Sponsored by:

Geneva Juxtaposition

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 12:37 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Geneva Juxtaposition

The backgrounds and the people in them speak to me. What do they say to you and how do they make you feel?

Attribution for C7 pics to Corvette7 forum.
Attached Images      
Old 03-09-2013, 12:55 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

Let's see:

- Manual Transmission - check
- Track oriented seat - check
- Only steering is from the front wheels - check
- Weight savings- not so much
- Anticipation for high performance track oriented model- check
- Neverbeentherering mega numbers - almost guaranteed
- Possible next car (Z06) - we'll see...

And yes, the stiff Euro's in the Porsche picture are not the same enthusiasts drinking beer on the patio with Vette. Maybe if the move the GT3 outside we might have the same group of folks...

Last edited by montoya; 03-09-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:29 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

A tractor would look more at home in the Vette pictures. Largest motor show in the world vs a barn. The Vette is an awesome car though. Does not make me tick like the new GT3 does, but then again what do I know. I am just a stiff Euro.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:33 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Well...Savy very interesting...honestly I relate to the people with the Corvette more than the suit and ties way in the background of the GT3...hummm
Old 03-09-2013, 01:40 PM
savyboy
Drifting

3:38
6:27
12:48

All very interesting. The whole vid is well worth watching. I've no dog in the fight, I'm just a prospective customer of a manufacturer that is honest with me on how their car might suit my needs.

It is a great time to be alive and a car/tracking enthusiast.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:43 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Originally Posted by mdrums
Well...Savy very interesting...honestly I relate to the people with the Corvette more than the suit and ties way in the background of the GT3...hummm
I guess most of us does, since the pictures compares apples to oranges. The GT3 pictures are from the official presentation. I somehow doubt the same applies for the Vette pictures. No suits at Geneva when I was there last Thursday. Just awesome Porsche cars... and even more awesome Porsche grrls showing us around
Old 03-09-2013, 01:43 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by StirlingMoss
Largest motor show in the world vs a barn. The Vette is an awesome car though.
The 'Vette's were on their way to the "largest motor show in the world" and they decided to let some of the good and decent hard-working Swiss people experience the C7. They then loaded the cars up enroute to their display in the show.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:51 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Originally Posted by savyboy
The 'Vette's were on their way to the "largest motor show in the world" and they decided to let some of the good and decent hard-working Swiss people experience the C7. They then loaded the cars up enroute to their display in the show.
So the jobless americans also could experience the C7. Aaawww... that is so sweet
Old 03-09-2013, 02:01 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
The backgrounds and the people in them speak to me. What do they say to you and how do they make you feel?
You've got pictures posed with happy people in front of a C7 and an official presentation of the GT3 to the motoring press 2 days before the Geneva show opened. Two completely different venues, for two completely different purposes. What if someone had driven the new Corvette to a funeral, and they snapped a photo there? Would the crowd reaction have told you something meaningful about the car? And where's the happy thumbs-up crowd in the pic below? Do you think if the shot in Detroit had been from behind the Corvette suit guy that it would have looked a lot different from Geneva?

I know you're trying to make a point, but really......
Attached Images  
Old 03-09-2013, 02:04 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
You've got pictures posed with happy people and an official presentation of the GT3 to the motoring press 2 days before the Geneva show opened. Two completely different venues, for two completely different purposes. What if someone had driven the new Corvette to a funeral, and they snapped a photo there? Would the crowd reaction have told you something meaningful about the car? And where's the happy thumbs-up crowd in the pic below? Do you think if the shot had been from behind the Corvette suit guy that it would have looked a lot different from Geneva?
Touché!

(Although I still fail to see the point with the original post and comparison)
Old 03-09-2013, 02:37 PM
Al Pettee
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

This just shows you how disconnected diehard Porschephiles feel from PAG these days when they manifest twinges of affection for the Corvette and its supporters-and these are not "trolls" as has been suggested, but rather veteran rennlist members with years of affiliation and thousands of posts....
Old 03-09-2013, 03:03 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Originally Posted by Al Pettee
This just shows you how disconnected diehard Porschephiles feel from PAG these days...
If I may, it shows you how a group of diehard Porschephiles feel, but this is too small a sample to represent the entire population of diehard Porschephiles. It might well be the exact opposite.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:06 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Al Pettee
This just shows you how disconnected diehard Porschephiles feel from PAG these days when they manifest twinges of affection for the Corvette and its supporters-and these are not "trolls" as has been suggested, but rather veteran rennlist members with years of affiliation and thousands of posts....
Succinct statement.

Some of us have deeply learned lessons from the damage caused over the years by The Great Porsche Marketing Machine. I embrace examining the disconnects between the car, The Machine, the competition, and reality. It's healthy.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:07 PM
Special When Lit
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was really disappointed to see how the new GT3 was shown at the show : It's basically at the very end of the booth on a super tiny stand, so the crowd cannot even go around the car. And since last year the Porsche booth moved away from its traditional sport to be tucked with Audi/Bentley/Lamborghini and the other VAG brands.

As usual all the other 911/Boxster/Caymans/Panameras are monochrome silver grey, soooo boring when you see even Audi manages to show their S and RS models in red. The Cup was awesome, and they don't show it really often so it was really cool to check it out. I didn't see the 918 either, but maybe is was backstage.

McLaren easily had the best booth, super wide compared to the number of cars the were showing. Seeing the F1 XPLM was incredible, and the P1 runs on 5 lugs wheels

Probably the best looking 911 was on the RUF booth

Old 03-09-2013, 03:22 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Originally Posted by Special When Lit
Probably the best looking 911 was on the RUF booth
I second that. Good to see Mr Ruf himself present too.

The McLaren stand was definitely one of the most impressive. I had the opportunity so enter the stand too and take a very close look at the P1. Amazing machine.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Geneva Juxtaposition