Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Who is getting a 991 GT3?
I have a 996 GT3 and will buy one because my car is old and rattles.
0.51%
I have a 997 GT3 and will get one because it will be faster and I want to win my local DE race
3.59%
I have a 4.0. Leave me alone!
4.10%
I never had a GT3 but will order one now because it's the first one that I can actually drive ..
2.05%
I won't be getting one, will wait for the 991 RS
21.54%
I will buy one because this is a helluva car.
24.62%
I won't buy one. I like everything but the PDK
11.79%
I won't get one. I loathe its gismos and I dunno if I can't turn them OFF
9.23%
What GT3? This is a just a Carrera on steroids.
10.77%
I will wait to see if these CLs fly and what's the maintenance schedule before ordering
9.74%
open to suggestions
7.18%
A GT3 without bucket seats? No thanks, I'll buy a Vette.
2.05%
I guess I'll take one for the team this time..
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Who is getting one.? First official poll

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 03:46 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by manouk
Who is the new gt3 target market? Track guys,weekend drivers, daily drivers. I'm confused
All. Could not be less confusing.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:47 PM
Sierra Mike
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I need to change my vote from waiting for the RS. My deposit and spec are with Porsche already although I'm planning to keep my 997.2 GT3 as well. Probably the best of both worlds. There's speculation that there won't be an RS but I think that's doubtful. My dealer gave me two reasons for that. The first was Porsche focussing on the 960 and the second was Porsche focussing on the 929 .... who knows?!

It's impossible to judge the car without having driven it so the first feedback we'll get is when the press drive it. I'm looking forward to reading their reaction.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:12 PM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
PDK only?

Rear wheel steering?

I could not be more disappointed.

What next for the track? GPS activated predetermined shift points and precision satellite based turn in?

If Porsche kills the 6 speed in the turbo, I'm going to drink myself to death.
I think they may kill 6 speed - Esp when they took it away from GT3...

GPS guided shiftpoints/spring dampening - dont they do that in Motogp already?

Heck, where do they have the Autopilot mode =)

I didnt like PDK in the current turbo model. It was very numb.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:19 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by manouk
Who is the new gt3 target market? Track guys,weekend drivers, daily drivers. I'm confused
Mercedes AMG, Bentley, Audi R8, BMW M5 M3..these are the targest I think..plus the nouveau riche in Russia and China..however, the good thing is that the 991 GT3 wont be very usable on their streets either..so we wont see GT3s selling like pancakes over there..
Old 03-05-2013, 04:21 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Capt Mojo
I need to change my vote from waiting for the RS. My deposit and spec are with Porsche already although I'm planning to keep my 997.2 GT3 as well. Probably the best of both worlds. There's speculation that there won't be an RS but I think that's doubtful. My dealer gave me two reasons for that. The first was Porsche focussing on the 960 and the second was Porsche focussing on the 929 .... who knows?!

It's impossible to judge the car without having driven it so the first feedback we'll get is when the press drive it. I'm looking forward to reading their reaction.
Interesting Info..I wouldnt believe it either..but ein the end..ruling it out for 100% is not possible either. With the 991 GT3 they went very far from the CUP car..with an RS they would have to go back to the racing heritage..this would mean what I said before under point 1-4.

We will see..
Old 03-05-2013, 05:13 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Keeping the Rattletrap and not even interested in upgrading to a 7.2RS as they have way to many issues that would cost $$$$$$$$ when out of warranty. Old cars for Old Farts

Peter
Old 03-05-2013, 07:05 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Still developing the 6 for the track, but would definitely consider this one once I'm ready to move back to a street/track option. In the mean time, I think that unfortunately, depreciation on the various 997 GT3s will accelerate. This car will be brilliant... yeah, I drank the cool-aid.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:49 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hell no! 4.0 is the way to go. Last and best of the street GT- 3 Porsche's. With the pace of new technology, the 991 GT-3 will become "old hat" with the introduction of new electronics each year. ie: "I'm going to wait for the RS" It's never ending. Amen. Allan
Old 03-05-2013, 09:50 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I gots to have one, missed out on a 4.0, not this time. I'm the first guy on the list at my dealer.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:19 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am holding my horse to see... the GT3 might be the hottest potato now, but in the coming months, Porsche will announce the 991 Turbo, the 50th Anniversary 911 (just heard the rumor it will have the GT3 motor!? ), the 991 GT3RS, and who knows what else exciting are in the pipeline...
Old 03-05-2013, 10:19 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Why is VW adding GT3 badges to a 991 Carrera S with a bodykit and a powerkit?
Old 03-05-2013, 10:29 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche.collector
yes..fair point too..Im thinking also a bit about that one..but the 997 just looks better..but if I would get the 997 CUP..ist has to be the 2011 Model onwards..the gearbox is much improved on that one..
So if shopping for a used Cup in the coming years, one should look for a 2011 or later model? What did they do to the gearbox?
Old 03-05-2013, 11:02 PM
Horstair
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Why is VW adding GT3 badges to a 991 Carrera S with a bodykit and a powerkit?
That's what my wife said when she saw the pictures... She thinks our NB 7.2 GT3 is much prettier (and cheaper) ..and has a manual...
Old 03-09-2013, 05:22 PM
mike2727
Rennlist Member

Can you add, "Will not buy if Bucket seats are not a factory option"

Thanks
Mike
Old 03-09-2013, 07:41 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm not one for Internet dating. I need to do more than see a photography and read the bio of a girl before deciding if I'll trust her with my life.

In other words, I'll buy the damn car, drive it till then wheels fall off, then I'll know it's a real GT3.

I've been reading about the rump steer and the more I look into it, there more I realize I don't understand it.

Also, I'll have the benchmark, well, the RS 3.8, not the 4.0, for direct comparison. I won't be worried about lap times, just the draining of the adrenal gland. I'm looking forward to some exhausting exhaustive comparisons.

Anyway, that three quarter rear flank photo angle strikes me as a really nicely proportioned 911. I can't say that about the 991S, it looks far to VW Beetle snub nosed. Maybe the wider fenders and the old RS air flow from bumper cover have given the car a more proud prow.

I was watching a GM product spokesperson interview where they hinted the 450hp of the Vette was not their final number and they acknowledged Ford has their equivalent V8 at 470hp. Also, the next iteration of the Vette will be next year and probably a ZR1 (forced induction) variant, so I'm wondering if "waiting" for a Z06 is relevant or if the Z51 handling pack (including dry sump engine, Brembo's, shell seats, etc.) and 470 horse donk might be the "YOLO" next toy?

"Curious" to see GM and Ferrari have expanded their performance seat selection while Porsche cries poor. I read today that VW has 550,000 employees, making them larger than Ford, GM, Chrysler and Fiat combined. Yet they didn't find the "resources" to even carry the old shell seats forward. VW stated their primary strategic challenge was to increase profit margins. I think the whole Porsche vehicle line-up is a case in point.

I conclude this poll should include two additional votes:
* I'll buy it, but I'm not convinced I'll keep it.
* The C7 Vette is preferable.

I wonder if Porsche is doing anything internally to fight against this stuff they outwardly smile about, but inwardly, must realize they're screwing the pooch. Life must be like a tragic script of "Really?" from Seth Meyers on SNL. It can't feel good, if you're a top flight engineer, to come to work after building the engine or the rear steering or the aero or the suspension itself and discover pathetic little things like "really? no manual box? really? no seats? I mean, really, how heavy is it?!"

Quick Reply: Who is getting one.? First official poll