Sponsored by:

No 6 speed in the GT3. Ugh.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 06:14 PM
Tisibeast
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No 6 speed in the GT3. Ugh.

Well, not a proper clutch anyway. I understand that the PDK is faster. It will make drivers faster. The car will be faster. But its moving a massive step away from a drivers car. No skill required, my 4 year old would be able to downshift rev match as fast as Michael Schumacher. That sucks. Maybe my age is showing, but I am really disappointed that Porsche is really truly going to do it without a 6 speed. Ugh.

PS. The interior is FAR too refined for my tastes. Is there a butler that serves you coffee from the cavernous interior as well?
Old 03-04-2013, 06:20 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I may be in the minority, but I think it is awesome.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:34 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJay
I may be in the minority, but I think it is awesome.
I don't know about the first part, but as to the second part.....absolutely.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:44 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Tisibeast
Well, not a proper clutch anyway. I understand that the PDK is faster. It will make drivers faster. The car will be faster. But its moving a massive step away from a drivers car. No skill required, my 4 year old would be able to downshift rev match as fast as Michael Schumacher. That sucks. Maybe my age is showing, but I am really disappointed that Porsche is really truly going to do it without a 6 speed. Ugh.

PS. The interior is FAR too refined for my tastes. Is there a butler that serves you coffee from the cavernous interior as well?
Same here. I rather have a 6 speed like the 997.2 RS. I like the old center console with an emergency brake. I guess I've become to old and out dated, I've always liked old school and now this new stuff I think is just for the wanna bee's and have to much's.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:50 PM
Tisibeast
Racer

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Same here. I rather have a 6 speed like the 997.2 RS. I like the old center console with an emergency brake. I guess I've become to old and out dated, I've always liked old school and now this new stuff I think is just for the wanna bee's and have to much's.
THIS. Thank you! My guess, 997 GT3 RS's are going to leap in value.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:19 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

this car is good, but heading in different direction.
it will be an understatement to say that this car will divide opinions.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:24 PM
Tisibeast
Racer

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
this car is good, but heading in different direction.
it will be an understatement to say that this car will divide opinions.
I think it's fair to say it already has.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:40 PM
mistermct
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

... But its moving a massive step away from a drivers car. No skill required, my 4 year old would be able to downshift rev match as fast as Michael Schumacher. ...
Isn't a drivers' car one that makes the driver+car faster and thus a more consuming experience?

I for one am genuinely excited that Porsche is making a calculated step forward with the PDK. Look at all the benefits: faster, safer for engine/money shifts, left-foot braking, mid-corner shifting with no disruption, easier on transmission, perfect downshifts. every time. even in DD traffic

We've come to love something that was inherently bad: the fact that we had to use our right foot to brake AND rev-match so we didn't engine brake and lock the drive wheels under braking and/or shift late in mid-corner, etc...
This is a huge step forward (barring any execution fails). I do respect the beauty of watching, and listening, to a good driver rev-match... but have you never ever, not once, winced when you clunked the tranny or just didn't get that rev-match perfect???

How much more reliable will used 991 GT3s be with no overrevs and no transmission f-ups?
Old 03-05-2013, 01:04 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by mistermct
Isn't a drivers' car one that makes the driver+car faster and thus a more consuming experience?

I for one am genuinely excited that Porsche is making a calculated step forward with the PDK. Look at all the benefits: faster, safer for engine/money shifts, left-foot braking, mid-corner shifting with no disruption, easier on transmission, perfect downshifts. every time. even in DD traffic

We've come to love something that was inherently bad: the fact that we had to use our right foot to brake AND rev-match so we didn't engine brake and lock the drive wheels under braking and/or shift late in mid-corner, etc...
This is a huge step forward (barring any execution fails). I do respect the beauty of watching, and listening, to a good driver rev-match... but have you never ever, not once, winced when you clunked the tranny or just didn't get that rev-match perfect???

How much more reliable will used 991 GT3s be with no overrevs and no transmission f-ups?
No, a drivers car doesn't have to do any of those things. Just leaves it all up to the driver without filling in for human error. Once it does every thing for you is there any point to driving it? Really once it starts correcting your steering or entry angles it's game over. Might as well be playing a video game.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:37 AM
mistermct
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
No, a drivers car doesn't have to do any of those things. Just leaves it all up to the driver without filling in for human error. Once it does every thing for you is there any point to driving it? Really once it starts correcting your steering or entry angles it's game over. Might as well be playing a video game.
Agreed - when a car drives itself that would not be a driver's car. That would be a chauffeur's car. I also agree that driver's aids that actively modify driver inputs are not cool... but a PDK doesn't modify a drivers' input, it eliminates the need for one. Its merely a device that correctly matches engine speed/output to the vehicle speed at the request of the driver's right foot rather than their brain, right/left hand, and left foot. Those free limbs (and brain) can now be used in more advanced ways: left-foot braking, fine-tuning track position or more relaxed ways: holding a latte (sorry i just had to).
Old 03-05-2013, 02:28 AM
Horstair
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

THIS. Thank you! My guess, 997 GT3 RS's are going to leap in value.
All GT3's (with a manual) will increase! Why is it always just about the "RS". You are so narrow-minded :-)
Old 03-05-2013, 07:48 AM
LonnieR
Addict
Rennlist Member

The equation is very simple for me. I am a street driver 99.9% of the time. I need a car I can feel as attached to as possible not just something that can go the fastest. Therefore...no Manual... No Me.
I'll stick to 7 speed CS.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:35 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Horstair
All GT3's (with a manual) will increase! Why is it always just about the "RS". You are so narrow-minded :-)
I have a different opinion. I don't think the GT3 market is driven by track enthusiasts like us. Look how many are advertised "never been on track." if the market is driven by the people who just want to have the latest car in their garage, then the market for all 997 GT3 s will drop.
At least I hope so...I can't afford one...yet.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:59 AM
Kelderek
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Why do I think that exactly the same discussion occured when modern gearboxes replaced the old non-synchronized gearboxes in sports cars?

The only difference is that they didn't have internet forums in those days.

It appears that the sports car community survived that technology shift. It will do it this time as well.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:23 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 914 Posts

I think the new car is fantastic in almost every way but the lack of manual is probably a deal breaker for me and it's got nothing to do with old school vs new school. There's no question that PDK is quicker around a track (whether it can take the abuse is another story). If what I cared about was setting fast lap times then PDK would be a no-brainer. But I have a real race car for that and as much as Porsche marketing would like us to believe (and Porsche warranty chooses to ignore), this is not a real race car and never will be. It's an expensive escapism toy - nothing more, nothing less - and for that I want a manual, not an automatic.

I believe AP when he says the discussion regarding dropping the manual was lengthy but I suspect what he's not saying is that the bean-counters won in the end and that's really too bad.

Quick Reply: No 6 speed in the GT3. Ugh.