Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 08:59 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,442 Posts

Originally Posted by Tisibeast
So is it only about going faster?
I have been heel and toe down shifting for thirty years. The thrill of it is long gone. So yes it is all about laying down faster lap times for me, especially if I owned a GT3 or any track focused car.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:19 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
+991

On a track the length of the Nordschleife, sure. On a regular track of, say, 2.5 miles? I seriously doubt it except in the hands of a novice.
Interesting, every pro racing driver I have ever met has said they would choose a PDK over a manual at every track and in every race.

In fact Andrew Davis said it just last week at a local HPDE event I attended. He also said Leh Keen feels the same way. Grand-Am forces them to use a sequential manual to slow them down and equalize them against teams using paddle shifts but with a amateur driver.

H pattern shifters are dead.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:25 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Interesting, every pro racing driver I have ever met has said they would choose a PDK over a manual at every track and in every race.

In fact Andrew Davis said it just last week at a local HPDE event I attended. He also said Leh Keen feels the same way. Grand-Am forces them to use a sequential manual to slow them down and equalize them against teams using paddle shifts but with a amateur driver.

H pattern shifters are dead.
At the pro level, where $$$ is at stake and it is an arms race for tenths of a second? Of course.

What does that have to do with this car or this thread? People taking a GT3 to the track are doing it for pleasure, and, I used to assume, driver involvement. They are not pro racers trying to win championships.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:35 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 136 Posts

i drive for fun - -not $$$$. give me my manual
Old 03-05-2013, 09:52 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
+Juan
Old 03-05-2013, 09:58 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
Says the guy with the Challenge Stradale and Scuderia in his avatar
Old 03-05-2013, 10:36 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

On a track the length of the Nordschleife, sure. On a regular track of, say, 2.5 miles? I seriously doubt it except in the hands of a novice.
At the pro level, where $$$ is at stake and it is an arms race for tenths of a second? Of course.

What does that have to do with this car or this thread? People taking a GT3 to the track are doing it for pleasure, and, I used to assume, driver involvement. They are not pro racers trying to win championships.
It's relevant because just a few posts back you said that you "seriously doubted" that PDK would be faster on a 2.5 mile track "except in the hands of a novice". Then when someone points out that some pro drivers actually do choose it because it's faster, you dismiss that statement by saying, well "of course ....."

I assume you can see how that might be confusing......
Old 03-05-2013, 10:44 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
It's relevant because just a few posts back you said that you "seriously doubted" that PDK would be faster on a 2.5 mile track "except in the hands of a novice". Then when someone points out that some pro drivers actually do choose it because it's faster, you dismiss that statement by saying, well "of course ....."

I assume you can see how that might be confusing......
What they choose in a pro Rolex race car, which they are paid to drive, has no bearing on a street car IMO. Of course they want paddle shifters instead of the lever sequential in their Cup cars because the paddle Ferraris are kicking their butts (except last weekend at COTA...heh).

But again it is my opinion that only a relative novice would extract much of a consistent "advantage" (as if there is such a thing at a DE) from shifting, on a track of modest length, between PDK in a street GT3 and a stick.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:09 PM
Rodbuster
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I almost get the impression they are trying to get the GT3 to be more like a GT-R?
Old 03-05-2013, 11:25 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 94 Posts

What they choose in a pro Rolex race car, which they are paid to drive, has no bearing on a street car IMO. Of course they want paddle shifters instead of the lever sequential in their Cup cars because the paddle Ferraris are kicking their butts (except last weekend at COTA...heh).

But again it is my opinion that only a relative novice would extract much of a consistent "advantage" (as if there is such a thing at a DE) from shifting, on a track of modest length, between PDK in a street GT3 and a stick.
+1. Paddle shift installed SMG M3, running in the green group. We've all had that student before.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:33 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
+1. Paddle shift installed SMG M3, running in the green group. We've all had that student before.
running hoosiers...
Old 03-06-2013, 01:25 AM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rodbuster
I almost get the impression they are trying to get the GT3 to be more like a GT-R?
I believe it is even simpler than that. They are trying to catch up with the competition in general.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:54 AM
AGO
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by StirlingMoss
I believe it is even simpler than that. They are trying to catch up with the competition in general.
I think I could live with the pdk (I'd miss the challenge of a manual for sure)... but that rear wheel steering ... It wonder if is strong enough for serious track time... And how predictable or linear it may be as you rotate the car ...
Old 03-06-2013, 08:40 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 940 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by AGO
I think I could live with the pdk (I'd miss the challenge of a manual for sure)... but that rear wheel steering ... It wonder if is strong enough for serious track time... And how predictable or linear it may be as you rotate the car ...
I think the undertone in that video of Preuninger is that they were indeed chasing the GTR - that car humiliated Porsche. In many ways they didn't have a choice but to go 4WS, PDK, and Torque vectoring, while still making a streetable car.

I'm glad we didn't end up with a turbo.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:08 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

As someone else pointed out you have contradicted your earlier post. You may think using an H patten manual is more involving. I don't.

Using an H pattern shifter is a dying and unnecessary excise. As I wrote the Brumos car is using a sequential manual, not even an H patten. If you are teaching people to use an H patten transmission on a race track you might as well be practicing jousting. It might be enjoyable to you but it isn't really productive in the larger scheme of things.

That said I do enjoy using the H patten manual in my 356 but in a track focused car there is just no reason for it. Different tools for different jobs.

Quick Reply: No 6 speed in the GT3. Ugh.