Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What not to like about 991 GT3....

Old 03-12-2013, 11:10 AM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Porsche.collector

ah..you mean the cars n coffe crowd? They would never complain about anything..they just want the badge/brand..

Russians anc Chinese would also be happy..they like 8 Cylinders....I only see a win win for everybody...
Porsche proudly presents the 911 NASCAR ;-)

A flat 8 engine would be very interesting to see in the 911 but I doubt that will ever happen. Engine in the rear and flat 6 configuration are the trademarks. Maybe we will see it in another new model.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:38 AM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Originally Posted by Porsche.collector
ah..you mean the cars n coffe crowd? They would never complain about anything..they just want the badge/brand...
Don't really know what cars n coffee refers to. They are not the true diehard enthusiasts like the current whiners? Not the followers of the heel-and-toe sect who pray to Saint Mezger? Yes, death to the PDK infidels who have diluted the racing heritage and rely on RWS for the daily Starbucks drive.

It is the same religious mass psychosis as when the air cooled engines went water cooled ;-)
Old 03-12-2013, 11:41 AM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Does the GT3 come with the proper cup holders for my drive to Cars and Coffee? If not, I am glad the interior is a bit nicer, that way I can convince my GF to come along and hold my coffee while I downshift into the CnC lot. Gotta let everyone know I arrived...
Old 03-12-2013, 11:43 AM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I also do not like the fact that there is no option for a Beats by Dr Dre stereo for my boulevard cruises...
Old 03-12-2013, 12:08 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,720 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by StirlingMoss
Don't really know what cars n coffee refers to. They are not the true diehard enthusiasts like the current whiners? Not the followers of the heel-and-toe sect who pray to Saint Mezger? Yes, death to the PDK infidels who have diluted the racing heritage and rely on RWS for the daily Starbucks drive.

It is the same religious mass psychosis as when the air cooled engines went water cooled ;-)
I find it interesting how the PDK-sect here continues to bash the guys asking for a manual option, while the manual guys are simply asking for a choice....
Old 03-12-2013, 12:12 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Originally Posted by Nizer

I find it interesting how the PDK-sect here continues to bash the guys asking for a manual option, while the manual guys are simply asking for a choice....
Yes it is interesting too. I drive a manual though :-)
Old 03-12-2013, 12:42 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

They should have offered a manual option just for Europe like they did with the seats,then you would've seen outrage in the US...
Old 03-12-2013, 12:48 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,400 Likes on 748 Posts

Bingo.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:09 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Originally Posted by neanicu
They should have offered a manual option just for Europe like they did with the seats,then you would've seen outrage in the US...
Tzzz. Evil thought.

That is the outcome for the upcoming RS. Too dangerous for the US and to avoid lawsuits from broken heel-toe feet Porsche only offers the car in RoW :-)
Old 03-12-2013, 01:54 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
European Porsche enthusiasts, for the most part, have adapted to PDK without too much protest. I believe PDK is the transmission of choice by the overwhelming majority of 991 buyers in Europe today. The final bastion of the manual transmission is here in the United States! Perhaps we should call it 'The Last Redoubt' so that our German and Swiss friends with good knowledge of WWII history can relate & understand this sentiment better! A larger % of dedicated sportcar enthusiast choose & demand a manual transmission here than in any other world market, period.

European elites associate manuals with the basic transmission offered on most of their econo-boxes. They mentally link a manual to lesser circumstances & physical labor! When they think of automatics, they imagine an exciting F1 transmission on a 458 Italia! American elites associate automatic transmissions with their fathers' Oldsmobiles! The link an 'automatic', regardless how advanced, to the slovenly masses of suburbia and take pride in the skill of a well-executed shift with the beautiful choreography of heel & toe! When they think of manuals, they imagine the exciting short-shift transmission of a gt3 RS!

And this sentiment is not limited to Porsche enthusiasts in the US. BMW was forced to offer a manual on their recent M5/M6 in this market after their US customers and dealers lobby for it. That was a manual for the US market only! It was never offered in Europe because there was no real, quantifiable demand for it on the other side of the Atlantic!

Europe is now the post-Christian, post-Manual continent! American is...well, I don't really know. Look who we have elected as president twice now. Perhaps we will soon get to love PDK like our European cousins. I hope not.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 03-12-2013, 02:26 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Originally Posted by Z356
European Porsche enthusiasts, for the most part, have adapted to PDK without too much protest. I believe PDK is the transmission of choice by the overwhelming majority of 991 buyers in Europe today. The final bastion of the manual transmission is here in the United States! Perhaps we should call it 'The Last Redoubt' so that our German and Swiss friends with good knowledge of WWII history can relate & understand this sentiment better! A larger % of dedicated sportcar enthusiast choose & demand a manual transmission here than in any other world market, period.

European elites associate manuals with the basic transmission offered on most of their econo-boxes. They mentally link a manual to lesser circumstances & physical labor! When they think of automatics, they imagine an exciting F1 transmission on a 458 Italia! American elites associate automatic transmissions with their fathers' Oldsmobiles! The link an 'automatic', regardless how advanced, to the slovenly masses of suburbia and take pride in the skill of a well-executed shift with the beautiful choreography of heel & toe! When they think of manuals, they imagine the exciting short-shift transmission of a gt3 RS!

And this sentiment is not limited to Porsche enthusiasts in the US. BMW was forced to offer a manual on their recent M5/M6 in this market after their US customers and dealers lobby for it. That was a manual for the US market only! It was never offered in Europe because there was no real, quantifiable demand for it on the other side of the Atlantic!

Europe is now the post-Christian, post-Manual continent! American is...well, I don't really know. Look who we have elected as president twice now. Perhaps we will soon get to love PDK like our European cousins. I hope not.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Very well analysed and expressed I think you hit the nail on the head.

...but there are PLENTY of excellent manual cars out there to perfect your skills and offer the ultimate involvement. I am still of the belief that this car is not and will never be a latest generation GT3. For this you get something from the air-cooled era. No gizmos, no DFI, no adaptive suspension, no nothing but put pure Porsche passion and experience
Old 03-12-2013, 02:31 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356

Saludos,
Eduardo
I'm with you Eduardo!
That was just an evil comment from me...a joke really.
Being in the US,I want a manual,that is probably my only complaint about the new GT3.
The sport bucket seats look nice and I would love to have them one day in my Porsche,but since I'm not a diehard track guy,they're not that important.
I don't go to Cars and Coffee nor drink latte for that matter...
Old 03-12-2013, 03:05 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Even though I drive a PDK please don't lump me in the manual bash group.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:27 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the gear indicator on the tach needs to be bigger, way bigger. And get rid of the " P-R-N-D". Its just clutter.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:38 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,720 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Even though I drive a PDK please don't lump me in the manual bash group.
Never. I have no issues with PDK being offered or those that prefer it over a manual.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What not to like about 991 GT3....