Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Andreas Preuninger and the 991 gt3 - and 10RS

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 05:23 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

AP needs speech lessons from Obama to improve his BS. It doesn't matter what he really thinks,he needs to be a good little tool boy and sell the nice crap.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:36 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

...and there the thread went down the slippery slope of US politics
Old 03-15-2013, 06:35 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

But, AP is not a "marketing guy". Those are his words, and the implication is that marketing guys spin the facts while engineering guys tell the truth. Right now, his credibility is so low that a hooker claiming to be a virgin will be more believable than AP.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:02 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was trying to throw AP a bone since he obviously has his hands tied. I agree, he has no credibility now, at least as far as many enthusiasts are concerned.

But it's possible that this was not his decision and he's been forced to go along with it and thereby defend it. That may not be in his control. Hard to pass judgement on that. I mean this is VW Porsche and all.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:17 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

...or maybe he was not convinced of PDK earlier, but has now changed his mind after testing manual and PDK equipped GT3's side by side.

We don't know and we should not judge him without knowing the full story.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:37 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by StirlingMoss
...or maybe he was not convinced of PDK earlier, but has now changed his mind after testing manual and PDK equipped GT3's side by side.

I assume by that you mean it's possible he's not one of the "my mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts.........or a test drive" crowd!
Old 03-15-2013, 07:45 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

AP is an embarrassment to Ferdinand Porsche and to the Porsche name in general. He's also an embarrassment to Germans in general,which are known for their word and correctitude.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:47 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I assume by that you mean it's possible he's not one of the "my mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts.........or a test drive" crowd!
Old 03-15-2013, 07:49 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Originally Posted by neanicu
AP is an embarrassment to Ferdinand Porsche and to the Porsche name in general. He's also an embarrassment to Germans in general,which are known for their word and correctitude.
Yes, totally. I almost feel like the time I found out Santa Claus does not exist.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:56 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Oh please don't go there. He isn't; and history is still fresh..

And guys, please no politics in here. We have the perfect place to discuss them (and probably nobody will read them..).

Best,
Old 03-15-2013, 08:45 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sure......... like the gt3 is the first pdk equipped car he had driven prior to that interview.

His credibility is ruined regardless. Im trying to give him the benefit of the doubt though anything he says now will be taken with a grain of salt.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:09 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Originally Posted by wanna911

Sure......... like the gt3 is the first pdk equipped car he had driven prior to that interview.

His credibility is ruined regardless. Im trying to give him the benefit of the doubt though anything he says now will be taken with a grain of salt.
So you believed every word of Porsche marketing up until now? There is never credibility in marketing and all these magazine and video interviews are nothing else than clever marketing. It has nothing with AP to do. He just represents his employer.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:18 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

So you believed every word of Porsche marketing up until now? There is never credibility in marketing and all these magazine and video interviews are nothing else than clever marketing. It has nothing with AP to do. He just represents his employer.
And his employer should've looked back on what his employee said not too long ago and make sure he somehow washes his hands.
Let's face it : we are just a bunch of enthusiasts and were able to dig this dirt yet a big company like Porsche couldn't straighten this out. They have a whole PR department and their employees need to know and measure EXACTLY every word that comes out of their mouth because it can turn against them,which it did!
Old 03-15-2013, 09:21 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911

And his employer should've looked back on what his employee said not too long ago and make sure he somehow washes his hands.
Let's face it : we are just a bunch of enthusiasts and were able to dig this dirt yet a big company like Porsche couldn't straighten this out. They have a whole PR department and their employees need to know and measure EXACTLY every word that comes out of their mouth because it can turn against them,which it did!
Something to consider, the Top Gear interview was in April 2010. The Edmunds quote was from October 2009. There have been significant advances in the PDK since then.

More to the point, the 991 GT3 and the new engine didn't even exist when he made those statements. It seems possible, and all the other issues aside, that after testing the manual and PDK with the new powerplant the revised 7sp PDK proved to be a better match than the 6 speed manual. Reasonable people can change their minds when presented with new information and circumstances. Just a thought.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:43 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Something to consider, the Top Gear interview was in April 2010. The Edmunds quote was from October 2009. There have been significant advances in the PDK since then.

More to the point, the 991 GT3 and the new engine didn't even exist when he made those statements. It seems possible, and all the other issues aside, that after testing the manual and PDK with the new powerplant the revised 7sp PDK proved to be a better match than the 6 speed manual. Reasonable people can change their minds when presented with new information and circumstances. Just a thought.
Mike,I'm with you,but I don't think anybody would've been this upset if they didn't offer a manual in a Carrera or Carrera S,but the GT3?! The iconic sports/track raw car?!
I understand PDK is a much faster,better transmission and I'm glad they're offering it,but should we really believe that Porsche couldn't have made the effort to offer both on this iconic sports/track raw car?!
I will admit something here : I used to be one of the people,at the beginning of my time on this board,making fun of folks driving an automatic transmission,yet I was so wrong! I've learned in time that the people I was making fun of were enthusiasts like me that drove manuals for longer than I was born but chose to drive an automatic for other reasons and I respect that! Why can't Porsche respect us too and give us a manual?

Quick Reply: Andreas Preuninger and the 991 gt3 - and 10RS