So you want a manual transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 07:09 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Aero, and almost 150 lbs lighter.
Also, nobody actually knows yet whether or not it is faster than the old RS...
Old 03-06-2013, 07:28 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
BBi (custom shop in huntington beach) has already put a GT3 engine in a cayman. transmission was the fun part
I've heard it's been done/difficult and I'd imagine pretty expensive with Mezger engine and the modifications that would need to be done. This combo would seem to look a bit more plug and play and hopefully not unrealistically expensive.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:39 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Porsche is playing catchup, and playing it poorly (although not from a financial standpoint). The 996 and 997 GT3's were on par if not ahead of the Corvette's, Vipers etc. of the time. You had a tough time finding a car that was faster. Jump ahead to 991 and they are releasing a car slower than the previous generation of those cars as well as being only slightly faster than Mustangs and Camaro's now.

The problem is the marriage to 6 cylinders.

What we see here is SPEED (not technology) moving faster than Porsche can keep up with. What happens when you are behind the competition and handicapped? You throw in some gimmicks. You can blame the rear engine all you want, but I don't see any non force fed 6 cylinders at the front of the pack. On the street, or on the track.

Porsche needs to wake up. NA 6 cylinders aren't going to cut in in 2013 and beyond. And all the P-gadgets in the world won't fix it. So guess what, you get a 2013 GT3 with lots of gadgets that's still slower than C6, R35, Gen IV etc.
They could do it with 6 cylinders if they weren't hellbent on leaving enough room for the RS, for the facelifted models, for market segmenting, etc.

This new engine should be good for displacement above 4.0 liters even in 6 cylinder form. At 125 hp/liter (475/3.8, same as 500/4.0), let's assume it's good for 525 hp at 4.2 liters. Dump some more weight - sound deadening, composite panels, lighter exhaust, and they're there on performance. But that doesn't address other shortcomings. The old cars had three key attributes that the new ones don't:

1 - Legitimate, tangible link to a successful racing car (chassis, engine, transmission)
2 - Emphasis on driving feel and overall experience
3 - Performance that was within the ball park of its competitors - both exotics and track cars
Old 03-06-2013, 07:54 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

The steering feel in a 991 C2S is dead. I assume its better in a GT3. Not as good a say a 996GT3 and anything between that and a 4.0 but not total garbage like in the 991C2S.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:24 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJay
Are we reading the same forum?
Clearly not. Speed is what the pdk people are saying is all that matters. Manual guys are saying speed is not the end all when you have to sacrifice most of what makes the diving enjoyable and challenging.

I don't see how this is not clear.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:26 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Clearly not. Speed is what the pdk people are saying is all that matters. Manual guys are saying speed is not the end all when you have to sacrifice most of what makes the diving enjoyable and challenging.

I don't see how this is not clear.
so you agree with me? Good...

I swear to god you guys must be giving that poor German engineer fits wondering why we don't want a faster track car...
Old 03-06-2013, 09:44 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Faster, great. But it’s also about the level of involvement you want and everyone determines that for themselves. They have eliminated shifting from the equation. What’s next, accelerating, braking, steering? One day you might be be able to program your car for any track and just be a passenger, but you’ll have the fastest lap time. Will any enjoyment be derived from that?
Old 03-06-2013, 09:58 PM
kosmo
Race Director

When is the new cayman rs 4.0 6spd coming????
Old 03-06-2013, 10:01 PM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
The steering feel in a 991 C2S is dead. I assume its better in a GT3. Not as good a say a 996GT3 and anything between that and a 4.0 but not total garbage like in the 991C2S.
The 991 steering has plenty of feel, but it's different. They don't transmit the noise, and whatever they choose to define as "unhelpful" signals. Given access to the software, I could probably code a subroutine to introduce noise into the system and fake the behavior of the hydraulic system well enough so you wouldn't know the difference. Their new code probably amplifies and transmits a lot more of the small signals.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:19 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kosmo
When is the new cayman rs 4.0 6spd coming????
I believe that will be a build it yourself model from the parts bin.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:27 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by zanwar
The 991 steering has plenty of feel, but it's different. They don't transmit the noise, and whatever they choose to define as "unhelpful" signals. Given access to the software, I could probably code a subroutine to introduce noise into the system and fake the behavior of the hydraulic system well enough so you wouldn't know the difference. Their new code probably amplifies and transmits a lot more of the small signals.
Not the one I drove did'nt.
But you are kidding
Old 03-06-2013, 10:39 PM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Not the one I drove did'nt.
But you are kidding
It felt a lot like the (hydraulic) steering in the Maser. But perhaps they gave you one with a flat front tire? Let me know when your 991 GT3 shows up, and we'll see if we can hack it. I'd start by attaching one of these to the steering column

http://www.skymall.com/shopping/deta...ontent=Default
Old 03-06-2013, 11:09 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJay
so you agree with me? Good...

I swear to god you guys must be giving that poor German engineer fits wondering why we don't want a faster track car...
No, I don't.

We want a car that requires talent to go fast in. No talent / No fast. The German engineer is wondering why the drivers are so bad that he has to put in all of these extra hours inventing programs and controls so people can turn a decent time when all it takes is a little talent/commitment/skill/craft.

He's wondering when Porsche started building GTR's.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:30 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Porsche is playing catchup, and playing it poorly (although not from a financial standpoint). The 996 and 997 GT3's were on par if not ahead of the Corvette's, Vipers etc. of the time. You had a tough time finding a car that was faster. Jump ahead to 991 and they are releasing a car slower than the previous generation of those cars as well as being only slightly faster than Mustangs and Camaro's now.

The problem is the marriage to 6 cylinders.

What we see here is SPEED (not technology) moving faster than Porsche can keep up with. What happens when you are behind the competition and handicapped? You throw in some gimmicks. You can blame the rear engine all you want, but I don't see any non force fed 6 cylinders at the front of the pack. On the street, or on the track.

Porsche needs to wake up. NA 6 cylinders aren't going to cut in in 2013 and beyond. And all the P-gadgets in the world won't fix it. So guess what, you get a 2013 GT3 with lots of gadgets that's still slower than C6, R35, Gen IV etc.
this is true.... it is going to be hard to stay on top of the competition with a 6cly.
Unless it is turbo charged 6cyl, a 8cly will need to come into play which i think is in the cards from what i read.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:04 AM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe S.
And then you would have a Cayman.

Now it seems it won't be too difficult to put a GT3 motor in a Cayman. Can't wait to see someone do this and see what the Cayman can do! And with no CL's or rear wheel steering!
Agreed. This is a very intriguing prospect. A few high-end shops managed to retrofit a Mezger into a Cayman, but given the 9A1-derived case used by the new GT3 motor, it seems this type of swap would be more doable now than ever before. A modestly lightened Cayman could be much lighter than the new GT3, with mid-engine balance to boot. Add a track-focused suspension, a little extra aero, drop in the new 9000-RPM, 475HP GT3 motor, and it seems you’d have something VERY fun to drive. Perhaps more fun than the new GT3 itself. I’m sure it would still cost a fortune to source the new motor, but if it can be done without major fitment or wiring harness compatibility impediments, you know it’s going to happen.

Quick Reply: So you want a manual transmission?