Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Andreas Preuninger Car Interview

Old 03-14-2013, 04:51 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z356
No, a more track oriented Cayman R is NOT where we are being led to by the powers that be. Porsche is going to 'herd' the former gt3 hard-core enthusiast track crowd (at least those with the wallets than can support it) slowly into the more expensive upcoming 960! That is going to be the new 'gt3' for the Porsche equivalent of the Tifosi, if you get my drift!
You think that thing will come with manual and no gizmos? Never.

The 960 will fill a market niche above the GT3. I am talking about a niche below the GT3 which would fit a light, manual and track focused Cayman. The R was close, but just a first iteration. The bets are on
Old 03-14-2013, 04:59 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Just to clarify this.

The 991 GT3 power curve that was produced here comes from Porsche? Or is it just supposition?

Just wondered because its talked about like its fact thats all...
Old 03-14-2013, 05:00 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Just to clarify this.

The 991 GT3 power curve that was produced here comes from Porsche? Or is it just supposition?

Came from Porsche...
Old 03-14-2013, 05:05 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Just to clarify this.

Isn't everything here facts? Now you disappoint me...

Yes, the power curve is in the official GT3 advert video. Unless the video is fake
Old 03-14-2013, 05:13 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StirlingMoss
The 960 will fill a market niche above the GT3. I am talking about a niche below the GT3 which would fit a light, manual and track focused Cayman. The R was close, but just a first iteration. The bets are on
My bet is with Z356/jumper all day long, everyday. Porsche's actions show where it's interest and future are. They had the chance to create a very special Cayman R, yet chose a lazy parts-bin engineering exercise with the biggest budget going to the marketing hype for the car. Let me be clear- it is the most enthusiast friendly of the Cayman lineup, and if you want a Cayman for spirited use it is the clear choice.

Nor is there a value proposition to the 918, it is a solution to no need. Wholly Rube Goldbergian in concept and execution. A gaudy medallion serving only to advertise excess over reason. An exercise to extract profits. "Full stop", as the new buzz phrase seems to be...

$$$$$$$

Cayenne and 960/918, that is Porsche's future. Don't fight, accept it, it's ok. There are more choices now than ever in every market segment. Just date those offerings though, don't marry them
Old 03-14-2013, 05:17 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

You think that thing will come with manual and no gizmos? Never.
Did I say manual and no gizmos on the FeFi? Or are you making the 'assumptions' you hate others to make on this forum!

I had a '12 Spyder, which rivaled the Cayman R even on the 'track'! Ask Pete Stout about this! I have friends with Cayman R's that are trying their best to make it even more road and track worthy! Trust me when I say that Porsche, in practice, is not interested in giving the Boxster/Cayman chassis, motor or transmission an actual 'track-oriented' edge over the equivalent gt3 of the same era! If you were to ask Porsche, in broad terms, what model they would recommend for recreational track use (not racing), they will (in broad terms, after checking with their lawyers) tell you that a gt3 is the preferred tool for that job! So it is not realistic, in my opinion, to expect the 981 Cayman R (if/when it arrives) to fill that track-oriented niche, at least not as it's envisioned currently by Porsche!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 03-14-2013, 05:19 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Nobody takes the boxster owner seriously. Skip to 1:06

Just to clarify this.

Are you serious? You still don't believe it? You honestly think I'm making things up? Did you watch the video and skip to 1:06?
Do I need to change my avatar and remove my sig to get any credibility around here?
Old 03-14-2013, 05:33 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks orthojoe. I understand now where it was lifted from. Clever detective work!
Old 03-14-2013, 06:47 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Originally Posted by Z356
Did I say manual and no gizmos on the FeFi? Or are you making the 'assumptions' you hate others to make on this forum!
No, you did not say that, I said that

I am making the assumption that the 960 will get PDK only while a more track oriented 981 "clubsport" will have a manual option. Hence this could become an alternative to those who want a more involving and challenging road/track car.

I waiting with anticipation for the 981 Spyder and hope that, if it arrives, will be even more brilliant than the outgoing Spyder.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:47 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Are you serious? You still don't believe it? You honestly think I'm making things up? Did you watch the video and skip to 1:06?
Do I need to change my avatar and remove my sig to get any credibility around here?
Thanks for the information and the video. As for those who believe that you produced a fake video, just put them on the ignore list, or think of it as a compliment for highly skilled and professional work on par with Porsche.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:18 PM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

No, a more track oriented Cayman R is NOT where we are being led to by the powers that be. Porsche is going to 'herd' the former gt3 hard-core enthusiast track crowd (at least those with the wallets than can support it) slowly into the more expensive upcoming 960! That is going to be the new 'gt3' for the Porsche equivalent of the Tifosi, if you get my drift!
You may be right! Will the 991 RSR be running the Mezger for one or 2 years? We could very well see the transition to the 960 in a couple of years.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:19 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

I (am) waiting with anticipation for the 981 Spyder and hope that, if it arrives, will be even more brilliant than the outgoing Spyder.
Well, I got news on that front which was leaked to me by a close friend in Zuffenhausen that is working on the 981 Spyder project. If you wanted 'involving and challenging', I believe this model will meet your expectations! See the spy shots of it taken outside a cafe in the Stuttgart suburb of Fellbach. It will keep the 987's light weight canvas top, although this one will be easier to put up & down! It has taken three years to come up with this innovative design, although it looks suspiciously similar to one previously used on 356's in the last century! But Porsche says the design is 'mostly new'. The really amazing technology here is the 'Porsche Active Door Steering', an electromechanical system never seen before...at least not in the past 50 years! The system ingeniously opens both driver AND passenger doors at speed to give better agility to the car and increase 'dramatically' turn-in capability! For example, you will get a thrill of a lifetime as the driver's door opens as you approach 5 at Laguna Seca. It makes that turn truly memorable! And you will positively love the choreography of the doors - opening & closing in quick succession - as your 981 Spyder takes Corkscrew's epic Left-Right turns! This 981 Spyder will simply take you to a higher level of sensory overload than you have ever experienced before in or on a Porsche!

My German contact overheard Andreas Prueninger say that Porsche engineers can change the angle of the doors by up to 1.5 degrees (or was that 15 degrees?) in regular mode, which doesn’t sound like much but the effect is tremendous! It will also feature a 'Hooligan Mode' so that you can pull a paddle (Porsche does love paddles!) and both doors will fling open simultaneously to 90 degrees at speeds not to exceed 65 mph! He guarantees 'donuts' on that...or some other kind of flat pastry, a 'Bialy' is what I think he called it! Using this special feature is not recommended for beginners and this 'paddle' might not be offered on the US spec model! Sorry OrthoJoe. AP was heard to say that 'it simply didn't make sense not to use all these systems to take on all the other competitors out there'. One more thing, the 981 Spyder's trunks (front & rear) have been expanded so you can fit up to FIFTY tennis rackets. This will make both Mooty & Borg very happy!

Brilliant? Yes that too! Rennlisters! You saw it and heard it here first!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images   
Old 03-15-2013, 05:20 AM
tripleblack
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Humor! Post of the month
Old 03-15-2013, 06:43 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

just wanted to get back a bit on the title of the thread..and look what jumper5836 wrote in the other thread...

AP said in the Top gear interview 2010 - "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging"
http://www.topgear.com/uk/porsche/911/road-test/gt3-rs

He also said
"The manual gearbox in the GT3 is the best match for the purist."
http://www.edmunds.com/porsche/911/2010/road-test1.html

From 06 March 2013 interview he said in this interview when talking about why they choose PDK.

"And on a race track the PDK gains three-quarters of a car length with every shift, so after a long straight you’re ahead of the other car and can turn-in in front of him."

Thanks Jumper for the good "journalistic research work"
Old 03-15-2013, 07:08 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by brake dust
You may be right! Will the 991 RSR be running the Mezger for one or 2 years? We could very well see the transition to the 960 in a couple of years.
Exactly...thats also my guess...which could/would explain APs hesitation on the confirmation of the 991 gT3 engine in race cars.

I already mentioned here my guess, Porsche will continue with the current 997 - 991 CUP engine for another 2-3 years max..and then put the 960 with B8 in direct competition to the 458 etc..I think then it will destroy everything on the track..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Andreas Preuninger Car Interview