Sponsored by:

Rear Steering, not really new

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 01:42 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Rear Steering, not really new

Petevb brought up an interesting point on the 997GT3/GT2 board that I thought should get a wider read:
https://rennlist.com/forums/10279691-post43.html

Porsche mentioned that the electric rear steering solved the phase lag problem, which now makes complete sense. The cars always had rear steering due to the rear suspension geometry, but it required the car to settle and so the rear lagged the front, but now with an electric system, the effect is immediate. I'm looking forward to test driving one.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:50 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Disco gimmick.

It'll be gone in three years or less and the cars with it will be unsupported orphans.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:52 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

In three years all competitors will have rear steering...
Old 03-07-2013, 02:18 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
Disco gimmick.

It'll be gone in three years or less and the cars with it will be unsupported orphans.
Yeah, I agree, we should all go back to torsion bars and spring plate/trailing arm set ups. That fancy 993 suspension made the car way too easy to slide.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:11 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had it on my Honda Prelude 4WS in the 90's. It did work great at corners and lane change, I must admit. However, it also ruined the driving feel of the car, even in a subtle way -- like I posted before, it felt like driving a fire engine that has a second driver that steers the rear end for you.

Well, this is Porsche, I hope it can do magic this time. But my big question is... can't Porsche have a switch for the driver to enable/disable the rear-steering? It is so simple, and will solve the owner concern of like it or not.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:20 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Can't you test drive it first before you start talking about owner concern? Seriously.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:27 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

I wonder if the rear toe angle are still adjustable or that can be set electronically now..
Old 03-07-2013, 06:28 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Courtesy of "Jackal" on Pistonheads:

"First ever RS not to use a semi trailing arm, way too easy and boring on the limit
First RS not to have an aircooled engine, christ on a bike
RS now has nannies, PASM and a satnav, they've ruined it
RS now has a pdk box, its no longer a real car

Etc.

My, how selective our memories can be. Every gen there is a gripe. Its the same old script IMO. I bet in another 7 years we will all be lamenting the death of the last true GT3 ...

"The forthcoming 920GT3 will use a 586bhp electric engine, active spring rates and user selectable, on-the-fly, electronic camber and toe.""

Thought he captured it well...

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...GMT&mid=378283
Old 03-07-2013, 06:31 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Very well captured indeed.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:57 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S
Courtesy of "Jackal" on Pistonheads:

"First ever RS not to use a semi trailing arm, way too easy and boring on the limit
First RS not to have an aircooled engine, christ on a bike
RS now has nannies, PASM and a satnav, they've ruined it
RS now has a pdk box, its no longer a real car

Etc.

My, how selective our memories can be. Every gen there is a gripe. Its the same old script IMO. I bet in another 7 years we will all be lamenting the death of the last true GT3 ...

"The forthcoming 920GT3 will use a 586bhp electric engine, active spring rates and user selectable, on-the-fly, electronic camber and toe.""

Thought he captured it well...

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...GMT&mid=378283
Don't you all hate it when someone brings rationality and perspective to the conversation? It trivializes an entire forum's worth of perfectly good whining and ranting......
Old 03-07-2013, 07:37 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Don't you all hate it when someone brings rationality and perspective to the conversation? It trivializes an entire forum's worth of perfectly good whining and ranting......
Ha!
Old 03-07-2013, 07:42 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Here here
Old 03-07-2013, 07:50 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by StirlingMoss
Can't you test drive it first before you start talking about owner concern? Seriously.
You have to actually buy one to take it for a few weekends to the race track. I'm unwilling to take the drive off the lot depreciation hit and let the brave early adopters tell me about it.

I test drove a 991 and it felt like **** in my hands and the PDK was too boring for me..
I hope I get to instruct in a few of them to feel the car from the passenger seat at the track.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:04 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
You have to actually buy one to take it for a few weekends to the race track. I'm unwilling to take the drive off the lot depreciation hit and let the brave early adopters tell me about it.

I test drove a 991 and it felt like **** in my hands and the PDK was too boring for me..
I hope I get to instruct in a few of them to feel the car from the non-sport bucket passenger seat at the track.
clarified your post a little
Old 03-07-2013, 08:24 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by StirlingMoss
I have a deposit on the RS; and if it also has the 4WS, yes, I will be an owner and I have my concern; and I am serious.

Have you bought a GT3/RS before? I have. The GT3/RS is not like Carrera's that dealers have plenty for test driving. Most of these cars were pre-ordered by owners and when they arrived at the dealer it would be picked up within hours. Very unlikely that any dealers (at least here) will have a car and will allow for test drive thoroughly (not just a couple miles around the block.)

Last edited by axhoaxho; 03-07-2013 at 08:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear Steering, not really new