3?! The iconic sports/track raw car?!
I understand PDK is a much faster,better transmission and I'm glad they're offering it,but should we really believe that Porsche couldn't have made the effort to offer both on this iconic sports/track raw car?!
I will admit something here : I used to be one of the people,at the beginning of my time on this board,making fun of folks driving an automatic transmission,yet I was so wrong! I've learned in time that the people I was making fun of were enthusiasts like me that drove manuals for longer than I was born but chose to drive an automatic for other reasons and I respect that! Why can't Porsche respect us too and give us a manual?
neanicu, I don't know the answer to that. I suspect it wasn't an easy choice and the development team apparently went back and forth on the issue. We don't know all of the factors involved; engineering considerations, performance targets, financial and production realities, sales data, what have you. Offering two transmissions probably wasn't the no-brainer some people think it should have been. OTOH, maybe Porsche and their new VW overlords really are evil and stupid, and don't care about cars or alienating their loyal customers.

Personally, I think the first scenario is more likely, although that said, I could wish for a perfect world where we would all have had a choice. I've noticed, though, that the world isn't perfect. I honestly feel badly for the people who are disappointed by Porsche's decision.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:52 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836

Then they added better timing for computer to be smarter for automatic gear shifting, again. Yee haw. Screw that.
Plus One
Old 03-15-2013, 11:01 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by ScorpionT
Grandmas can still use paddles, and they are now less challenging than ever.

A manual gearbox is still the best fit for a purist. The PDK dilutes the experience by taking away functions the driver should perform. Im not concerned about the lap times, I want to get the most enjoyment from the car.

I'm not arguing with your opinions about PDK. If you're not feeling it, you're not feeling it.

What I was responding to was the chatter about Preuninger being some kind of jerk because he had changed his mind about things he said 3 or 4 years ago. He now has several years more experience with the systems involved, and knowledge of how the new car/engine drives with PDK compared to with a MT. If you had his information and had driven the car, you might or might not feel differently than you do, but you should at least be able to see that it could lead someone else to a different conclusion than they reached before.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:05 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

I like my pdk...but about the wife driving...I ordered my GTS without Bose, no Navi, GT2 Sport Buckets which ya know are manual, and put 6 point harness in. She won't drive it, thinks its stupid. Problem solved
Old 03-15-2013, 11:16 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

neanicu, I don't know the answer to that. I suspect it wasn't an easy choice and the development team apparently went back and forth on the issue. We don't know all of the factors involved; engineering considerations, performance targets, financial and production realities, sales data, what have you. Offering two transmissions probably wasn't the no-brainer some people think it should have been. OTOH, maybe Porsche and their new VW overlords really are evil and stupid, and don't care about cars or alienating their loyal customers.

Personally, I think the first scenario is more likely, although that said, I could wish for a perfect world where we would all have had a choice. I've noticed, though, that the world isn't perfect. I honestly feel badly for the people who are disappointed by Porsche's decision.
Mike,thank you for your honest opinion!
I'm glad you see where I'm coming from,I just wish Porsche did too.
Other than their transmission choice I really like the car and would've ordered it without a second thought. I'll also refrain from judging it without actually had driven it.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:16 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

Technically, they claim the internals are different, stronger and lighter, etc, and the gear ratios are exactly what you'd want.

Whether or not you want PDK, it does seem like they waited until PDK was "worthy" of being put in a GT3.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:08 AM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S
..we're reaching conclusions...without having driven the damn thing..
Have to agree.

Sometimes it's tough to face changes and evolution, these cars have to stay competitive in a technology based generation now. It could be seriously 10 years from now and no brand new cars will be offered with a manual transmission.

At least you'll always have the option to choose from many great 911 variants of the past, so everyone can stay satisfied.

And yes AP has to agree and say what is approved by his employer - Porsche. Anybody employed by a large organization knows these press conferences etc are micro-managed and rehearsed to say the correct things to make sales!

To the OP, great looking car!
Old 03-16-2013, 12:22 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
AP is an embarrassment to Ferdinand Porsche and to the Porsche name in general. He's also an embarrassment to Germans in general,which are known for their word and correctitude.
Don't agree with Porsche's direction with this car but certainly don't agree with this statement... AP most certainly isn't an embarrassment. Too many people judging AP personally for comments and opinions made on behalf of his employer! These changes in position are those of Porsche that he must parrot. We don't know APs true personal feelings on the GT3 evolution. Maybe he always felt the manual sucked and had to tell us its the best option because they had no other option at the time! Who knows...

Don't shoot the messenger fellas, he deserves better than that. Those way higher than AP are calling the shots, he's just taking the heat... Go easy...

Just saying...
Old 03-16-2013, 12:25 AM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
Don't agree with Porsche's direction with this car but certainly don't agree with this statement... AP most certainly isn't an embarrassment. Too many people judging AP personally for comments and opinions made on behalf of his employer! These changes in position are those of Porsche that he must parrot. We don't know APs true personal feelings on the GT3 evolution. Maybe he always felt the manual sucked and had to tell us its the best option because they had no other option at the time! Who knows...

Don't shoot the messenger fellas, he deserves better than that. Those way higher than AP are calling the shots, he's just taking the heat... Go easy...

Just saying...
Very good point!
Old 03-16-2013, 12:49 AM
1198r
Pro

Originally Posted by Porsche Wheel House
When my wife told me to trade in my GT3 for the 991 so that she could drive it too, that made up my mind. I'm waiting for a couple of years to get the RS with manual shift.
Yeah, I like to see my wife's legs in the short mini skirt and high heels working those pedals...
Old 03-16-2013, 03:45 AM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Knight
Have to agree.

Sometimes it's tough to face changes and evolution, these cars have to stay competitive in a technology based generation now. It could be seriously 10 years from now and no brand new cars will be offered with a manual transmission.

At least you'll always have the option to choose from many great 911 variants of the past, so everyone can stay satisfied.

And yes AP has to agree and say what is approved by his employer - Porsche. Anybody employed by a large organization knows these press conferences etc are micro-managed and rehearsed to say the correct things to make sales!

To the OP, great looking car!
+1
Old 03-16-2013, 03:46 AM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 911rox
Well said

Quick Reply: Andreas Preuninger and the 991 gt3 - and 10RS