Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAJOR FAIL! No Sport Bucket Set Option (6 point harness seats) WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 02:33 PM
mike2727
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
New Z06 should be on your short list but involves more waiting. Totally analog, no rear steering, no torque vectoring, manual Trans, 5 lug etc etc....
It already is on my short list, with the seat issue unconfirmed, the C7 Z06 might be there before Porsche wakes up and starts certifying after the fact
Audi has plans to come with a lightweight (2200lbs) TT with the TTRS engine in it, they are talking about integrated rollbar, I am sure it will have buckets that can handle 6-point harness as well
360 hp/343 tq in stock trim, which can easily be upped to over 400hp with small changes, would have a better power to weight ratio than the GT3, and should be lower priced than the GT3 as well

Well for me it will proberbly be first come first serve

Mike
Old 03-17-2013, 03:33 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Audi sport bucket seats!

Originally Posted by mike2727
Audi has plans to come with a lightweight (2200lbs) TT with the TTRS engine in it, they are talking about integrated rollbar, I am sure it will have buckets that can handle 6-point harness as well
Hope...but don't count on it for US market. As of this date, Audi has yet to developed, certified and offered a proper airbag-equipped 'Sport Bucket Seat' for EITHER the US or any other market, including Europe! Up to MY2013, Audi offered two types of sport buckets on their R8's and certain TTRS's for Europe/ROW. Recaro made for them a leather covered adaptive 'sport bucket seat' (see photo #1). For the R8 GT, Audi offered a non-adaptive light weight racing-type Sport Bucket seat! (see photo #2). Both of these Audi 'sport bucket seats', since they didn't have integrated airbags, were never imported by Audi in their US spec R8 or TTRS models!

The first time I heard anyone say that non-airbag equipped 'sport bucket seats' would be no longer be offered in MY2014 by an auto manufacturer in Europe came from Andreas Preuninger at his Evo video interview just weeks ago! According to him, the reason is because of new EU regulations. That is why Porsche will not be able to offer their carbon fiber non-folding, non-airbag 'sport buckets', which in various forms has graced their European/ROW gt3 & RS cars for years! These same EU regulations will prevent Audi from offering their previous sport bucket options on their Europe/ROW models too!

That is good news for US Audi owners. Porsche, to their credit, started offering an airbag equipped 'sport bucket seat' in the US since 2007. It was introduced in the MY2008 gt2 and was continued to be offered in the .2 gt3's, gt3 RS's, gt2 RS's, GTS, Spyders and Cayman R's. So it has been historically very responsive (don't know if they are going the other way now). In contrast, Audi has not bothered to offer an airbag sport bucket for any market! NONE. So Audi will be forced now to design & develop a new airbag-equipped 'sport bucket seat' for their most 'sporting' post-MY2014 models in Europe/ROW. And that 'new' sport bucket seat might make an appearance in the US in the R8, TTRS and perhaps other Audi RS's coupes/sedans in MY2015. At least that would be my hope!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images   
Old 03-17-2013, 04:34 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mdrums
So if there are these "crazy US regulations" I still say Porsche dropped the ball, screwed up, doesn't care about it's most sport orientated customer when Porsche didn't do it's homework and get the proper Sport Bucket seats approved for sale int he USA. Corvette did!
Fully agree..but you are all forgetting another thing, I already said that the bucked seats in Europe are available for GT3 991 (good)..however, they are not FIA homologated. So, EU 991 GT3 customers will have the bucket seats..but cannot use them in any event which is organised/supervised by the FIA.

So, EU GT3 991 have the seats..but cant really use them for what they were made for. Wanna know my gues, 991 GT3 will never have bucket seats - except for RS- why? If Porsche wanted it, they would have made it possible..its just another reason for keeping the car "off track"..
Old 03-17-2013, 04:59 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Conspiracy theories overdose. Maybe Michael Moore could make a movie about the bucket seats.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:05 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I have my doubts about the ventilated competition seats in the new Corvette C7, but they are available and they are trying hard over at Chevy...
Attached Images  
Old 03-17-2013, 08:36 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I have my doubts about the ventilated competition seats in the new Corvette C7, but they are available and they are trying hard over at Chevy...
The seat cushion bolsters on those C7 seats appear low, and there is little support in the hip area. They have the harness pass throughs, which is obviously very important, but the seats themselves don't look as supportive as the standard Porsche Sport Plus seats. They also appear to have 3 electric adjustments; makes me wonder how light they are. Has that info been published?
Attached Images  
Old 03-17-2013, 08:50 PM
mike2727
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
The seat cushion bolsters on those C7 seats appear low, and there is little support in the hip area. They have the harness pass throughs, which is obviously very important, but the seats themselves don't look as supportive as the standard Porsche Sport Plus seats. They also appear to have 3 electric adjustments; makes me wonder how light they are. Has that info been published?
I am sure they are not light, but at least they actually think about what their customers want

Mike
Old 03-17-2013, 08:58 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

That is the best comparative photo of the C7 seats I've seen to date. It looks to me that the standard seats are more bolstered, but lack the harness openings. The Porsche sport buckets look far superior.

In terms of the 918 seat, I am unsure if it has thorax airbags and it looks fixed as opposed to the sport buckets that have an articulation that can fold the seat forward.

I don't understand how some seats without thorax airbags are OK for the US market, ie Ferrari sport seats.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:04 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Other pics show more side bolstering in the bottom seat.
Well see, it also has no hole in the bottom, so that won't work either.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:08 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by mike2727
I am sure they are not light, but at least they actually think about what their customers want

Mike
Mike, I get your point but thinking is one thing, execution is another. As we keep being reminded, you can hang whatever name you want on something, but that doesn't make it so. Those C7 seats look really flat bottomed, for so-called "competition seats".
Old 03-17-2013, 09:35 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Other pics show more side bolstering in the bottom seat.
Well see, it also has no hole in the bottom, so that won't work either.
Interesting. I couldn't tell from the pics if there was a pass though for the sub belt(s). I just assumed there must be one since everyone was talking up the seats.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:41 PM
rubber_ducky
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 75 Posts

It looks to me as though both corvette seats share the same seat bottoms.

Seems to me that GM should engineer a new bottom section for the "competition" seats.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:15 PM
mike2727
Rennlist Member

Mike, I get your point but thinking is one thing, execution is another. As we keep being reminded, you can hang whatever name you want on something, but that doesn't make it so. Those C7 seats look really flat bottomed, for so-called "competition seats".
I agree on the Vette seat not being "perfect" especially if you cannot use a 6 point, for me it is becoming a moot point, I will keep following the 991 GT3 and will keep my deposit at the dealer for now, but I am not going to wait 2 years for a bucket seat to become available

Mike
Old 03-18-2013, 12:34 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

I'd like to know if anyone has managed to put at sport bucket seat in a 991 of any kind without any airbag issue. I think it is likely it could be done as long as one has access to the PIWIS to reset the airbags.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:57 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

I'll take the Porsche Sport Plus seats any day over those Corvette competition seats. They look like junk! Are those supposed to be good for the track?! Just look at them,they have zero bottom side support!
There's one thing to be critical about Porsche's representatives and the direction Porsche is heading regarding transmission and track support,which I am...and another thing to be critical just for the sake of argument,by showing the Corvette example...
Really lame seats!

Quick Reply: MAJOR FAIL! No Sport Bucket Set Option (6 point harness seats) WOW!