Geneva Juxtaposition

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 03:38 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
Succinct statement.

Some of us have deeply learned lessons from the damage caused over the years by The Great Porsche Marketing Machine. I embrace examining the disconnects between the car, The Machine, the competition, and reality. It's healthy.
I understand that you feel frustration, you are obviously entitled to your opinion, and are free to express it. But IMO, and with due respect, some of the ways that people are finding to do that don't make sense to me. Factual argument is healthy and a basis for mutual understanding, false argument not so much.

Sorry to preach. You posted nice pics, but again IMO, they just didn't further your point.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:58 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,401 Likes on 748 Posts

3:38
6:27
12:48

All very interesting. The whole vid is well worth watching. I've no dog in the fight, I'm just a prospective customer of a manufacturer that is honest with me on how their car might suit my needs.

It is a great time to be alive and a car/tracking enthusiast.
Wow.

Manual transmission & no rear wheel steering? How is that possible? Clearly this man and his people are not as smart as Porsche engineers
Old 03-09-2013, 04:14 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
Let's see:

- Manual Transmission - check
- Track oriented seat - check
- Only steering is from the front wheels - check
- Weight savings- not so much
- Anticipation for high performance track oriented model- check
- Neverbeentherering mega numbers - almost guaranteed
- Possible next car (Z06) - we'll see...

And yes, the stiff Euro's in the Porsche picture are not the same enthusiasts drinking beer on the patio with Vette. Maybe if the move the GT3 outside we might have the same group of folks...
Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Wow

Manual transmission & no rear wheel steering? How is that possible? Clearly this man and his people are not as smart as Porsche engineers
Edited...
Old 03-09-2013, 04:23 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I understand that you feel frustration, you are obviously entitled to your opinion, and are free to express it. But IMO, and with due respect, some of the ways that people are finding to do that don't make sense to me. Factual argument is healthy and a basis for mutual understanding, false argument not so much.

Sorry to preach. You posted nice pics, but again IMO, they just didn't further your point.
The choice of pictures was driven by a personal gut reaction, that expressed graphically my emotions towards the current situation. I wouldn't say I had a point per se other than to provoke some other emotional thought. I've tended towards being one of the more factual and analytical participants on here over the years. Just trying to connect on a more Nietzschesque level for a change of pace

Here's some interesting facts:

Tad Juechter in C&D interview:

C&D- "We've long complained about Corvette's seats. Please, please tell us you've fixed them."

TJ- "Many of our customers are happy with today’s seats, but there’s a core out there that drives their cars aggressively, including visits to the track, and they’ve been unsatisfied with the level of lateral support. So we put a lot of science into our seats. For the first time, we elected to spend the money and engineering resources on two distinct seats. One, the GT seat or touring-type seat, has improved lateral support over today’s seat but is engineered for long-range comfort. Then there’s a true competition seat. We use a magnesium support frame shaped for lateral support that is firmer than the composite frame we have today. And we’ve got seatbelt cutouts in both seats, so you can put through four-inch-wide, five-point harnesses. We benchmarked Porsche seats that also are produced by Lear, our supplier, and Recaro seats purchased for other GM programs, and we did some scientific evaluation. We scanned those seats and measured the pressure and support on the track. We think you’ll be pleased with both. We’ll advise customers to try the competition seat before ordering it; it’s not going to be comfortable for larger people."

And another-

"There's rev-matching on both up- and downshifts in the seven-speed manual transmission?"

Juechter:

We looked at what others had done, and we’ve added rev-matching on upshifts. We invented and patented this sensor that, when you move the shifter, actually anticipates what you’re going to do. You can move the shifter toward a gate and see on the tach the revs that the system is going to give you, and you can hear it. You can almost play it like a musical instrument. It can also be shut off because sometimes you find that you just want it to act like a traditional shifter.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:26 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

The choice of pictures was driven by a personal gut reaction, that expressed graphically my emotions towards the current situation. I wouldn't say I had a point per se other than to provoke some other emotional thought. I've tended towards being one of the more factual and analytical participants on here over the years. Just trying to connect on a more Nietzschesque level for a change of pace

Here's some interesting facts:

Tad Juechter in C&D interview:

C&D- "We've long complained about Corvette's seats. Please, please tell us you've fixed them."

