991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So you want a manual transmission?

Old 03-06-2013, 02:03 AM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Default So you want a manual transmission?

Why not get a 991 S with the Powerkit and a 7 speed Manual? Sport PASM and PDCC and you're off to the races with a near perfect car to enjoy the manual transmission 99% on the street and 1% on the track...

IMO the regular 991 S and 4S is a much better street car than the GT versions. The GT3 is so track oriented they gave it a special PDK transmission to make it faster ON THE TRACK.

If it makes you feel better, rip out the back seats.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:29 AM
beowulf
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 03-06-2013, 07:30 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Or the wannabes could just buy the 991S with powerkit and a pdk and call it a day too... Depends on how you look at it... Nobody has suggested that pdk doesn't belong in a GT3, just that it shouldn't be the only box after 14 years as a manual and with such a strong following preferring the option...

FYI, if pdks are fasest, why is the 4.0 RS faster around the NBR with its slow 6 speed? It only has a 25hp advantage yet carries disadvantages in chassis and transmission according to you... Or are we just hoping to win the traffic light drag races with tech loaded wannabe GT3s?... Maybe they can throw in seat warmers as it can get cold at the track too???....

Last edited by 911rox; 03-06-2013 at 07:49 AM.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:26 AM
James Herne
Instructor

Originally Posted by DrJay
I think the rear seats are really valuable for people who have friends and/or family. The 991 GT3 is not a lightweight car and I think it should be 4-seater in non-CS form and 2-seater if Clubsport pack is ordered. 4 seats don't go together with GT3, but the new car isn't a spartan 911, so it is really hard to understand the ifference between 991 S WLS and 991 GT3. OK, there is a difference, the GT3 has less seats and is heavier. Go figure.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:38 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

The engines are not the same. The GT3 has forged aluminum pistons and titanium connecting rods. It revs higher. The hp difference is wide enough. There is also a lot of things standard on the GT3 like dynamic engine mounts and other things.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:11 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 911rox
Or the wannabes could just buy the 991S with powerkit and a pdk and call it a day too... Depends on how you look at it... Nobody has suggested that pdk doesn't belong in a GT3, just that it shouldn't be the only box after 14 years as a manual and with such a strong following preferring the option...

FYI, if pdks are fasest, why is the 4.0 RS faster around the NBR with its slow 6 speed? It only has a 25hp advantage yet carries disadvantages in chassis and transmission according to you... Or are we just hoping to win the traffic light drag races with tech loaded wannabe GT3s?... Maybe they can throw in seat warmers as it can get cold at the track too???....
I am not saying which is faster or slower, or who the wannabes are or are not. I am simply saying that there is a manual transmission available in a 911 that will satisfy those who want it. I am also saying that as we are all aware, Porsche is a German company and therefore they think like Germans. I bet there is an engineer in Germany right now reading this and wondering why anyone would want a slower track car. He looks at it and says exactly what I just said. There is a manual transmission option available for those who want to enjoy the thrill of doing it themselves on the street, where these cars will spend most of their lives. Then, there is the GT3 oriented to be a track car, optimized to be used on the track with a special PDK box that shifts faster than a person and makes the car faster, for the track. Notice, one is for the track, and one is for the street. If you think about it logically, like a German, it makes perfect sense. At least to me.

Do you have official times on the new GT3? All I have seen is "under 7:30" not an exact official time.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:12 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jumper5836
The engines are not the same. The GT3 has forged aluminum pistons and titanium connecting rods. It revs higher. The hp difference is wide enough. There is also a lot of things standard on the GT3 like dynamic engine mounts and other things.
I know that. Dynamic engine mounts are also part of the Powerkit option.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:13 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by James Herne
I think the rear seats are really valuable for people who have friends and/or family. The 991 GT3 is not a lightweight car and I think it should be 4-seater in non-CS form and 2-seater if Clubsport pack is ordered. 4 seats don't go together with GT3, but the new car isn't a spartan 911, so it is really hard to understand the ifference between 991 S WLS and 991 GT3. OK, there is a difference, the GT3 has less seats and is heavier. Go figure.
I find them useless in my 997, and will also be useless in the 991. If it were me, even though it would **** off a lot of people, I would get rid of them entirely and move the engine forward...
Old 03-06-2013, 03:38 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would get rid of them entirely and move the engine forward...
And then you would have a Cayman.

Now it seems it won't be too difficult to put a GT3 motor in a Cayman. Can't wait to see someone do this and see what the Cayman can do! And with no CL's or rear wheel steering!
Old 03-06-2013, 03:51 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I know that. Dynamic engine mounts are also part of the Powerkit option.
Ok I noticed that now, as well it included sports chrono and sport exhaust. Once you add the alcantera bits it basically the same price as the GT3.

Downside
narrower track
engine not as strong as GT3
rev range
45 hp less

upside
5 lug wheels
lighter weight by 75 lbs
rear seats can be removed -15 lbs?
Old 03-06-2013, 04:11 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 912 Posts

Why not get a 991 S with the Powerkit and a 7 speed Manual? Sport PASM and PDCC and you're off to the races with a near perfect car to enjoy the manual transmission 99% on the street and 1% on the track...

IMO the regular 991 S and 4S is a much better street car than the GT versions. The GT3 is so track oriented they gave it a special PDK transmission to make it faster ON THE TRACK.

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Agree with Jumper. Don't see this as an obvious substitute.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:14 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nizer
Agree with Jumper. Don't see this as an obvious substitute.
It is not intended to be a substitute either.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:30 PM
ScorpionT
Instructor

Better on the street is really a matter of opinion. Would the S have more creature comforts and things to make it comfortable? Sure. To me, that doesnt make it a better street car. I want something pared down and more hardcore, I want it to be a more interesting car to drive. 99% of the time I dont need all the extra features, I just want to enjoy what Im driving.

The new GT3 just doesnt cut it for me, and Im not the only one in the boat.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:35 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ScorpionT
The new GT3 just doesnt cut it for me, and Im not the only one in the boat.
But how do you know that? Have you driven the new GT3?
Old 03-06-2013, 04:35 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I am not saying which is faster or slower, or who the wannabes are or are not. I am simply saying that there is a manual transmission available in a 911 that will satisfy those who want it. I am also saying that as we are all aware, Porsche is a German company and therefore they think like Germans. I bet there is an engineer in Germany right now reading this and wondering why anyone would want a slower track car. He looks at it and says exactly what I just said. There is a manual transmission option available for those who want to enjoy the thrill of doing it themselves on the street, where these cars will spend most of their lives. Then, there is the GT3 oriented to be a track car, optimized to be used on the track with a special PDK box that shifts faster than a person and makes the car faster, for the track. Notice, one is for the track, and one is for the street. If you think about it logically, like a German, it makes perfect sense. At least to me.

Do you have official times on the new GT3? All I have seen is "under 7:30" not an exact official time.
Originally Posted by 911rox

I had already answered your question with regards to the german engineer! The 991S isn't track focussed so why would guys buying track cars buy it?

As for the laptime, even at 7.27sec, the 991 is just matching the old 4.0rs dispite pdk and new, improved chassis... So what have they achieved other than to cut the cost of manufacturing and charge the customer an extra 15%???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So you want a manual transmission?