Rear Steering, not really new - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices
991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Sponsored by:

Rear Steering, not really new

 
Old 03-07-2013, 01:42 PM
  #1  
Yargk
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Yargk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,751
Default Rear Steering, not really new

Petevb brought up an interesting point on the 997GT3/GT2 board that I thought should get a wider read:
https://rennlist.com/forums/10279691-post43.html

Porsche mentioned that the electric rear steering solved the phase lag problem, which now makes complete sense. The cars always had rear steering due to the rear suspension geometry, but it required the car to settle and so the rear lagged the front, but now with an electric system, the effect is immediate. I'm looking forward to test driving one.
Yargk is offline  
Old 03-07-2013, 01:50 PM
  #2  
JohnnyBahamas
Super User
 
JohnnyBahamas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,607
Default

Disco gimmick.

It'll be gone in three years or less and the cars with it will be unsupported orphans.
JohnnyBahamas is offline  
Old 03-07-2013, 01:52 PM
  #3  
StirlingMoss
User
 
StirlingMoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 337
Default

In three years all competitors will have rear steering...
StirlingMoss is offline  
Old 03-07-2013, 02:18 PM
  #4  
Yargk
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Yargk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,751
Default

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas View Post
Disco gimmick.

It'll be gone in three years or less and the cars with it will be unsupported orphans.
Yeah, I agree, we should all go back to torsion bars and spring plate/trailing arm set ups. That fancy 993 suspension made the car way too easy to slide.
Yargk is offline  
Old 03-07-2013, 06:11 PM
  #5  
axhoaxho
User
 
axhoaxho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,485
Default

I had it on my Honda Prelude 4WS in the 90's. It did work great at corners and lane change, I must admit. However, it also ruined the driving feel of the car, even in a subtle way -- like I posted before, it felt like driving a fire engine that has a second driver that steers the rear end for you.

Well, this is Porsche, I hope it can do magic this time. But my big question is... can't Porsche have a switch for the driver to enable/disable the rear-steering? It is so simple, and will solve the owner concern of like it or not.
axhoaxho is offline  
Old 03-07-2013, 06:20 PM
  #6  
StirlingMoss
User
 
StirlingMoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 337
Default

Can't you test drive it first before you start talking about owner concern? Seriously.
StirlingMoss is offline  
Old 03-07-2013, 06:27 PM
  #7  
cfjan
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
cfjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Longmeadow, MA
Posts: 2,791
Default

I wonder if the rear toe angle are still adjustable or that can be set electronically now..
cfjan is offline  
Old 03-07-2013, 06:28 PM
  #8  
Bill_C4S
User
 
Bill_C4S's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: London, UK
Posts: 1,134
Default

Courtesy of "Jackal" on Pistonheads:

"First ever RS not to use a semi trailing arm, way too easy and boring on the limit
First RS not to have an aircooled engine, christ on a bike
RS now has nannies, PASM and a satnav, they've ruined it
RS now has a pdk box, its no longer a real car

Etc.


My, how selective our memories can be. Every gen there is a gripe. Its the same old script IMO. I bet in another 7 years we will all be lamenting the death of the last true GT3 ...

"The forthcoming 920GT3 will use a 586bhp electric engine, active spring rates and user selectable, on-the-fly, electronic camber and toe.""

Thought he captured it well...

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...GMT&mid=378283
Bill_C4S is offline  
Old 03-07-2013, 06:31 PM
  #9  
StirlingMoss
User
 
StirlingMoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 337
Default

Very well captured indeed.
StirlingMoss is offline  
Old 03-07-2013, 06:57 PM
  #10  
Mike in CA
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Mike in CA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: North Bay Area, CA
Posts: 11,865
Default

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S View Post
Courtesy of "Jackal" on Pistonheads:

"First ever RS not to use a semi trailing arm, way too easy and boring on the limit
First RS not to have an aircooled engine, christ on a bike
RS now has nannies, PASM and a satnav, they've ruined it
RS now has a pdk box, its no longer a real car

Etc.


My, how selective our memories can be. Every gen there is a gripe. Its the same old script IMO. I bet in another 7 years we will all be lamenting the death of the last true GT3 ...

"The forthcoming 920GT3 will use a 586bhp electric engine, active spring rates and user selectable, on-the-fly, electronic camber and toe.""

Thought he captured it well...

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...GMT&mid=378283
Don't you all hate it when someone brings rationality and perspective to the conversation? It trivializes an entire forum's worth of perfectly good whining and ranting......
Mike in CA is offline  
Old 03-07-2013, 07:37 PM
  #11  
DrJay
User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 860
Default

Originally Posted by Mike in CA View Post
Don't you all hate it when someone brings rationality and perspective to the conversation? It trivializes an entire forum's worth of perfectly good whining and ranting......
Ha!
DrJay is offline  
Old 03-07-2013, 07:42 PM
  #12  
ZAMIRZ
User
 
ZAMIRZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: L.A.
Posts: 1,544
Default

Originally Posted by Mike in CA View Post
Don't you all hate it when someone brings rationality and perspective to the conversation? It trivializes an entire forum's worth of perfectly good whining and ranting......
Here here
ZAMIRZ is offline  
Old 03-07-2013, 07:50 PM
  #13  
TRAKCAR
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
TRAKCAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: S. Florida
Posts: 26,684
Default

Originally Posted by StirlingMoss View Post
Can't you test drive it first before you start talking about owner concern? Seriously.
You have to actually buy one to take it for a few weekends to the race track. I'm unwilling to take the drive off the lot depreciation hit and let the brave early adopters tell me about it.

I test drove a 991 and it felt like **** in my hands and the PDK was too boring for me..
I hope I get to instruct in a few of them to feel the car from the passenger seat at the track.
TRAKCAR is offline  
Old 03-07-2013, 08:04 PM
  #14  
paver
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
paver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,104
Default

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR View Post
You have to actually buy one to take it for a few weekends to the race track. I'm unwilling to take the drive off the lot depreciation hit and let the brave early adopters tell me about it.

I test drove a 991 and it felt like **** in my hands and the PDK was too boring for me..
I hope I get to instruct in a few of them to feel the car from the non-sport bucket passenger seat at the track.
clarified your post a little
paver is offline  
Old 03-07-2013, 08:24 PM
  #15  
axhoaxho
User
 
axhoaxho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,485
Default

Originally Posted by StirlingMoss View Post
Can't you test drive it first before you start talking about owner concern? Seriously.
I have a deposit on the RS; and if it also has the 4WS, yes, I will be an owner and I have my concern; and I am serious.

Have you bought a GT3/RS before? I have. The GT3/RS is not like Carrera's that dealers have plenty for test driving. Most of these cars were pre-ordered by owners and when they arrived at the dealer it would be picked up within hours. Very unlikely that any dealers (at least here) will have a car and will allow for test drive thoroughly (not just a couple miles around the block.)

Last edited by axhoaxho; 03-07-2013 at 08:43 PM.
axhoaxho is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Steering, not really new


Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: