991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where's Rad?

Old 03-06-2013, 08:38 AM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apparently the 993 wasn't really the involving drivers car everyone remembered being. CAR test drove every 911 model from the beginning a few issues ago and the 993 didn't get a good rating. The 964 was the show stopper and believe it or not the 996 was also up there too.

S
Old 03-06-2013, 08:38 AM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Sebring is destructive. The super soft sprung Aero Beetles do not survive Sebring either. Lots of blown engines and transmissions on 3.8 aero beetles in the past 2 years with nowhere near my track miles in the fiat, and two 4.0rs with kaboom engines too.

Fiat has broken just twice on its f1 transmission components, the newer dct in the 458 is longer lasting but it lost its soul, i would rather fix the f1 system every 3 years, than live with the soul-less tranny in the 458, new r8, and the 991 aero beetle.

Only weak part in fiat is lack of brake cooling, easy fix.

I do a lot of drag racing, autocross, these two activities eat axles, drivetrain mounts, suspension bushings, and kill transmissions, clutches, diff, yet the Fiat still is on the original clutch, tranny, diff and engine.

Aero Beetles break much more with my use, i had two of them and they broke too often. The 997.2 is the less reliable of all.

Fortunately, the 991 aero beetle wannabe will be a much more reliable car, faster too, good looking, and given the base price, it is the best equipped Carrera S wide body.

$131k is a bargain.

This is the one true win for the 991 GT3
Price a Carrera S with powerkit (still not 475 hp), aerokit and PASM...you'll be north of $131k.

wsh
Old 03-06-2013, 10:39 AM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

Fiat has broken just twice on its f1 transmission components, the newer dct in the 458 is longer lasting but it lost its soul, i would rather fix the f1 system every 3 years, than live with the soul-less tranny in the 458, new r8, and the 991 aero beetle.

I do a lot of drag racing, autocross, these two activities eat axles, drivetrain mounts, suspension bushings, and kill transmissions, clutches, diff, yet the Fiat still is on the original clutch, tranny, diff and engine.

Aero Beetles break much more with my use, i had two of them and they broke too often. The 997.2 is the less reliable of all.
LOL- if the number of Scud owners tracked their cars to the extent that GT3 owners do, the track would be a Fiat wasteland.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:39 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Why is VW adding GT3 badges to a 991 Carrera S with a bodykit and a powerkit?
A provocative and not quite reality based question. You should at least admit that with a dry sump, crank, con rods, pistons, valve train, cylinder heads, fuel injection system, exhaust, 75 more HP and a redline at 9K, all of which differ from the normal 991 Carrera S, it''s a helluva powerkit.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:44 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RR
Apparently the 993 wasn't really the involving drivers car everyone remembered being. CAR test drove every 911 model from the beginning a few issues ago and the 993 didn't get a good rating. The 964 was the show stopper and believe it or not the 996 was also up there too.

S
Switch out the 993's junk US model suspension and it's a different story.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:15 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by scott40
LOL- if the number of Scud owners tracked their cars to the extent that GT3 owners do, the track would be a Fiat wasteland.
Really? Why would Rad or me choose to drive a Scud at the track, having owned many GT Porsche cars before (nad we can still buy one for a fraction of the Scud price)?

As for Sebring, yes I do know a bit my way around the track, and only to scheduled to have around 20 hrs of tracktime there next week.

The 991 is on paper a great car and as Rad points out the value it brings at a cost of $131k is amazing. I'm just dissapointed of so much whinning and rant in this board just because it is a proper modern (with adequate technology) car that can hold its own at the track. And all those comments on "feel" without having driven the car at all are just plain BS (applies to comments in the Scud without having driven one either...)

as for Porsche GT cars and Cup cars: The great thing about the Porsche Cup is its value. its the only real racecar that is mas produced, and hat has allowed Porsche to make it commercailly viable to have a GT3 version for the street that shares a lot of components with the Cup Car. The Porsche GT3 Cup is the Ford Model T of racecars. you get a lot of racecar for what it costs, but by no means is the best racecar out there. Not even if you scale it up to GTE (fka GT2) level (Porsche RSR), other manufacturers cars are equivalent or better at that cost. Just drive both (Porsche vs Ferrari, or vs Merc or BMW at FiA GT3 levels) and you will see there are massive differences and the Porsche felt clearly dated.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:23 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,714 Likes on 910 Posts

Sebring is destructive. The super soft sprung Aero Beetles do not survive Sebring either. Lots of blown engines and transmissions on 3.8 aero beetles in the past 2 years with nowhere near my track miles in the fiat, and two 4.0rs with kaboom engines too.

Fortunately, the 991 aero beetle wannabe will be a much more reliable car, faster too, good looking, and given the base price, it is the best equipped Carrera S wide body.

$131k is a bargain.
I agree with Rad; in the world of Stupidcars $131k is a relative bargain, though most will be hard pressed to get out the door for anything below $160k when all is said and done. Then again, buddy just took delivery of new Fiat California with a few options - almost $300k out the door.

Originally Posted by RR

S
Hasn't kept 993 values from rising.

