Notices
991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Sponsored by:

So you want a manual transmission?

Old 03-08-2013, 08:24 PM
jumper5836
Super User

Originally Posted by ScorpionT View Post
That was my thought as well. The true track nuts are very unhappy with the new car.

The front end is interesting, but I hate the fact that it has ESP, TC, and (optional) paddle shifters. Lotus has always been about keeping things simple and lightweight, while this car has more addons and nanny features and even more weight. I can tolerate the extra weight because the powertrain is much better, but get rid of the other crap. The Exige is so well balanced a good driver doesnt need the extras.

Im also very curious as to why the US safety regulations are keeping the car from being registered on the street. We really need to stop allowing clueless lawmakers impose safety regulations on things they have no clue about.
It's like 300 kg less then a 991 GT3, it comes manual and the assists can be turned off. Thats I'll I wanted from the GT3.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:02 PM
paver
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StirlingMoss View Post
My experience from here is the opposite. Repeat customers, track junkies and even Porsche Cup drivers who are excited about the new car. Don't know anyone here who owns a GT3 for the daily Starbucks drive.
Current owner/track junkie not interested in it. The new engine and the pdk don't bother me so much, that is as long as they would hold up lap after lap. I think the PDK would be fun. BTW, one of the most impressive things about my 997.2 Gt3 is that it just keeps going and going on the track.

I won't buy a 991 GT3 though because of the increased weight and complexity. I think the interior is reallly ugly. The apparent snub of the US by not offering sport buckets. The 20" wheels. The cheesy marketing (which seems to be as important as the actual makeup of the car itself). And CL's.

If they revamped the CL's that's good, but a revamp means if Porsche have any integrity at all, I mean any, they will make it right it with the 997 CL owners. It seems like prospective buyers who haven't previously owned a GT3 would be especially concerned about this issue. Porsche has certainly betrayed the 2010 GT3 owners. And I suspect in the very near future, the ridiculous hub/bearing/bearing housing/central lock bolt replacement schedule will be imposed on all the CL's currently out there.

The way they have mishandled the CL mess is enough to turn your stomach especially when we continue to hear the "derived from motorsport, racetrack ready" marketing BS.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:55 PM
DrJay
User

Originally Posted by 911rox View Post
Anything that a C4S is capable of driving through, a GT3 can drive through too... Recently they showed photos of it being winter tested in snow... A C4S won't cope with 6" of snow either so you may want to add a 4x4 to the garage and use it when forecast for weather like that above
I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:01 AM
911rox
Addict
Rennlist Member

And thus no problem! If there is a forecast for stormy weather or snow, either Porsche will have to stay home unless you plow snow for a living
Old 03-09-2013, 02:15 AM
jumper5836
Super User

And thus no problem! If there is a forecast for stormy weather or snow, either Porsche will have to stay home unless you plow snow for a living
My C4S makes a great snow plow, never a problem unless the snow banks are plagued with ice chunks. It's like any other regular car out there but it has way more ability under the same snow conditions. Once snow height conditions are to high for normal cars then it will also suffer. The C4S has rust protection. The GT3 doesn't.

Old 03-09-2013, 02:45 AM
DrJay
User

I had a 997 C4S, it goes like a hot knife through snow. Unless, like I said above, the snow is higher than the front of the car.

I had no idea the GT3 has no rust protection... That pretty much rules it out for any winter time driving.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:46 AM
DrJay
User

I think you may be under estimating the abilities of the C4S in snow.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:01 PM
911dev
Super User

Originally Posted by DrJay View Post
I find them useless in my 997, and will also be useless in the 991. If it were me, even though it would **** off a lot of people, I would get rid of them entirely and move the engine forward...
Why do you find them useless? Any data of an evidentiary nature?

991S w/ blah, blah and blah... still will not be in the same league as a 991 gt3

The resale value will drop like a stone in water on a 991S equipped like you say
Old 03-10-2013, 08:26 PM
DrJay
User

Originally Posted by 911dev View Post
Why do you find them useless? Any data of an evidentiary nature?

991S w/ blah, blah and blah... still will not be in the same league as a 991 gt3

The resale value will drop like a stone in water on a 991S equipped like you say
Owning one is not data of an evidentiary value? No adult I am aware of will fit in there unless they are missing both legs or sit sideways...

So, I am not buying the car for the next person, or to sell in a year.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:49 PM
911dev
Super User

Originally Posted by DrJay View Post
Owning one is not data of an evidentiary value? No adult I am aware of will fit in there unless they are missing both legs or sit sideways...

So, I am not buying the car for the next person, or to sell in a year.
I have use for them either. My bad. I thought you were referring to dynamic engine mounts, which was mentioned in the thread above yours. I read that way too fast. Sorry.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:55 PM
uhn2000
Addict
Rennlist Member

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So you want a manual transmission?

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: