Sponsored by:

So you want a manual transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 10:52 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by StirlingMoss
What makes you think the following is so strong?
A good proportion of those buying them in the past were repeat customers whom used them as intended... On the track dispite noise, harsh ride, heavy clutch etc etc...

Those excited about the new gt3 seem to be all those guys whom found them too "hardcore"... Thus why I'm seeing guys posting their excitment yet wishing they could get 4 seat options or wing deletes.... Wtf! Its a GT3! what are the carreras there for?

Whilst I hope it won't be the case, I'm pretty sure in 12 months time I won't be seeing many 991 gt3s at the track because most will be boulevard cruising! I hope those guys lining up for their first GT3 on this forum prove me wrong...

Ps. I don't see many of the guys whom post here daily about their current cars posting their excitment about the new car... Heaps more dissatisfaction then excitement amogst the regulars from what I'm seeing
Old 03-07-2013, 11:13 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
A good proportion of those buying them in the past were repeat customers whom used them as intended... On the track dispite noise, harsh ride, heavy clutch etc etc...

Those excited about the new gt3 seem to be all those guys whom found them too "hardcore"... Thus why I'm seeing guys posting their excitment yet wishing they could get 4 seat options or wing deletes.... Wtf! Its a GT3! what are the carreras there for?

Whilst I hope it won't be the case, I'm pretty sure in 12 months time I won't be seeing many 991 gt3s at the track because most will be boulevard cruising! I hope those guys lining up for their first GT3 on this forum prove me wrong...

Ps. I don't see many of the guys whom post here daily about their current cars posting their excitment about the new car... Heaps more dissatisfaction then excitement amogst the regulars from what I'm seeing
I have to admit, I am really torn. At the 150k price point, I can get either a GT3 or a very nicely optioned C4S with a powerkit. I want to have both. Realistically I can't do that. So then the decision comes down to how much track time do I want to do, how much can I do and not be fired from work? How badly do I want to drive it in winter? I live in Minnesota, we get real winters here. Part of the appeal of a C4S for me is I could realistically drive it, and enjoy it, year round. A GT3 has not been the best car to have as a DD, IMO. The new one may be a slight bit more useful as a DD, time and a drive in it will tell. My gut tells me it will not be as soft as some here think. It probably would not like winter so much.

DO I want a GT3? Hell yes, maybe even an RS. Is it practical for me right now? Maybe, maybe not...

edit: yes, I can heel toe, and I still am pretty sure the PDK would make me faster.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:25 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJay
I have to admit, I am really torn. At the 150k price point, I can get either a GT3 or a very nicely optioned C4S with a powerkit. I want to have both. Realistically I can't do that. So then the decision comes down to how much track time do I want to do, how much can I do and not be fired from work? How badly do I want to drive it in winter? I live in Minnesota, we get real winters here. Part of the appeal of a C4S for me is I could realistically drive it, and enjoy it, year round. A GT3 has not been the best car to have as a DD, IMO. The new one may be a slight bit more useful as a DD, time and a drive in it will tell. My gut tells me it will not be as soft as some here think. It probably would not like winter so much.

DO I want a GT3? Hell yes, maybe even an RS. Is it practical for me right now? Maybe, maybe not...

edit: yes, I can heel toe, and I still am pretty sure the PDK would make me faster.
Get the GT3. It's going to be a much better daily driver than the current one and plenty exciting. Don't settle for the C4S if you want a GT3. On the other hand, don't bother with an RS unless you really plan to track the car seriously. It's just not worth it on multiple levels.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:55 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DrJay

From a resale and feel point of view, I'd be taking a GT3 anyday... No chance of a C4S giving you the same feel, feedback or satisfaction... With all the aids, the gt3 will be just as drivable in the wet as a C4S too... Don't seem to have any issue doing wet trackdays in mine and its very civil in the wet on the right tyres (MPSS)...

Ps. Never any doubt about any of us being faster in a pdk, the argument has been over what we get greater appreciation from in driving
Old 03-08-2013, 09:32 AM
equiraptor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With all the aids, the gt3 will be just as drivable in the wet as a C4S too... Don't seem to have any issue doing wet trackdays in mine and its very civil in the wet on the right tyres (MPSS)...
Agreed, wet isn't a concern for me in the GT3 unless the tires it's on aren't suited for wet driving. It seems many forget that with more feedback from the car, the driver has more information to use in controlling the car and managing the traction. So while the GT3 may be more sensitive to driver inputs than other 911s, it also provides the driver with more tools to understand which inputs it needs to give the desired behavior. This does take driver skill, though, so if in doubt, do some skidpad work, some track days, etc. You can always start this before buying the GT3, too...
Old 03-08-2013, 11:51 AM
MGW
Intermediate

i think the whole argument over PDK and manual sticks is just moot because it doesnt matter which car is faster or which technology makes a better track or street car.

the last word is always going to be customer preference.

i dont care if a guy in a PDK car with equal driving skills is out on the track and posting faster laps times . i want a car that "I" enjoy and gives me that "FEELING" i want when i get done a stressful week or month at work and need to blow some off ripping down my local track in my stick shift toy.

lets face it...less than 1 percent ( if not less) of ALL the people on this board are NOT professional race car drivers and really the only thing that should matter to you guys is how YOU are progressing as a driver.

i shoot guns for hobby. i strive to be a better marksman. i could easily hit more targets choosing a bazooka or shotgun as opposed to a 9m or .223 but that will not make me a better shooter.

in the end i am comfortable with knowing that maybe a PDK rear wheel steering car with electric steering will be a faster tool but i am looking for a fun car for ME!!! so to the classifieds for a gt3 4.0 or gt3rs i go.....

george
Old 03-08-2013, 12:08 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I wish this car was available here.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:17 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jumper5836
This is one awesome car!
Old 03-08-2013, 02:24 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

In a perfect world the it would be nice to have a pdk with a clutch pedal and H-pattern gear shifter. With a button on the dash to disengage pdk and switch it to manual.
Sorta how my simulation steering wheel does.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:24 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

My experience from here is the opposite. Repeat customers, track junkies and even Porsche Cup drivers who are excited about the new car. Don't know anyone here who owns a GT3 for the daily Starbucks drive.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:17 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

It is, but it is not street legal...
Old 03-08-2013, 04:21 PM
ScorpionT
Instructor

That was my thought as well. The true track nuts are very unhappy with the new car.

The front end is interesting, but I hate the fact that it has ESP, TC, and (optional) paddle shifters. Lotus has always been about keeping things simple and lightweight, while this car has more addons and nanny features and even more weight. I can tolerate the extra weight because the powertrain is much better, but get rid of the other crap. The Exige is so well balanced a good driver doesnt need the extras.

Im also very curious as to why the US safety regulations are keeping the car from being registered on the street. We really need to stop allowing clueless lawmakers impose safety regulations on things they have no clue about.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:26 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Wet roads? Y'all crack me up...

How about roads with 6 inches of snow on top of ice. Slushy mounds in every intersection. Or just roads covered in ice... How about driving into work, the roads are dry and clear, the sun is out, the temp is -10... you come out at the end of a brutal shift at the hospital to find it has snowed and there is no way on earth a GT3 is a very good snow plow. By the way, I have been stuck downtown before in the 997 due to snow. I had to get a hotel and spend the night downtown, could not make it home. The snow was higher than the front of the car. Now, that was a situation where even my Jeep would not have gotten me home either, but wet roads are the least of my concerns...
Old 03-08-2013, 06:32 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Here is an image of the day after the above referenced snowstorm, before I left downtown to get home...

Old 03-08-2013, 07:23 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Anything that a C4S is capable of driving through, a GT3 can drive through too... Recently they showed photos of it being winter tested in snow... A C4S won't cope with 6" of snow either so you may want to add a 4x4 to the garage and use it when forecast for weather like that above

Quick Reply: So you want a manual transmission?