Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 12:43 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Awesome Mike!

$4800 just for red stitching instead of stock white stitching? Geesh
Thanks, Mike. FWIW, red stitching isn't available without full leather so that price is for both. Adding red stitching to full leather is "only" $1490.....
Old 03-07-2013, 04:59 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Mike.

I finalized my order today. White and I skipped on the red stitching. Consider the LED lights. They are the twin tube design used on all the marketing material and IMHO as they are a first for Porsche on the 991 they really make the car look unique. With the standard bixenon the car just looks more like a 991S with an aerokit again IMHO. If you go red the black bi xenon could look good but with a white car would look like panda eyes. Unfortunately the LED headlights are very expensive. The other big ticket item was option 78 (leather without red stitching - platinum instead). Other than that I kept it basic (mats, red belts, non Nav with sound plus etc). I had a max budget of around 10k usd for options...

PS. The red in the press clip looks like they have filled the colour in digitally (same as they have done Im sure with the white). Thing is its harder to tell what the real red will look like from the shots. I think however it will look very nice indeed.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:38 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

what the cost of the LED?
Old 03-07-2013, 11:32 AM
jmm
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sunnyr
Congrats Mike. Looks like nav is free in US unlike the UK configurator.

Anyone know what is the difference between -

68 Leather interior in Black, deviating stitching in Guards Red $3,320
and
749 Leather interior package with decorative Red stitching $1,490?
Although I don't really know about the GT3, leather interior has meant different things through the years. On the 993 it was seats, dashboard, and door panels.
On the 996 it also included air conditioning vents and speaker surrounds. It was pretty much the same on the 997. Optionally, you could add leather seat backs.

However, on the 991, leather interior meant seats, part of the door panels and part of the dash. It had unstitched leather on the top of the console, lid cover and rear tunnel cover. You could add leather to the seat backs. You could add the rest of the door panels, the rest of the dash, the rest of the console, and additional stitching to the console lid cover and the rear tunnel cover. Additionally you could replace the aluminum trim on the dash and door panels with leather, as well as the gear shift trim. Some of these were specific options and some came in "packages."

All years offered additional leather for the steering column, seat bases, headliner, sun visors, key covers and the metal surrounding the PCM, the instrument cluster and a few other things I don't remember.

I would expect that the leather options mentioned are different degrees of adding leather to the car as they are in the Carrera and Carrera S. I also know that adding contrasting stitching is not a universal option, but must be specified for what stitching is affected. It's easy to miss some and some are not even available.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:11 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
My salesman just called. His dealership received confirmation of their first GT3 allocation this afternoon, and since I was first on the wait list he grabbed it for me. The car has been generically spec'd by Porsche and I was sent the 10 page order document complete with US prices for the options that had been selected for this car, and a Porsche order code.

He says having the allocation come with a particular configuration is common and that once the car is assigned to me, he can go into the system and make any changes in color or options that I might wish to make. It's not clear at this point when the car will actually be ordered or delivered, but the fact that an actual production allocation has already been assigned seems to be an indicator that it might be sooner that I originally thought.

I still haven't seen a complete option list so I don't know if sport buckets, for example, are available as they weren't on this particular car. Interestingly, front axle lift is shown, even though information on the German configurator indicated it wouldn't be available until later in the model run. Either that means the availablilty has changed or it's an indicator of when the car will be built for the US.

The important thing, to me, is that I've got a production slot, although I can still back out at any time and get my deposit back. (Don't see that happening at this point). Also, the car will be sold at MSRP. No discount, but no gouging markup either.
Good to hear. AFAIK, I'm the next in line with the same dealer.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:26 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

UK dealers are not permitted by PCGB to sell cars above list price.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:56 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by sfo
UK dealers are not permitted by PCGB to sell cars above list price.
In the US, some get around that by selling the car to a broker. He drives it for a few miles and brings it back. Now they sell it as 'used' and jack up the price. Most common with Ferrari, although I have seen the same tactic with the BMW 1M and others.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:03 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Any word on 'GT2' sport bucket seats?
Old 03-07-2013, 01:05 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
In the US, some get around that by selling the car to a broker. He drives it for a few miles and brings it back. Now they sell it as 'used' and jack up the price. Most common with Ferrari, although I have seen the same tactic with the BMW 1M and others.
some UK dealers indulge in that practice too.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:01 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sfo
Originally Posted by RayDBonz
some UK dealers indulge in that practice too.
Ferrari dealer does this in NC for sure
Old 03-07-2013, 02:13 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Hi Mike.

I finalized my order today. White and I skipped on the red stitching. Consider the LED lights. They are the twin tube design used on all the marketing material and IMHO as they are a first for Porsche on the 991 they really make the car look unique. With the standard bixenon the car just looks more like a 991S with an aerokit again IMHO. If you go red the black bi xenon could look good but with a white car would look like panda eyes. Unfortunately the LED headlights are very expensive. The other big ticket item was option 78 (leather without red stitching - platinum instead). Other than that I kept it basic (mats, red belts, non Nav with sound plus etc). I had a max budget of around 10k usd for options...

PS. The red in the press clip looks like they have filled the colour in digitally (same as they have done Im sure with the white). Thing is its harder to tell what the real red will look like from the shots. I think however it will look very nice indeed.
Congrats, Macca! I'm still trying to sort through colors and options. Like you, I'm going to keep options light. I'm a little confused now since the US configurator does not show sport buckets or front axle lift, even though FAL is shown on the preliminary spec, with US dollars, for the car I'm being allocated. I will get full leather, but am leaning away from the red stitching. Nav is standard here. Still need to decide on color; always the most difficult decision for me.....

Last edited by Mike in CA; 03-07-2013 at 04:49 PM. Reason: corrected standard options
Old 03-07-2013, 04:15 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

When do USA deliveries to customers start?
Old 03-07-2013, 04:21 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Hothonda
When do USA deliveries to customers start?
I've heard December.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:07 PM
Dave C4S Cab
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats Mike on getting that 1st slot. I'm either 2 or 3 on my dealers list(guy in front might drop off), Only option I don't see on the configurator yet is the Axel lift, I'm sure it'll show up before it's my turn. My 2010 GT3 didn't have the Axel lift and I was always scraping the front lip. The long wait begins...

my options so far
Old 03-07-2013, 05:15 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Dave. Good move with the LED PDLS headlight cluster. This is a new tech launched for the first time on the GT3 but likely to become standard fair on the 991.2 and GT3RS so its a future proofing of the asthetic and although expensive worth the the investment IMHO.

Have you considered dropping the leather seat backs, having a holiday in Hawaii for the saving and spending $200 per seat having your local vinyl wrap guy do a white vinyl wrap on the rear of the seats to colour key it to the external of the car? Thats what Im doing and I think its much more in keeping with the sports nature and optic of the car....

Quick Reply: GT3 allocation