Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   Rear Steering, not really new (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/744357-rear-steering-not-really-new.html)

Yargk 03-07-2013 01:42 PM

Rear Steering, not really new

Petevb brought up an interesting point on the 997GT3/GT2 board that I thought should get a wider read:
https://rennlist.com/forums/10279691-post43.html

Porsche mentioned that the electric rear steering solved the phase lag problem, which now makes complete sense. The cars always had rear steering due to the rear suspension geometry, but it required the car to settle and so the rear lagged the front, but now with an electric system, the effect is immediate. I'm looking forward to test driving one.

JohnnyBahamas 03-07-2013 01:50 PM

Disco gimmick.

It'll be gone in three years or less and the cars with it will be unsupported orphans.

StirlingMoss 03-07-2013 01:52 PM

In three years all competitors will have rear steering...

Yargk 03-07-2013 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas (Post 10281766)
Disco gimmick.

It'll be gone in three years or less and the cars with it will be unsupported orphans.

Yeah, I agree, we should all go back to torsion bars and spring plate/trailing arm set ups. That fancy 993 suspension made the car way too easy to slide.

axhoaxho 03-07-2013 06:11 PM

I had it on my Honda Prelude 4WS in the 90's. It did work great at corners and lane change, I must admit. However, it also ruined the driving feel of the car, even in a subtle way -- like I posted before, it felt like driving a fire engine that has a second driver that steers the rear end for you.

Well, this is Porsche, I hope it can do magic this time. But my big question is... can't Porsche have a switch for the driver to enable/disable the rear-steering? It is so simple, and will solve the owner concern of like it or not.

StirlingMoss 03-07-2013 06:20 PM

Can't you test drive it first before you start talking about owner concern? Seriously.

cfjan 03-07-2013 06:27 PM

I wonder if the rear toe angle are still adjustable or that can be set electronically now..

Bill_C4S 03-07-2013 06:28 PM

Courtesy of "Jackal" on Pistonheads:

"First ever RS not to use a semi trailing arm, way too easy and boring on the limit
First RS not to have an aircooled engine, christ on a bike
RS now has nannies, PASM and a satnav, they've ruined it
RS now has a pdk box, its no longer a real car

Etc.

My, how selective our memories can be. Every gen there is a gripe. Its the same old script IMO. I bet in another 7 years we will all be lamenting the death of the last true GT3 ...

"The forthcoming 920GT3 will use a 586bhp electric engine, active spring rates and user selectable, on-the-fly, electronic camber and toe.""

Thought he captured it well...

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...GMT&mid=378283

StirlingMoss 03-07-2013 06:31 PM

Very well captured indeed.

Mike in CA 03-07-2013 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S (Post 10282653)
Courtesy of "Jackal" on Pistonheads:

"First ever RS not to use a semi trailing arm, way too easy and boring on the limit
First RS not to have an aircooled engine, christ on a bike
RS now has nannies, PASM and a satnav, they've ruined it
RS now has a pdk box, its no longer a real car

Etc.

My, how selective our memories can be. Every gen there is a gripe. Its the same old script IMO. I bet in another 7 years we will all be lamenting the death of the last true GT3 ...

"The forthcoming 920GT3 will use a 586bhp electric engine, active spring rates and user selectable, on-the-fly, electronic camber and toe.""

Thought he captured it well...

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...GMT&mid=378283

Don't you all hate it when someone brings rationality and perspective to the conversation? It trivializes an entire forum's worth of perfectly good whining and ranting...... ;)

DrJay 03-07-2013 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mike in CA (Post 10282739)
Don't you all hate it when someone brings rationality and perspective to the conversation? It trivializes an entire forum's worth of perfectly good whining and ranting...... ;)

Ha! :thumbup:

ZAMIRZ 03-07-2013 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mike in CA (Post 10282739)

Here here :bigbye:

TRAKCAR 03-07-2013 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by StirlingMoss (Post 10282619)
Can't you test drive it first before you start talking about owner concern? Seriously.

You have to actually buy one to take it for a few weekends to the race track. I'm unwilling to take the drive off the lot depreciation hit and let the brave early adopters tell me about it.

I test drove a 991 and it felt like sh!t in my hands and the PDK was too boring for me..
I hope I get to instruct in a few of them to feel the car from the passenger seat at the track.

paver 03-07-2013 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR (Post 10282892)
You have to actually buy one to take it for a few weekends to the race track. I'm unwilling to take the drive off the lot depreciation hit and let the brave early adopters tell me about it.

I test drove a 991 and it felt like sh!t in my hands and the PDK was too boring for me..
I hope I get to instruct in a few of them to feel the car from the non-sport bucket passenger seat at the track.

clarified your post a little

axhoaxho 03-07-2013 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by StirlingMoss (Post 10282619)

I have a deposit on the RS; and if it also has the 4WS, yes, I will be an owner and I have my concern; and I am serious.

Have you bought a GT3/RS before? I have. The GT3/RS is not like Carrera's that dealers have plenty for test driving. Most of these cars were pre-ordered by owners and when they arrived at the dealer it would be picked up within hours. Very unlikely that any dealers (at least here) will have a car and will allow for test drive thoroughly (not just a couple miles around the block.)