Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   Andreas Preuninger Car Interview (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/744117-andreas-preuninger-car-interview.html)

Macca 03-14-2013 05:56 AM

Thanks Mooty. Frankly the debate has become quite banal on this new 991 GT3 board I feel. We should name it as "Porsche whippng boy board".

It wasnt till I joined the 991 GT3 thread that I learned how crap the 997 GT3 is LOL. Infact its damn right scary owning a 3.8RS if you read this forum. Wheels falling off and all that. I was so glad I was buying a 991 GT3! I callled my mechanic at the largest Porsche Main Dealer in New Zealand and I said - look whats happening with these wheels falling off the 997.2 GT3/RS? He said, what? We haven't had a single issue (granted there are only say 24 997.2 GT3+RS in NZ).

The most important point you brought to bear is reliability given use. Even though Porsche has clearly sold itself out to the devil and is rapidly sliding down hill and loosing the faith of those on this board (tongue in cheek) they do make a fair priced car you can run hard and fast on road or track and which is reliable and not too temperamental. Anyone remember TVR?

Macca 03-14-2013 06:02 AM

Thanks Mooty. Frankly the debate has become quite banal on this new 991 GT3 board as I have already said. We should name it as "Porsche whippng boy board".

It wasn't till I joined the 991 GT3 thread that I learned how crap the 997.2 GT3 is LOL. Infact its damn right scary owning a 3.8RS if you read this forum. Wheels falling off and all that. I was so glad I was buying a 991 GT3! Maybe they can fix the mistakes in that junk LOL! I callled my mechanic at the largest Porsche Main Dealer in New Zealand and I said - look whats happening with these wheels falling off the 997.2 GT3/RS? He said, what? We haven't had a single issue (granted there are only say 24 997.2 GT3+RS in NZ).

The most important point you brought to bear is reliability given use. Even though Porsche has clearly sold itself out to the devil and is rapidly sliding down hill and loosing the faith of those on this board (tongue in cheek) they do make a fair priced car you can run hard and fast on road or track and which is reliable and not too temperamental. Anyone remember TVR?

Bill_C4S 03-14-2013 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Macca (Post 10299617)
Anyone remember TVR?

mosey on over to TVRheads...aka Pistonheads...and you'll find the mother lode of TVR adherents....

Curiously TVR Sagaris are now much sought after collectibles in the UK...

With prices having ~doubled in the past couple of years....

(BTW - Wellington looked magnificent on the Sky HD live feed of the NZ vs Pommes test match yday.....although as a West Islander...hard to know for whom to barrack :) )

Macca 03-14-2013 06:34 AM

Yeah, rare curiosities now after the Russian kid screwed it up. Sagaris probably the most reliable being the last model. Fine looking machines. I would have sworn the press was exaggerating when talking of the reliability issues, that was until I went to LeMans in 2007 with a mate in his Tuscan. He bought it new. It basically burned to the ground within 12 months. On our trip nothing fell off but the engine bearings needed doing shortly after the trip. He still owns it because he has so much invested in it he cant bear to sell it. Hopefully it doubles in price too!

Wellington is a great town and NZ has had a great summer. Your a long way from home Bill. Whate state are you from?

I'm a big fan of Pistonheads. Even have the t shirt! Subscribe to Evo, & Porsche & 911 world etc....

Bill_C4S 03-14-2013 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Macca (Post 10299642)
I'm a big fan of Pistonheads. Even have the t shirt! Subscribe to Evo, & Porsche & 911 world etc....

Australian by birth...Victorian by the grace of God :D

and the MCG is still my definition of Mecca....

Evo has been on the must read list since edition 1...subscribed pretty much ever since.

Walking into a Porsche showroom in 1978...knee high to a grasshopper...but that 911SC in red.....yup....that did it.

Macca 03-14-2013 07:42 AM

Mine was a red 911 SC (1983) too. Snap on Evo from edition 1 (1998).

I think you are going to love the 991 GT3. What colour are you thinking. Red?

Bill_C4S 03-14-2013 08:13 AM

Am hoping for the PTS window to open...one of the non metallic blues (voodoo/mexico/riviera) definitely getting some thoughts.

Bit of concern that for the UK PTS on any 991 does not seem open..at least not on the config tool

If such blues are unavailable..then am debating between white/red....maybe even the amaranth metallic red

Expect confirmation of build slot sometime in next two weeks.....deposit confirmed by PCGB...on dealer short list...so maybe this side of New Years.....

So there's still some time to ...cogitate on colour.

Macca 03-14-2013 08:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Bill. I am also RHD but not via NZ dealer. I also wanted PTS blue (Turquoise or Maritiime) but could not chance not making the PTS window. Ive attached a pic in maritime? blue someone mocked up to give you an idea. Very sweet. I have chosen to go white instead.

Ive been told allocation will become more clear after 21 March. Porsche look like they be holding all RHD production back in lieu of LHD units. Originally was told July production slot, then that moved to November and now waiting on Porsche to verify quotas/allocations. Probably will end up getting built with the first UK cars in Oct....

911rox 03-14-2013 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by orthojoe (Post 10299133)
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8525/8...195dbd_b_d.jpg

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...ightdyno-1.jpg

I can't be the only one here that has concerns about the big drop in power after 8250 rpms. I was excited about 9k rpms until I saw the dyno charts. It might as well be the same 8500rpm limit from before. I've owned/driven cars that drop power towards redline. It's not as exciting.

Maybe this why AP was describing the metallic sound of the engine beyond 8500rpm being emotional... Because its the sound of the engine destroying itself for no notable gain whatsoever... No use having a redline at 9000rpm if the last 700 rpm are just giving you noise, wear and tear....:to_order:

Nizer 03-14-2013 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Macca (Post 10299695)
Bill. I am also RHD but not via NZ dealer. I also wanted PTS blue (Turquoise or Maritiime) but could not chance not making the PTS window. Ive attached a pic in maritime? blue someone mocked up to give you an idea. Very sweet. I have chosen to go white instead.

That looks even better than expected.

Macca 03-14-2013 09:28 AM

LOL!

You could say the same thing about the peak hp curve of the 1973RS, 964RS and 993RS and 996.1 GT3 and 996.2 GT3 and 997.1 GT3............not many production cars make their peak hp at they maximum cut off rpm. That would be inviting wear and tear surely. How close to peak rpm can you time your shift without latent over run?

Standard practice is they provide a minimum band of 500rpm after peak before cut out and often more like all the above examples which are around 700 rom safety. Any motorsports tuner worth their salt will tell you this...

maybe Im an idiot but does not the 997.1 GT3 in your avatar produce its peak power (305kw) at 7600 rpm but cut out at 8400 rpm?

911rox 03-14-2013 09:48 AM

Macca, mine is a 997.2 and yes it peaks at 435hp at 7600 but the drop off is like 5 or so hp. The power curve for the car beyond 7600 rpm is virtually horizontal not dropping 50+hp like the new car. Keep in mind that whilst the mezger motors redline at 8400-8500rpm, overrev ranges start at 9500rpm plus....

Macca 03-14-2013 10:00 AM

Apologies Chris, I didn't see your signature.

So the issue is not the 700 odd rpm over run that you also have with your GT3 (and almost eveery 911 Porsche has produced) but the area under the curve/drop off of power after redline?

Im very confused. Given almost everything Im reading on these threads is speculation with a healthy dollop of BS for good measure, can someone please direct me to a copy of the factory 991 GT3 dyno chart? or is that all speculation as well?

There are alot of experts on here. Im certainly not one of them - but I suspect some of these guys should be working for Porsche given what they know LOL!

911rox 03-14-2013 10:05 AM

Lmao... No need for apologies Macca, you've hardly offended! ;)

Yes, the dramatic drop off is the part I find interesting... Some hp loss is expected as an engine can run less efficiently power wise beyond its peak point from what I understand

Would love to see where that chart came from myself, hopefully off a Porsche site for the 991 gt3 curve at the very least althought I'd be guessing the RS curve has been overlayed as I doubt Porsche would compare the two...

savyboy 03-14-2013 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by 911rox (Post 10299742)
Maybe this why AP was describing the metallic sound of the engine beyond 8500rpm being emotional... Because its the sound of the engine destroying itself for no notable gain whatsoever... No use having a redline at 9000rpm if the last 700 rpm are just giving you noise, wear and tear....:to_order:

:p As soon as I saw that dyno chart I thought two things:

1. Ha! It goes to 9000rpm but you only go there if you want to lose power and go slower. More symbolism over substance.
2. Ah-ha! That is where they will differentiate the RS, it will (actually) make power at 9000 rpm (new heads/cams)

They neutered the GT3 to leave room for the GT3RS.

Originally Posted by 911rox (Post 10299803)
Macca, mine is a 997.2 and yes it peaks at 435hp at 7600 but the drop off is like 5 or so hp. The power curve for the car beyond 7600 rpm is virtually horizontal not dropping 50+hp like the new car. Keep in mind that whilst the mezger motors redline at 8400-8500rpm, overrev ranges start at 9500rpm plus....

Yeppers, and my ex-4.0 made power all the way to 8500 rpm, truth in advertising there! As usual my friend 911rox distills the marketing BS from reality.