Had a chance to buy this same spec about three years back for $65k:
http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/...s/1525512.html

Care to guess the ask on this one?
http://sloancars.com/3147/1995-993-c...k-30900-miles/

Personally think Porsche has given 997 GT3/RS owners a gift by breaking the direct connection between GT3 street and race cars. My guess, values for the best examples (low mile 3.8 and 4.0 RS) could decline for a period but then hold steady and rise. High probability the 4.0s never drop at all. Even post the 991 GT3 release there are zero 4.0's on Cars.com and Porsche.com sites and only two 3.8 RS's. Will more show up when deliveries start? Sure. But don't expect a market flood and we won't know the final verdict for 10ish years.

Of course all the above gets reset if the Fed takes the punchbowl away.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:33 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 151 Posts

I wouldn't run out and sell my RS if I loved it. At he end of the 3.8RS run they sat for awhile on showroom floors. So I guess we will see.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:17 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CAR magazine is British they tested euro models not US models.

People just over emphasized the "fantasticness" of the 993 in 1998/99 since it was the last air cooled model and conversely treated the 996 as the bastard son.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:31 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RR

S
Autocar (UK based) did the same drive. The clip is on YouTube. The 993 got very good rating

Tells you how subjective and individual the term "involving" is.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:43 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,583 Likes on 732 Posts

LaFiat !!!

A wannabe GT3 is not interesting at all. Nothing special.

Lots of Scuderia wannabe features in this new VW: getting neutral by pulling both flappy paddles, e-diff, multiple stability control settings, and 100ms gear shifts (not yet the 60ms in my Fiat).

The only awesome feature is the standard VTS (Vehicle Tracking System), so now VW can void your warranty automatically, by using the GPS coordinates of every single racetrack and autoX lot around the World.

In the meantime, GM is preparing a track day event at Sebring to present the C7, and I'm going.
Agreed, I doubt it will hold up, probably better than a Fiat, but we will see.
997 break also, just less and cheaper to fix than the rest.
When is the Corvette day? How do I get on the list, I will go also!!

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
The 4.0L is indeed the next 993RS in terms of value thanks to being the last of the manual tranny motorsport derived 911s. A true drivers car for weekend blasts, cars n coffee etc...
Agreed.

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
I don't blame you to like racing more than DE or anything else, but my point is that either you don't track your Scuderia, or you most likely cruise around, because they don't last full session at Sebring.
My point is, that even feeling great, you can't track a car that doesn't last. Same as the GTR, fast ... in this case no feel, and not track worthy around here.
Your point was also to say that the Cup steering system is 'similar' than the 991GT3, when they have nothing similar, besides being a steering system.
I'm not the one to say that the car is crappy before I drove it. That's why I ordered one, but does the specs look amazing ??? Hell No !
The stupid flappy pedals suck in my opinion, and that's why this won't be my main track car, don't even know if I'll like it or not, but I see it as a street car more than a track car now.
If It goes thru 3 weekends at Sebring in the summer without flaws, most likely I'll keep it.
Same as the Chevy .... if it survives, It will probably be the car to have for DE guys.
Unfortunately my pockets are not deep enough to Race a Cup. Buying the car and driving is the easiest part.
+1!! Well said.

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
LOL
Much better

( And that's probably how a moderator gets his first infraction for subtle trolling.

Let's hope that Bob's still busy moving threads to the new forum. )
LOL, I have limited time, so I must choose my entertainment carefully. RL still #1. VR also thanks

Originally Posted by wanna911
I will be very interested in your feedback on your 991.
+1 We're double testing, instead of both getting one after the other Eddie and I are going to see what dies first; The Corvette that I will buy or Eddie's 991 GT3. We're both reasonably fast, both very gently on equipment and well its Sebring. So it should be a good test..

$131k is a bargain.
997's break yes, some manufacturing problems, but once that is repaired you can run them weekend after weekend full sessions at top speed, not like Fiats, Corvette's and GTR's that need coold down laps or just quit, I think the 991 GT3 just joined the club, but hope to be proven wrong. My bet is now on the Corvette, but I will have to drive it to see how much fun it is and then see if it hold up. I will try to get as many summer days in as possible, if it survives a Florida Summer at Sebring, it is track worthy.

Originally Posted by scott40
LOL, LOL. Well said and very accurate
Old 03-11-2013, 08:37 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Some good clips for those that still think Modern Real Sportcars drive by themselves just because they use proper contemporary technology.

Clearly those Ferrari 458 have autopilot and the 2 driver goons have nothing to with it. Enjoy:

http://blog.axisofoversteer.com/2013...passenger.html
Old 03-11-2013, 09:23 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,390 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by cgomez
Some good clips for those that still think Modern Real Sportcars drive by themselves just because they use proper contemporary technology.

Clearly those Ferrari 458 have autopilot and the 2 driver goons have nothing to with it. Enjoy:

http://blog.axisofoversteer.com/2013...passenger.html

Those videos are awesome!!!!!!

Interesting how Alonso shufflesteers & Massa does not
Old 03-11-2013, 09:35 PM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you own a GT3 RS 4.0, mark this day. You just made $50,000 overnight.

The most successful Porsche racing engine, the Mezger flat-6, the last manual transmission GT3, in the last of the Analog Porsches.

VW owns Porsche, the 991 GT3 just gave a nice bump on resale to the 997.2 GT3/RS/4.0.
Noted!
Old 03-11-2013, 09:55 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Those videos are awesome!!!!!!

Interesting how Alonso shufflesteers & Massa does not
Hurley Haywood also shuffles...shuffles a lot. Ive rode with him around Barber a few times, very fast, calm, smooth and shuffles like crazy.

I have to shuffle some due to not being able to get my hands past my knees.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where's Rad?