Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

US Configurator

Old 03-07-2013, 03:09 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 912 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
No carbon buckets for US? Yowsers...fatty fatty (porker) stay off the track. Getting worse by the day. Whew.

It's a Car's n Coffee car, no doubt...
Pete: How much is that Manolo Blahnik thing you're getting again? Thinking of licensing one in VT and just leaving it up there.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:22 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nizer
Pete: How much is that Manolo Blahnik thing you're getting again? Thinking of licensing one in VT and just leaving it up there.
Contact Shinoo at Sector111 the US distributor, there are some variables. Roughly the same price as an optioned 991 GT3.

Faster than a GT3 Cup, much higher quality, 70% lower running cost. No compromise design (single-seat). No ABS/PASM/PSM, or power steering/brakes = pure analog experience. 1200 lbs vs 3500 lbs. True race car parts and construction. It's a no-brainer for a real enthusiast who loves to track and has a basic level of driving skill.

Forgot, current lead time to delivery is approx 12 months... They are deeply backordered.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:00 PM
Salj
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 53 Posts

Don't think the US configurator is complete--no Front Axle Lifting
Old 03-07-2013, 04:08 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Two ways this goes:

1) they're backordered for months and hence won't be available for early deliveries (this makes sense as PAG doesn't give a hoot about the US and probably only told PCNA about the car last week).

2) Sport Buckets are only going to be offered on the RS (thus increasing the "yawning divide" between the standard GT3 and the RS).
You may be right about supply shortage, but there may also be NHTSA issues. The sport buckets have passed in the past, as they were either standard or optional on all 987.2 and 997.2 models, but perhaps there are new standards that they have either failed to pass or have not been tested for yet. It is not like Porsche to leave money on the table in the form of options, and it appears that the US is the only market where they are unavailable on all 981 and 991 models.

The other possibility is that the sport buckets were such a PITA for dealers' inventory, that they lobbied PCNA to not make them available.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:26 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 59 Posts

Contact Shinoo at Sector111 the US distributor, there are some variables. Roughly the same price as an optioned 991 GT3.

Faster than a GT3 Cup, much higher quality, 70% lower running cost. No compromise design (single-seat). No ABS/PASM/PSM, or power steering/brakes = pure analog experience. 1200 lbs vs 3500 lbs. True race car parts and construction. It's a no-brainer for a real enthusiast who loves to track and has a basic level of driving skill.

Forgot, current lead time to delivery is approx 12 months... They are deeply backordered.
And didn't you say it was street legal in CA? Do they offer an assemble yourself option that is cheaper?
Old 03-07-2013, 05:31 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,138 Likes on 560 Posts

I get ~$154k for a car with adjustable seats, good headlights and the mandatory new monster/oversize PCCB (the steels won't hold up for more than a couple track days with this heavy beast).

Boulevard Cruiser Extraordinaire. But this is no track car. Give up the dream, them's the facts. Hope for the best when the RS spec is released.

Marketing guys won...
Not sure I get your point. It is within 5% of the previous model based on US curb weights, and in real life it may be even closer because now the curb weight number includes more of the stuff that was added by many owners on the previous car. The brakes are supposed to be better (bigger, and better cooling), so that should compensate for 5% weight increase, is that not right? Or was the previous model a boulevard cruiser with subpar brakes as well, and you just hoped for a radical departure with this one?
Old 03-07-2013, 05:58 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
You may be right about supply shortage, but there may also be NHTSA issues. The sport buckets have passed in the past, as they were either standard or optional on all 987.2 and 997.2 models, but perhaps there are new standards that they have either failed to pass or have not been tested for yet. It is not like Porsche to leave money on the table in the form of options, and it appears that the US is the only market where they are unavailable on all 981 and 991 models.

