Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 11:17 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,722 Likes on 913 Posts

Direct question: "Will this new motor be used in racing?"

Answer: "I guess so."

Really? You don't know?

What we know for a fact is that it's not used in the new Cup car as were all previous gen GT3 motors. No hyperbole there - just facts.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:26 AM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Do you seriously think Preuninger answered "I guess so" because he does not know?
Old 03-11-2013, 11:28 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Direct question: "Will this new motor be used in racing?"

Answer: "I guess so."

Really? You don't know?

What we know for a fact is that it's not used in the new Cup car as were all previous gen GT3 motors. No hyperbole there - just facts.
I don't find to be out of the ordinary the fact he said '' I guess so... '' Maybe he's trying to keep secrecy,maybe it's a marketing move to improve sales,maybe they're still testing it...we don't know...it could be anything.
It remains to be seen...
I guess if it ends up in a CUP car it proves my point,if not,it proves yours...
Old 03-11-2013, 11:35 AM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
Agree, should have been an option. As much as I understand the reasoning, Germans either still do not understand their biggest market (the US) or they don't care. No question the decision not to offer a good, manual, zero cost 6 speed option lost them credibility in the US, even if it would have cost them a little money. Hubris- 90% of the time the engineers do know best, 10% of the time they miss. Here they missed- at least one model of transition to the new PDK was needed, and Porsche should have upped the development budget to offer it.
I wouldn't be so sure that don't understand their market. Yes, the GT3 is aimed at enthusiasts who the majority of prefer a manual. But I have a feeling Porsche knows what is likely to move more cars. I'd wager that the vast majority of GT3's sold (and I don't just mean 991's) do not ever see the track. Nothing wrong with that, though it does seem like a shame. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of potential buyers are more interested in PDK anyway. I wonder what the percentage of PDK vs manuals sold in 911's is?

My point is that while there is a huge stink on the forums about the lack of a manual option, that does mean that the Porsche buyers market as a whole is disappointed. I wouldn't make the assumption that the forums are representative of the market on whole. That is typically not always the case. The forums are representative of the enthusiast market... all of us are Porsche enthusiasts. But I'd be surprised if even 25% of Porsche owners or potential owners (not going to even count Cayennes in my number) visit Porsche web forums like this one.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:46 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
I don't find to be out of the ordinary the fact he said '' I guess so... '' Maybe he's trying to keep secrecy,maybe it's a marketing move to improve sales,maybe they're still testing it...we don't know...it could be anything.
It remains to be seen...
I agree with Nizer..the real issue also, why the 991 RSR is not using the new engine.

Yiou wanna know my guess, I already mentioned it here - the new 991 GT3 engine will not be used in racing. Porsche will continue with it for another 2 years and then put in directly the new 8 Cylinder Boxer.

Fact is however also, if the new engine will be in CUP 2014 and 991 RSR 2014..GT3 customes will become beta testers..I dont want to be one of them..
Old 03-11-2013, 11:50 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by StirlingMoss
Do you seriously think Preuninger answered "I guess so" because he does not know?
He knows for sure..but he wont tell us now. Maybe because there also maybe other options - Plan B and Plan C..and telling that now to potential buyers..wouldnt make them happy..

I think they have at least one to two other options ..
Old 03-11-2013, 11:55 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Porsche.collector
He knows for sure..but he wont tell us now. Maybe because there also maybe other options - Plan B and Plan C..and telling that now to potential buyers..wouldnt make them happy..

No matter how many options they have,it's not going to be Mezger anymore in the future,that's for sure!
Old 03-11-2013, 11:59 AM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Exactly, that is my guess too.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:00 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It remains to be seen...
what is the downside is answering definitively with "yes" instead of a half hearted "I guess so"?
Old 03-11-2013, 12:02 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

No matter how many options they have,it's not going to be Mezger anymore in the future,that's for sure!
Yes, that is for sure. Time for a new and even better engine. Although some posters seem to have a real issue accepting that. Mezgerism at its best.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:02 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Long term = No
Short term = Its a possibilty..besides rules dont allow you so easily to change engines just like this (except for their own Series - supercup etc)..
Old 03-11-2013, 12:05 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Originally Posted by sfo

what is the downside is answering definitively with "yes" instead of a half hearted "I guess so"?
I can think of many legitimate reasons and I am sure you can too, if you really want to.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:12 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sfo
I don't know...really...can only speculate...
I found something really interesting he said... He said they went back and forth with the transmission choice until the middle of last year. If I remember correctly,he also said the Porsche GT department is a small one with only a few people...
This basically tells me the guy's a tool...he can't take any major decisions without the Board's approval. Same went with the transmission choice,which I suspect he initially disagreed...
Same will go with the new engine in a Cup car...
STILL,all this,DOES NOT mean the new engine won't go in the Cup IMO...
Old 03-11-2013, 12:15 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Long term = No
Short term = Its a possibilty..besides rules dont allow you so easily to change engines just like this (except for their own Series - supercup etc)..
There you go! So by your own statement,they could not have used the new engine in this year's season!
Old 03-11-2013, 12:22 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by zirrah
I wouldn't be so sure that don't understand their market. Yes, the GT3 is aimed at enthusiasts who the majority of prefer a manual. But I have a feeling Porsche knows what is likely to move more cars. I'd wager that the vast majority of GT3's sold (and I don't just mean 991's) do not ever see the track. Nothing wrong with that, though it does seem like a shame. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of potential buyers are more interested in PDK anyway. I wonder what the percentage of PDK vs manuals sold in 911's is?

My point is that while there is a huge stink on the forums about the lack of a manual option, that does mean that the Porsche buyers market as a whole is disappointed. I wouldn't make the assumption that the forums are representative of the market on whole. That is typically not always the case. The forums are representative of the enthusiast market... all of us are Porsche enthusiasts. But I'd be surprised if even 25% of Porsche owners or potential owners (not going to even count Cayennes in my number) visit Porsche web forums like this one.
hmm...you know that 100% of GT3s so far were manual? So I suppose that those thousands of customers since 1999..were more or less happy with it. this doesnt mean that some wanted a PdK..but suddenly abolshing manual ones...is from a business opportunity a desaster..

It would be comparable if Apple would tell you from tomorrow on, they would stop production of i-phones- and as a replacement you are now forced to buy a pink tablet. Would you be happy? No company would do somethimg like this...except Porsche in this case..

Last edited by P_collector; 03-11-2013 at 12:44 PM.

Quick Reply: What not to like about 991 GT3....