TJ- "Many of our customers are happy with today’s seats, but there’s a core out there that drives their cars aggressively, including visits to the track, and they’ve been unsatisfied with the level of lateral support. So we put a lot of science into our seats. For the first time, we elected to spend the money and engineering resources on two distinct seats. One, the GT seat or touring-type seat, has improved lateral support over today’s seat but is engineered for long-range comfort. Then there’s a true competition seat. We use a magnesium support frame shaped for lateral support that is firmer than the composite frame we have today. And we’ve got seatbelt cutouts in both seats, so you can put through four-inch-wide, five-point harnesses. We benchmarked Porsche seats that also are produced by Lear, our supplier, and Recaro seats purchased for other GM programs, and we did some scientific evaluation. We scanned those seats and measured the pressure and support on the track. We think you’ll be pleased with both. We’ll advise customers to try the competition seat before ordering it; it’s not going to be comfortable for larger people."

And another-

"There's rev-matching on both up- and downshifts in the seven-speed manual transmission?"

Juechter:

We looked at what others had done, and we’ve added rev-matching on upshifts. We invented and patented this sensor that, when you move the shifter, actually anticipates what you’re going to do. You can move the shifter toward a gate and see on the tach the revs that the system is going to give you, and you can hear it. You can almost play it like a musical instrument. It can also be shut off because sometimes you find that you just want it to act like a traditional shifter.
This is the first time I've ever seen a reference to Nietzsche on this forum.

I'd read the Juechter interview before and was impressed. I'm also impressed by the Corvette. Some may disagree, but I got the same feeling watching the Preuninger interview with EVO about the GT3, that I got reading the Juechter one. They both come across as car guys who are passionate about the work they've put in on their projects.

There are obviously differences in the way Corvette and Porsche approach similar goals, and always have been. The seat issue isn't one of them; that's clearly a bureaucratic decision on the part of PCNA, and a bad one at that. The PDK/MT debate has been thoroughly hashed. One factor that should be considered is that GM doesn't have a dual clutch automatic. Corvette's manual still provides the best performance. Porsche, OTOH, has a superior dual clutch transmission that is faster than their manual one. I know it upsets people to say this, but on certain levels I can appreciate the engineering and design discussions that must have gone on when deciding whether or not to offer a transmission with inferior performance just to please a shrinking market segment.

It's obvious people are upset by all this right now, and I understand where they are coming from. I still think when they get more information and first hand experience, either through driving the GT3 or seeing reviews from trusted sources, minds will be changed. For those that aren't, there are cars like the C7.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 03-09-2013 at 06:11 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-09-2013, 05:33 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

It's interesting to note, if you go to the Corvette forums there's almost an equal amount of loathing for 'their' new car, but about looks more than specs, the opposite of 'ours'. Yes, I've started reading 'vette boards, and I feel dirty.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:37 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

the only part of the Vette I dislike from photos is the taillight section
Old 03-09-2013, 06:48 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Corvette was revealed to an invitation only $1250/seat event for charity, raising $750K for education.
I think photos at that soiree should be included in the comparison.

So should include pics of me and a few of my "full figured" track junkie cohorts, in the paddock, sweating bullets, double-torquing centerlocks. : )

ps. The photo of that red Vette rivals the Ferrari F12. There, I said it.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:58 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
the only part of the Vette I dislike from photos is the taillight section
Agree, taillights look like refugees from a GM sedan...like this 2013 Malibu. Gurney/spoiler is too big, clumsy. 4 centered exhausts very tuner-ee (read cheesy) Okay, back to Porsche bashing.
Attached Images  
Old 03-09-2013, 07:02 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
This is the first time I've ever seen a reference to Nietzsche on this forum.

I'd read the Juechter interview before and was impressed. I'm also impressed by the Corvette. Some may disagree, but I got the same feeling watching the Preuninger interview with EVO about the GT3, that I got reading the Juechter one. They both come across as car guys who are passionate about the work they've put in on their projects.

It's obvious people are upset by all this right now, and I understand where they are coming from. I still think when they get more information and first hand experience, either through driving the GT3 or seeing reviews from trusted sources, minds will be changed. For those that aren't, there are cars like the C7.
Always happy to have a little fun with the day, glad you enjoyed!

I hope the person who emailed me will share his comments publicly

Let me be crystal clear in my current view of the situation, the new GT3 will be an awesome Grand Touring street car. And, The Great Porsche Marketing machine has grown to be despicable in the disconnect it is paid to create between the marketing verbiage/videos and reality. It's taken metaphorical (GT3 = track car) license to a length that should be...prosecuted as fraud.

If there is one thing I am more convinced of than ever it is that Porsche the business is more interested in profit over anything else than it has ever been in its corporate life. It is a business, it is amoral, and it is what it is, but I don't have to support it and I won't anymore.

The facts can be easily distilled to support the case of avid trackers looking for any number of other well qualified alternatives. My friend Adam did his best to clear my thinking a couple years ago (GT2RS purchase) but the Kool-aid was still strong and potent at that time. I've since come to my senses (debatable).

Originally Posted by consolidated
It's interesting to note, if you go to the Corvette forums there's almost an equal amount of loathing for 'their' new car, but about looks more than specs, the opposite of 'ours'. Yes, I've started reading 'vette boards, and I feel dirty.
The great, unwashed, self-loathing ('Vette aware) masses are being beaten on both sides of their heads with an engineering and design tour de force two-by-four and are having great difficulty coming to terms with the (apparent) jewel they've been handed. Their moaning and crying about the car possibly coming in over $60k are mind-bending coming from the perspective of my (quickly evolving) world.

Don't feel dirty, feel empowered and enlightened.

Last edited by savyboy; 03-09-2013 at 07:25 PM. Reason: *have* I come to my senses? :-)
Old 03-09-2013, 07:04 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

2013 Malibu.
A great and fun track car, considering
Old 03-09-2013, 07:08 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

It remains to be seen how it feels in your hands, but he sure makes it sound good in the video.

Rev matching that you can turn off, race track setting, 450lbs torque, 24hour track testing, a real dry sump, real CF hood and roof, seats that hold you in with harness holes, real weight savings....

Not selling the 4.0 for a vette anytime soon, I hate the Targa top and I'm assuming it will fall to pieces just driving it off the lot (never mind Sebring) and be a POS like any other Chevy I ever owned or drove, and the dealer experience probably will be dreadful but can you image if its fun to drive, I fit in it and it does not break much for a couple of years? Or even say 50 track days?

Would make for a nice beater.

I only don’t get the narrow rear tires 285 when before they had the same as the RS 335/30/18
Looks sexy too, its growing on me, except for the ***, but oh well....
Old 03-09-2013, 07:11 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Corvette was revealed to an invitation only $1250/seat event for charity, raising $750K for education.
I think photos at that soiree should be included in the comparison.

So should include pics of me and a few of my "full figured" track junkie cohorts, in the paddock, sweating bullets, double-torquing centerlocks. : )
Post away...
Old 03-09-2013, 08:06 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Juechter:

Amen
Old 03-09-2013, 09:46 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Nothing wrong with reading or joining the Vette boards, the members are generally a great group, genuine, and Very loyal to the brand. Which ofcourse means interesting banter on and off the track.

The only loathing I've heard wrt the C7 is in reference to the rear, some say it's Camaroish. Having had a closeup view today, I can say the exterior styling is pretty darn good. Unfortunately no access to the interior. Rumor has it the upcoming Z06 will have 600 normally aspirated HP, and that would be a lot!
Since they have addressed the shortcomings of the outgoing Z06, it may be
a candidate for future consideration....
Fortunately a chip upgrade and intercoolers should be sufficient to deal with the future iterations.

Link to a few pics taken today with Canon G1X, click on slideshow to view in full screen.

http://www.motorsportphotography.ca/p967264204

Quick Reply: Geneva Juxtaposition