The other possibility is that the sport buckets were such a PITA for dealers' inventory, that they lobbied PCNA to not make them available.
Or there is simply a delay in the certification. A very similar situation arose when I was ordering my '09 997.2 S, but I was eventually able to get sport buckets.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:59 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by sunnyr
And didn't you say it was street legal in CA? Do they offer an assemble yourself option that is cheaper?
Lol...you would not want to tackle a self-assembly. I have a deep automotive technical and hands-on background and toyed with the idea until I saw the actual car and reminded myself of my favorite axiom:

Knowledge is knowing how to do something, wisdom is knowing not to. It's not gran'paw's kitcar, that I assure you

Shinoo is in process of making his street legal, so it can be done.

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Not sure I get your point. It is within 5% of the previous model based on US curb weights, and in real life it may be even closer because now the curb weight number includes more of the stuff that was added by many owners on the previous car. The brakes are supposed to be better (bigger, and better cooling), so that should compensate for 5% weight increase, is that not right? Or was the previous model a boulevard cruiser with subpar brakes as well, and you just hoped for a radical departure with this one?
Weight is the enemy. There is no way around it or to compensate. That's fact and any race engineer or knowledgeable enthusiast will agree. Weight is directly proportional to running cost and lap times, all else being equal.

Correct, the previous model did have deficient (sub-par, whatever wording you like) brakes for those of us who are serious trackers. Review my posts over the past three years for detail, substantiation, and how I put my money where my mouth was (multiple times). The new model's PCCB 410mm monsters are proof of my multi-year contention. They sure as hell didn't upgrade so massively for the fun of it, yes?
Old 03-07-2013, 06:01 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
You're arguing using facts and logic, not emotion Max. Not acceptable.....

Old 03-07-2013, 06:05 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Weight is the enemy. There is no way around it or to compensate. That's fact and any race engineer or knowledgeable enthusiast will agree. Weight is directly proportional to running cost and lap times, all else being equal.

Correct, the previous model did have deficient (sub-par, whatever wording you like) brakes for those of us who are serious trackers. Review my posts over the past three years for detail, substantiation, and how I put my money where my mouth was (multiple times). The new model's PCCB 410mm monsters are proof of my multi-year contention. They sure as hell didn't upgrade so massively for the fun of it, yes?
Weight is the enemy, but how much weight is relevant, and we're not talking about much; little more really than you could achieve by optioning a car with moderately more equipment. And everyone is going to huge brakes now, not least because they are able to do so with the bigger wheels. Increased capability may have been a design goal, but not because there has been a huge weight increase.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:12 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

I get ~$154k for a car with adjustable seats, good headlights and the mandatory new monster/oversize PCCB (the steels won't hold up for more than a couple track days with this heavy beast).

Boulevard Cruiser Extraordinaire. But this is no track car. Give up the dream, them's the facts. Hope for the best when the RS spec is released.

Marketing guys won...
Take a deep breath. Relax.

This is no boulevard cruiser. Nor is it a heavy beast. It is track oriented sports car. As good as they come.

It is unbelievable how people pre maturely judge a car which they have never driven... or not even seen in real life.

Talk about viral whining.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:21 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by StirlingMoss
Take a deep breath. Relax.

This is no boulevard cruiser. Nor is it a heavy beast. It is track oriented sports car. As good as they come.

It is unbelievable how people pre maturely judge a car which they have never driven... or not even seen in real life.

Talk about viral whining.
Lol...you are right. I have no background or direct experience from which to draw.

Carry on with the IV Kool-aid Let me know how it feels when the bag runs dry and the DT's hit...
Old 03-07-2013, 06:54 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Whats the deal?

No Sports Bucket Seats
No Lifting System

Not a big deal
No Privacy Glass?
Old 03-07-2013, 07:28 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

A partial answer to my question:

- The option '474 - Front Axle Lift System' is delayed and will not be
available before 2nd week in October (that's the information that we have
right now...).
- The option 'P03 - Sport Bucket Seats' will not be available for the US.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:40 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
- The option 'P03 - Sport Bucket Seats' will not be available for the US.
MJones, your inside info has always been accurate. Any word on why they will not be?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: US Configurator