Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   Is there any way to have a GT3 with a more discreet wing? /flamesuit=on (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/744021-is-there-any-way-to-have-a-gt3-with-a-more-discreet-wing-flamesuit-on.html)

SinVancouver 03-05-2013 06:27 PM

Is there any way to have a GT3 with a more discreet wing? /flamesuit=on

I have come so close to pulling the trigger on a GT3 for the last 2 gens and this gen really has me jonesing.

My only thing is I can't do the wing... I want to drive this car a lot, and the wing ends up being so conspicuous. I get why its there and on the track I love it... I would even be fine with swapping rear decks for track days.. but in order to drive this car as much as I want to the wing has to go..

Has there ever been any options, factory or aftermarket that let you put a lower profile wing on the back? Even like a nice RS/Duck style would be great...

Sigh.. tough problem to have lol...

:corn::corn::corn::corn:

consolidated 03-05-2013 07:40 PM

I will say you get used to it, then can't live w/o it.

GrantG 03-05-2013 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by SinVancouver (Post 10276171)
I have come so close to pulling the trigger on a GT3 for the last 2 gens and this gen really has me jonesing.

My only thing is I can't do the wing... I want to drive this car a lot, and the wing ends up being so conspicuous.

There will be a 50th Anniversary 911 coming late this year (or early next year) that is rumored to have a ducktail rear spoiler (like 997 Sport Classic) and a GT3 motor, if that interests you.

axhoaxho 03-05-2013 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by GrantG (Post 10276654)
There will be a 50th Anniversary 911 coming late this year (or early next year) that is rumored to have a ducktail rear spoiler (like 997 Sport Classic) and a GT3 motor, if that interests you.

This is the first time I hear this, thanks for sharing.

A 50th Anniversary 911 with 991 GT3 motor!? That is something special. Hope Porsche will bring it to the US if true. :jumper:

10 GT3 03-05-2013 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by SinVancouver (Post 10276171)

My only thing is I can't do the wing... I want to drive this car a lot, and the wing ends up being so conspicuous. I get why its there and on the track I love it... I would even be fine with swapping rear decks for track days.. but in order to drive this car as much as I want to the wing has to go..

Has there ever been any options, factory or aftermarket that let you put a lower profile wing on the back? Even like a nice RS/Duck style would be great...

Sigh.. tough problem to have lol...

:corn::corn::corn::corn:

Don't understand the issue here? I think this wing will be very conservative compared to what will be coming out on the poser version (known as the RS) that will surely be following.

Mike in CA 03-05-2013 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by GrantG (Post 10276654)

That doesn't sound right. Source of the rumor?

axhoaxho 03-05-2013 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mike in CA (Post 10276891)
That doesn't sound right. Source of the rumor?

It actually can be possible... may be not 100% the exact GT3 engine, but a little milder version of it (to keep the GT3 special.)

GrantG 03-05-2013 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by axhoaxho (Post 10276945)
It actually can be possible... may be not 100% the exact GT3 engine, but a little milder version of it (to keep the GT3 special.)

Yes, I think the only reason that the Sport Classic didn't also have a GT3 motor is that they wanted to offer PDK which was not compatible with Mezger.

tcsracing1 03-05-2013 11:06 PM

you should be able to duck tail it. Great for city use.

for track it would be cool to have the 991 Cup wing.

Mike in CA 03-05-2013 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by axhoaxho (Post 10276945)

Originally Posted by GrantG (Post 10276975)
Yes, I think the only reason that the Sport Classic didn't also have a GT3 motor is that they wanted to offer PDK which was not compatible with Mezger.

So again, is there a published or credible source for this rumor, or are you guys just spitballing? ;)

GrantG 03-05-2013 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mike in CA (Post 10277071)
So again, is there a published or credible source for this rumor, or are you guys just spitballing? ;)

Mike - the GT3 motor rumor is something I read, but I don't remember the source. My guess is the 50th might be released in Frankfurt in Sept - 50 years after 901.

uhn2000 03-06-2013 01:43 AM

Same here, would love one without that massive wing! Sorry I know its a performance thing but would be a cool option to give us.

911Jetta 03-06-2013 10:40 AM

GT3 with a duck would look great. The wing looks silly on the road...

MaxLTV 03-06-2013 01:01 PM

Sorry, I cannot help with advice on wing removal, but I hope I can make someone feel better about having it. This car is an expression of your passion for motorsport, so it's just not meant to be subdued. It's meant for brighter colors (or aggressive black/white), louder sounds, bigger wings, even stickers. There is nothing wrong with expressing your passion.

Skiers and cyclists are not shy to drive with ski/bike racks on their cars even without bikes on, and put stickers of the places they rode and races they participated in (some even wear cycling outfits when not cycling, but IMHO that would be like walking around dressed as the STIG). Pilots & sailors express their passion via stylized jackets, polos and watches. Even Yoga people find ways to express their passion for their, rather quiet, hobby and are not shy to do it.

Why should we feel the need to hide our passion and make our cars look more like grey-colored neutrally-shaped household appliances? I guess it's the Fast & Furious kids that ruined it for us...

SinVancouver 03-06-2013 01:13 PM

Thanks for the tips.. it really is just a visibility thing. I drive a lot for both work and play, the wing just puts the car over the top visibility wise. For clients, for site visits and so on. Having driven the previous gens I know I want a GT3 over say a well optioned C2S or Turbo but to make it work and fit my lifestyle the wing would makes it a special occasion car and I don't want that...

Fingers crossed for a nice carbon aftermarket deck and duck :)

Sin.