Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordering a 991 GT3 for European Delivery (Stuttgart pickup)?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 12:36 PM
sirtom
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Ordering a 991 GT3 for European Delivery (Stuttgart pickup)?

I've done Euro Delivery on a couple BMWs and would love to do it on a Porsche - especially on the 991 GT3.

I heard it no longer costs extra with Porsche, and they no longer make you front the VAT (but it still isn't as good as BMW, who gives you a 7% - 10% discount).

Does anyone know:
1) if this is possible on the GT3?
2) does it come out of the dealer's allocation?
3) if you can get it at the same time as it comes out in the US (or sooner, or later)?
Old 03-06-2013, 01:10 PM
Jaypod
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in contact with my advisor yesterday regarding the European Delivery option, and he did say it is available. The link he pointed me to was for the US and Canada. Not sure about allocation (I already have a deposit on one) or discounts etc. Didnt get that far as I am still waiting for all the pricing details etc.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:20 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

VAT prepay is still required (at least a good portion of it)

2) does not come out of dealer allocation
3) Would guess same time as other U.S. spec (minus shipping time)
Old 03-06-2013, 02:56 PM
beowulf
Instructor

Hello. I was in the process of placing a deposit for a GT3 at Autogallery in LA and they said
"No Euro Delivery for GT3."

Is this a dealer specific choice are is there actually NO Euro program for GT3?

TIA
Old 03-06-2013, 02:59 PM
sirtom
Rennlist Member

Very interesting. I will talk to my two contacts at PCNA as well as my local dealers and try to find out.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:08 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

if you can , you must!
Old 03-15-2013, 06:13 PM
sirtom
Rennlist Member

Got the answers:

1) if this is possible on the GT3? YES
2) does it come out of the dealer's allocation? NO
3) if you can get it at the same time as it comes out in the US (or sooner, or later)? SAME DATE - NOT BEFORE LAUNCH DATE - NOVEMBER 2013
Old 03-15-2013, 06:35 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

On an ED in the winter months...are you allowed to drive your car w/o having snow - traction tires installed first - per Germany's laws?
Old 03-15-2013, 07:43 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I imagine the car would have to meet all applicable highway safety laws which in Germany means snow tires for winter driving. I've done ED 3 times with Porsche, but all in the summer. IMO, taking tourist delivery of a new GT3 in winter wouldn't be ideal.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:13 PM
designarchitect
3rd Gear

Default 991 GT3 on Order

I placed my order today for a black on black GT3 from Porsche Canada. The options include PDLS, Bi-Xenon, Ceramic Brakes, Lifting system Front Axle,
Sound Package Plus, Sport Chrono Package, Sport Design Wheel N/C, Model
Delete N/C, Base Price in Canada $148,800, with Options $166,110, Stuttgart delivery.

I live on the west coast of Canada and wanted the rear wiper option but
was told it will not be available.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:20 AM
LonnieR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Euro delivery is possible with GT3. Dealers, on the other hand, trying to not to encourage it for other models because it costs them money. The fee that orsche use to charge for insurance is now taken from the dealers. I was looking for a 991 CS, and the discount I got was only contingent on US delivery. Euro delivery would have produced a lower discount off the new car.
Since all the initial GT3's will be sold with no discount, this is not an issue.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:09 AM
GuyR
Racer

German law does not require snow tyres, but if you have an accident and you have the wrong tyres for the conditions you are at fault, hence most people choose to have snow tyres depending on where they live.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:33 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by GuyR
German law does not require snow tyres, but if you have an accident and you have the wrong tyres for the conditions you are at fault, hence most people choose to have snow tyres depending on where they live.
I'm no expert on the subject, but this information suggests there was a change in 2010 that mandates something different from what you are saying:

http://www.german-way.com/ice-snow-tires.html
Old 03-16-2013, 04:46 PM
GuyR
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I'm no expert on the subject, but this information suggests there was a change in 2010 that mandates something different from what you are saying:

Not seen that before (very interesting), but even that says it's law in icy conditions, rather than a specific time of year, so the requirement will depend on the weather. The fine is only 40 euros anyway!
Old 03-16-2013, 05:56 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Hothonda
...are you allowed to drive your car w/o having snow - traction tires installed first - per Germany's laws?
I imagine the car would have to meet all applicable highway safety laws which in Germany means snow tires for winter driving.
Originally Posted by GuyR
German law does not require snow tyres...

Yes, there has been changes in the way manufacturers deal with tires mounted on your Europe Delivery vehicle if you pick up in the winter. BMW, Porsche (and probably others) are offering 'winter' tires if you pick up a car at the factory during the 'winter' months. These tires are 'rentals' only. The program has evolved and they normally swap your wheels at delivery with winter tires already mounted on separate set of rims. The latter could be even in a smaller size to fit slimmer snow tires! And they will swap them back for your regular 'sport performance' tires before shipment back to the US! Cost are an extra expense or already built-in re: ED pricing. Porsche apparently includes this additional cost into the program so it's not itemized as an 'extra'. BMW initially tried a rental program. I don't know if they have changed that now.

These 'winter' tires options were NOT available on European Delivery (on any brand) as recently as MY2007! When I picked up my BMW 650i Vert in late October of 2006, I had standard summer performance tires on delivery! There were some snow flakes falling on the day of pickup at the Munich suburb (just before they finished the new BMW Welt). But the next night, just outside Garmisch-Partenkirchen, we woke up to snow! We gingerly retraced our steps out of this Alpine region and finished our ED experience in the sunnier weather of Alsace, France! So these regulations have 'tightened' in the past few years, probably based on the changing & stricter German regulations linked here by Mike in CA.

I have done 5 European Deliveries involving Porsches & BMW's and I strongly recommend scheduling them during summer or shoulder seasons when you don't need to be fitted with winter tires!

Saludos,
Eduardo

PS GuyR, the 40 Euros is the lest of your problems! The potential damages & liability to the insurance company underwriting the ED policy is enormous. The insurance considerations probably drove the 'winter' tire modifications that we are seeing implemented in ED!

PSS. I hope all of you are also watching Sebring on Speed!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Ordering a 991 GT3 for European Delivery (Stuttgart pickup)?