Order GT3 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices
991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Sponsored by:

Order GT3

 
Old 03-13-2013, 09:35 AM
  #1  
Arth
User
Thread Starter
 
Arth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 405
Default Order GT3

Well, dealer is getting allocations tomorrow and I will be going in to place the final order. Specs so far are below

Description
911 GT3

Exterior Colour
White
Black leather interior, seats leather/Alcantara in conjunction w. option contrast seams in Red
Full LED headlights incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS +)
90l-Fuel tank

Transmission / Chassis
Lifting system front axle
Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)

Wheels
20-inch GT3 wheel

Interior
Seat belts in Guards Red
Floor mats
Smoking package
6-point belt passengers side
Club sports package
Sports Bucket Seats

Interior Leather
Decorative seams leather interior package in Red

Audio / Comm.
Chrono Package code number 640
Sound Package Plus
Porsche Communication Management (PCM) including navigation module with universal audio interface


The only two options i'm considering removing are the PCM. I selected it cause i'm not sure if launch control/engine mounts/sports+ button require it. it also forces you to take Sound package plus which I would not want as well.
the US configurator says that the sports chrono code 640 give you all the above performance options and the chrono code 639 is just for the wart. still a bit confused on this as the UAE configurator doesn't mention any of that.

The second is the lift upfront. we have great roads here in the UAE but there are the occasional speed bumps that pop up and are sometimes not very considerate of low cars. what I don't like is the extra weight it will be adding.

any options you guys think i should add or remove?

thanks for your help.
Arth is offline  
Old 03-13-2013, 10:30 AM
  #2  
911rox
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
911rox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Regretfully not at a track... :(
Posts: 2,473
Default

Keep the front lift if it will make the car more usable for you... Its only 6-7kg at the front of the car which is ideal... Never was a fan of PCM for the price but if you like it, take it...
911rox is offline  
Old 03-13-2013, 02:20 PM
  #3  
Mike in CA
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Mike in CA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: North Bay Area, CA
Posts: 11,865
Default

I think the US configurator is incorrect on the Sport Chrono functions. Launch control, dynamic engine mounts, and sport button are all standard, from what I've read and don't require PCM or Sport chrono. Sport chrono just provides timing functions, which is why it's only a USD$400 option. It is confusing when they post conflicting information.

I agree with Chris regarding front axle lift. It's a bit of extra weight, but it's at the front of the car which is good. I will probably need it to make sure I can clear my own driveway entrance.

Nice build. Congrats!
Mike in CA is offline  
Old 03-13-2013, 04:26 PM
  #4  
Larry Cable
Super User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 16,979
Default ???

clubsport pkg, sports buckets, are those actually available RoW???

SoB! ... there they are on the GB website!

seats: http://www.porsche.com/uk/models/911...l/?gtabindex=5

clubsport: http://www.porsche.com/uk/models/911...l/?gtabindex=4
Larry Cable is offline  
Old 03-13-2013, 04:30 PM
  #5  
Mike in CA
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Mike in CA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: North Bay Area, CA
Posts: 11,865
Default

^^ Yup, so obviously Porsche intended the car to have them. I think PCNA is the sticking point for us.....
Mike in CA is offline  
Old 03-13-2013, 04:34 PM
  #6  
Larry Cable
Super User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 16,979
Default

Originally Posted by Mike in CA View Post
^^ Yup, so obviously Porsche intended the car to have them. I think PCNA is the sticking point for us.....
I am thinking of a word that begins with 'F' and rhymes with "suckers" ... they could at least give us the sports buckets for pete's sake!
Larry Cable is offline  
Old 03-13-2013, 04:42 PM
  #7  
Mike in CA
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Mike in CA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: North Bay Area, CA
Posts: 11,865
Default

Originally Posted by Larry Cable View Post
I am thinking of a word that begins with 'F' and rhymes with "suckers" ... they could at least give us the sports buckets for pete's sake!
I'll defer to that and coudn't agree more that they should be offered. I'd consider swapping the buckets from my Carrera but Cocoa in the GT 3 and black in my Carrera probably wouldn't work!
Mike in CA is offline  
Old 03-13-2013, 04:47 PM
  #8  
Larry Cable
Super User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 16,979
Default

Originally Posted by Mike in CA View Post
I'll defer to that and coudn't agree more that they should be offered. I'd consider swapping the buckets from my Carrera but Cocoa in the GT 3 and black in my Carrera probably wouldn't work!
I also like that they finally put a GT3 logo on them...

