Originally Posted by savyboy
With the new GT3 Porsche wanted to meet the latest from Ferrari:

Epic find Savy!
Old 03-11-2013, 07:47 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche.collector
Of course it will sell...you will buy one.

Disaster, in a sense that it is a radical departure..this is a 100% turnaround. In the normal 991 you can at least still choose..and dont forget that in a boxster or cayman you still have the 19th century option of a 6 speed..

For sure it will sell..but if it becomes the best selling GT3 ever..second hand prices will tumble like ..if it doesnt sell well, you will drive something very exclusive.

Ill leave it up to you to choose your option....

PS: Yes, the engineers have maybe not been sleeping..but their strategy is completely.. have you ever thought about the case if the 991 RSR will not be able to hold up? (no matter which 6 Cylinder it has). Porsche will certainly not run behind for another 3 years..they cant do that. Either the 991 RSR changes a few things (that being said - the 997 RSR is still better than many people claim)..or that will be it.
Kinda like going from the typewriter to the PC with word processor. I miss the click clack of my old one. They were very involving.. How's Smith Corona stock doing these days .
Old 03-11-2013, 08:01 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
if you can knit a martini pullover while going flatout through eau rouge, then we have a sales success!
Haha! You kill me!
Old 03-11-2013, 09:39 PM
Al Pettee
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by StirlingMoss
Surely they have. In the end it all comes down to ROI. Loosing a few manual diehards while gaining more PDK customers from other brands and keeping the investment to a minimum.

Personally I don't get the whole manual discussion. If one wants a manual, then get a 964 RS or 993 RS. The 997 RS is already far too refined with PSM, TC, etc.
Indeed, that's why I own this-and won't ever sell it.
Attached Images  
Old 03-11-2013, 09:44 PM
Al Pettee
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Fully agree..but how can one defend Porsche in such a case..they introduced in 2008 DFI..5 years ago. 458 etc are racing since years DFI ..what are all these engineers doing at Porsche? You cant tell me that they found out this after the 4.0L. The new GT3 engine has probably been developpped since 2-3 years..but it wasnt enough. They were literally sleeping..I hope the 991 RSR can turn around things..if not, they just have to blame themselves.
If only PAG had spent the last few years developing the new flat-8 good for well north of 550 NA horsepower for the 991 GT3-with a proper Getrag manual with perhaps properly spaced gears even up to 7 or 8, instead of resorting to gimmicky automated manual trannies and electronically overwrought drivetrains ala Nissan and Ferrari, then they would have produced a true enthusiasts' GT3....
Old 03-12-2013, 12:50 AM
inverterman
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Epic find Savy!
Perfect! LOL!
Old 03-12-2013, 02:04 AM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Al Pettee
Indeed, that's why I own this-and won't ever sell it.
Great looking 993!
Old 03-12-2013, 02:26 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 198 Likes on 116 Posts

If only PAG had spent the last few years developing the new flat-8 good for well north of 550 NA horsepower for the 991 GT3-with a proper Getrag manual with perhaps properly spaced gears even up to 7 or 8, instead of resorting to gimmicky automated manual trannies and electronically overwrought drivetrains ala Nissan and Ferrari, then they would have produced a true enthusiasts' GT3....
Would be nice to see them leading instead of following...
Old 03-12-2013, 02:50 AM
StirlingMoss
Racer

If only PAG had spent the last few years developing the new flat-8...
A flat-8? Imagine the whining
Old 03-12-2013, 02:56 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Remember, the vast majority of 997 gt3rs cars never see the track...rather the cars n coffee. As was mentioned earlier, porsche knows thier demo very well, hence the pdk.
I have the first spot (emailed me friday) with my dealer, I don't think I'll even spec one after a lot of soul searching. I had a 2007 tt, then traded it on a 2011tts, pdk and all. 7 months later I'd had enough. A few air cooled cars in between and I'm back in a 2007 tt mt. I came to the conclusion the 991 gt3 would basically be the tts all over again.....$$ No thanks
Old 03-12-2013, 07:54 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
Would be nice to see them leading instead of following...
Exactly..

@Stirling Moss: no whining about that if that engine would destroy all 458s in Le Mans..and would be put 1:1 in a Gt3...with manual, no rear steering etc.

Porsche would still have some GT3 uniqueness..this uniqueness is at least gone on paper now. We havent driven the car..but it certainly - on paper - has lost some of its heritage. Its now a competitor to the Nissan GTR.-..I even would prefer now a 458..if only it had better looks..and lees gizmos also..leaves onyl the Aventador..
Old 03-12-2013, 07:56 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Thats exactly what I meant..thanks..
Old 03-12-2013, 08:11 AM
wurlie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exactly..

@Stirling Moss: no whining about that if that engine would destroy all 458s in Le Mans..and would be put 1:1 in a Gt3...with manual, no rear steering etc.

Porsche would still have some GT3 uniqueness..this uniqueness is at least gone on paper now. We havent driven the car..but it certainly - on paper - has lost some of its heritage. Its now a competitor to the Nissan GTR.-..I even would prefer now a 458..if only it had better looks..and lees gizmos also..leaves onyl the Aventador..
Thats exactly what I meant..thanks..
...which they then would not be able to sell to the C'n'C crowd, therefore selling a relatively smaller number of cars.

Best, w
Old 03-12-2013, 08:54 AM
StirlingMoss
Racer

There would be just as much whining, just not from the current crowd, but from others that are now quiet.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:58 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by StirlingMoss
There would be just as much whining, just not from the current crowd, but from others that are now quiet.
ah..you mean the cars n coffe crowd? They would never complain about anything..they just want the badge/brand..

Russians anc Chinese would also be happy..they like 8 Cylinders....I only see a win win for everybody...

Quick Reply: What not to like about 991 GT3....