I acquired mooty's RS buckets and installed them in my car ... very nice ... so I am all set ...

do you think PCNA does this sort of thing specifically to **** RLer's off?
Larry Cable is offline  
Old 03-13-2013, 04:50 PM
  #9  
Mike in CA
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Mike in CA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: North Bay Area, CA
Posts: 11,865
Default

Originally Posted by Larry Cable View Post
do you think PCNA does this sort of thing specifically to **** RLer's off?
Likely. Don't know if you saw in another thread but jon70 has contacted PCNA and been given a case number about this issue. Supposed to hear something this week; no doubt along the lines of GFY......
Mike in CA is offline  
Old 03-13-2013, 07:27 PM
  #10  
Macca
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Macca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 14,140
Default

Arth. Nice spec.

IMHO Dump the PCM+Navi and instead order the P23/26 radio option (some standard with sound upgrade package 235w) or just opt for the standard radio package (25wx4).

You do not need PCM nor option 640 (sport chrono wart) to get the benefit of launch control or dynamic engine mounts. The Mounts are stock on all 991 GT3 and the launch control is no longer controlled via PCM/chrono.

There you go. You just saved yourself 2k!

PS. By way of making our USA brothers feel better - i cant understand all the hurrah about the sports seats offered in the GT3! These are heavy folding non adjustable seats that like the 993 hardback sport seats I have look lovely but offer no real benefits for 4000+ USD (they are not standard on ROW GT3s you have to tick a 3000 Euro options box!). I have rode in a 991 with these seats and apart form looking lovely they only offer marginally more lateral support and are compromised by their folding design. Quite frankly I dont think they were every designed for something like the GT3 as why would you bother with folding seats in a clubsport or standard spec car - no one can sit back there (no restraints etc).

I believe its a bit of storm in a tea cup about these seats. The real dissapointment is you cannot at this time order a proper pucker nomext one piece lightweight recaro bucket seat from factory and we already know why that is (legislation).

I believe taking the no cost sport plus factory seats makes the most sense and then junk them on track days for a pair of purchased separately 5 hole Recaros with side brackets and sliders for a saving of 2000 USD over these half assed sports seats that ook lovely but are noyt light at all (Id guess the sports seats offered ROW are weighing only 10-15kg each lighter than the factory standard seat as tehy still have full sliders, folding mechanism and airbag). A good racing shell will save you 25-30kg a shell and offer fat better lateral support for track work...

again all IMHO!
Macca is offline  
Old 03-13-2013, 08:00 PM
  #11  
mike2727
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
mike2727's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hollywood, FL
Posts: 316
Default

Originally Posted by Macca View Post
Arth. Nice spec.

IMHO Dump the PCM+Navi and instead order the P23/26 radio option (some standard with sound upgrade package 235w) or just opt for the standard radio package (25wx4).

You do not need PCM nor option 640 (sport chrono wart) to get the benefit of launch control or dynamic engine mounts. The Mounts are stock on all 991 GT3 and the launch control is no longer controlled via PCM/chrono.

There you go. You just saved yourself 2k!

PS. By way of making our USA brothers feel better - i cant understand all the hurrah about the sports seats offered in the GT3! These are heavy folding non adjustable seats that like the 993 hardback sport seats I have look lovely but offer no real benefits for 4000+ USD (they are not standard on ROW GT3s you have to tick a 3000 Euro options box!). I have rode in a 991 with these seats and apart form looking lovely they only offer marginally more lateral support and are compromised by their folding design. Quite frankly I dont think they were every designed for something like the GT3 as why would you bother with folding seats in a clubsport or standard spec car - no one can sit back there (no restraints etc).

I believe its a bit of storm in a tea cup about these seats. The real dissapointment is you cannot at this time order a proper pucker nomext one piece lightweight recaro bucket seat from factory and we already know why that is (legislation).

I believe taking the no cost sport plus factory seats makes the most sense and then junk them on track days for a pair of purchased separately 5 hole Recaros with side brackets and sliders for a saving of 2000 USD over these half assed sports seats that ook lovely but are noyt light at all (Id guess the sports seats offered ROW are weighing only 10-15kg each lighter than the factory standard seat as tehy still have full sliders, folding mechanism and airbag). A good racing shell will save you 25-30kg a shell and offer fat better lateral support for track work...

again all IMHO!
Hi Macca

So what you are saying is to change out the seats for and after every single track event ?, I guess not a big deal if you do less than 5 a year, but for those that do more than that a real pain in the b.tt

And no the buckets are not free in ROW, but they give you a rollbar, harness and fire ext for free if you buy them and you want them

Much better deal IMO than what we are given, we get a "free" (not really because if you choose to take it it wil cost you $ 700) NAVI, that I can really do without, my Garmin would work just fine and cost me $ 100

Just my 0.02
Mike
mike2727 is offline  
Old 03-13-2013, 08:07 PM
  #12  
Macca
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Macca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 14,140
Default

Mike. Over to you really. I fitted CF buckets into my 993 almost 3 years ago for an event, loved them and never took them out. IMHO if I fit some alacantera and leather Recaro PPs into the 991 GT3 I doubt they will be removed until time to sell!

Yes you are correct about the clubsport spec. However in our market we don't get anything for free (including Navi) and pay almost twice as much as the USA for the car! Im pretty sure our national average income is less than your too LOL!

I actually think those folding buckets are a red herring. Look nice but not enough actual benefit to get upset about. Just looking at it glass half full...
Macca is offline  
Old 03-13-2013, 08:35 PM
  #13  
mike2727
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
mike2727's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hollywood, FL
Posts: 316
Default

Originally Posted by Macca View Post
Mike. Over to you really. I fitted CF buckets into my 993 almost 3 years ago for an event, loved them and never took them out. IMHO if I fit some alacantera and leather Recaro PPs into the 991 GT3 I doubt they will be removed until time to sell!

Yes you are correct about the clubsport spec. However in our market we don't get anything for free (including Navi) and pay almost twice as much as the USA for the car! Im pretty sure our national average income is less than your too LOL!

I actually think those folding buckets are a red herring. Look nice but not enough actual benefit to get upset about. Just looking at it glass half full...
Hi Macca,

I have nothing against the Recaro PP, I actually have them in my BMW but here in the States, you cannot mess with the airbags, so if I would do that and leave them in and get into an accident (with or without a passenger) I would be in deep trouble with the insurance

As for the average income I cannot speak, being Dutch and living half my time in Aruba, but you are right that the prices for the car in the States are lower.

I am on the list for the 991 GT3, but until I get the answers to my questions I will hold off with the order, I am sure the rest of the car will be great I have no doubts about that

Just curious about "special" track maintenance schedules for PDK, CL, RWS etc, and the availability for some kind of OEM bucket seat that will be legal to use in the States

Mike
mike2727 is offline  
Old 03-13-2013, 08:49 PM
  #14  
Macca
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Macca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 14,140
Default

Hi Mike.

Im not aware of the US insurance position with a retrofitted bucket seat even if it is FIA compliant. If what your saying is indeed the case then I understand the frustration. Soon they will be telling us what material our underpants have to be made of before we can be insured in a motor vehicle accident. Things cant be more different from life in Aruba eh! Doubt they even police safety belts there!

I don't really understand why the seat must be compliant for the safety systems to work effectively in the 991. Im guessing you can buy a module to fool the system.

Anyway, good points about the maintenance schedule on CL, PDK etc. Ive asked my friend in Porsche Service to update me as soon as he recieved his dealer "tech pack" on the new engine and 991 GT3. They usually get training on the new engine (theory) a few months before they get delivered. Will post what I learn here of course...
Macca is offline  
Old 03-13-2013, 09:04 PM
  #15  
mike2727
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
mike2727's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hollywood, FL
Posts: 316
Default

Originally Posted by Macca View Post
Hi Mike.

Im not aware of the US insurance position with a retrofitted bucket seat even if it is FIA compliant. If what your saying is indeed the case then I understand the frustration. Soon they will be telling us what material our underpants have to be made of before we can be insured in a motor vehicle accident. Things cant be more different from life in Aruba eh! Doubt they even police safety belts there!

I don't really understand why the seat must be compliant for the safety systems to work effectively in the 991. Im guessing you can buy a module to fool the system.

Anyway, good points about the maintenance schedule on CL, PDK etc. Ive asked my friend in Porsche Service to update me as soon as he recieved his dealer "tech pack" on the new engine and 991 GT3. They usually get training on the new engine (theory) a few months before they get delivered. Will post what I learn here of course...
Hi Macca

Yes as far as rules /regulations and the enforcement thereof is concerned Aruba is a great place to be, would not recommend driving anything nicer than a beater though around here LOL

I am not that educated in the DOT rules and insurance issues either but I know some people in the know, and if you mess with the airbag/safety system you have an issue in case of an accident

Would be great if we could get the technical scoop on maintenance etc, would appreciate if you could provide that when it becomes available

Mike
mike2727 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Order GT3


Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: