Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The first I hate that the new GT3 doesnt have a clutch thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 12:27 PM
PoloTurbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Without driver involment I would buy a 2013 Gtr ad a million of coolers and lap the new Gt3 with ease. At least now no excuse for the 991 gt3 drivers the car is doing it for you like Godzilla.

Long live the 997 manual I need one.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:34 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If a manual becomes an option on the RS or 2nd Gen 991 GT3, I suspect it will have auto blip on the downshift....there goes your heel-toeing

Last edited by Conekilr; 03-05-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:14 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

New car, usual fuzz. Opinions are all good, but do test drive before judging.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:54 PM
ScorpionT
Instructor

Am I the only one seriously bothered that the new GT3 has a HIGHER curb weight than a C2S? Sure, it may be quicker on track but to me its going backwards against the old GT philosophy. I want a GT car to be pared down, removing weight from a standard Carrera, not adding it.

Originally Posted by wanna911
Performance and lap times critical? Lol. How many people buy GT3's for that? This has to be the mecca of i dont care if i get passed i like the driver involvement world. PDK is a bandaid for a bigger problem that will still have to be addressed. The competition. Fast shifts wont overcome torque. Every car will get faster and the GT3 is still coming out slower than the last generation Corvette, GTR VIPER who by the way are after Porsche customers while Porsche reaches for a smaller group of Ferrari people.

And that makes business sense?
I doubt many core buyers need it. If that were the case, many other cars are better for the track, especially the GTR.

Originally Posted by PoloTurbo
Without driver involment I would buy a 2013 Gtr ad a million of coolers and lap the new Gt3 with ease. At least now no excuse for the 991 gt3 drivers the car is doing it for you like Godzilla.

Exactly.

Originally Posted by StirlingMoss
New car, usual fuzz. Opinions are all good, but do test drive before judging.
I will drive one if the opportunity presents itself, but I wont seek out a car. I drove the 991S PDK when it first came out. Had the car for an hour but was bored after 5 minutes. For me the fun factor of the PDK was downright lousy, and I have no interest in the new GT3 if it has flappy paddles.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:08 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ScorpionT
I will drive one if the opportunity presents itself, but I wont seek out a car. I drove the 991S PDK when it first came out. Had the car for an hour but was bored after 5 minutes. For me the fun factor of the PDK was downright lousy, and I have no interest in the new GT3 if it has flappy paddles.
I had a similar experience when I first test drove a 997.2 CS PDK for an hour. Boring and disappointing. However, I had the opposite experience while spending two days on the Nürburgring with a 997.2 GTS PDK. I found it more involving and fun (in Sport Plus mode) than my current 997.2 CS manual. Hence I have joined the dark side and the next car will for sure be PDK. A GT3 PDK
Old 03-05-2013, 04:15 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Without manual on the GT3 --- Suddenly the Audi R8 appeals to me.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:08 PM
Tisibeast
Racer

Originally Posted by PoloTurbo

This is exactly my point. If you are limiting driver involvement and simply want the fastest car for the best $$$ the new GTR is the car for you. 545 HP, 463 LB feet of torque, launch control, every gadget and gizmo to make you fast. And an extra 31k in the bank. You could easily make an argument that the Nissan with all its bells and whistles, AWD, torque sensing differentials, etc. is a drivers car too if you say the GT3 is. Problem is, I drove it on the track and simply hated it. Its not a drivers car. And it will simply destroy the GT3.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:17 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Tisibeast
This is exactly my point. If you are limiting driver involvement and simply want the fastest car for the best $$$ the new GTR is the car for you. 545 HP, 463 LB feet of torque, launch control, every gadget and gizmo to make you fast. And an extra 31k in the bank. You could easily make an argument that the Nissan with all its bells and whistles, AWD, torque sensing differentials, etc. is a drivers car too if you say the GT3 is. Problem is, I drove it on the track and simply hated it. Its not a drivers car. And it will simply destroy the GT3.
I could care less for the GTR!
The new GT3 is not going to feel like a GTR,I can bet on that!
Old 03-05-2013, 06:18 PM
Tisibeast
Racer

Originally Posted by neanicu
I could care less for the GTR!
The new GT3 is not going to feel like a GTR,I can bet on that!
But it will be faster in every measurable performance category... I can guarantee that. And for less $$
Old 03-05-2013, 06:26 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

But it will be faster in every measurable performance category... I can guarantee that. And for less $$
It's a freaking TWIN TURBO monster!!! It's a WHALE...that's what it is...
Old 03-05-2013, 06:30 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
it will depreciate faster then the normal GT3/RS arc has been over the last few years because the only real reason this car holds market value is the second-hand sales to people like us who are enthusiasts.

it's a very odd car if you really take a step back and look at it-

it will be the best performing regular GT3 because of the goodies- but the suspension is a real turn off to "bling buyers" and they will be forced to dump them since so many of you guys who wanted a manual won't be buying...it is going after a larger audience but that audience is more fickle and is cross shopping with audi R8 v10, Aston martin, bentley GT, ferrari california, maserati 2-door, etc.

all those cars have something in common: they are not TRACK CARS. the GT3 is a track car and selling too many of them to non-enthusiasts will help initial sales, and increase the amount of trade ins, but in the end the 997.2 and 997.1 will be the last manual trans cars and as such will remain the car most of us drive 10 years from now (like the way the e36 is a ubiquitous track monster for many)
Old 03-05-2013, 06:30 PM
Tisibeast
Racer

Originally Posted by neanicu
It's a freaking TWIN TURBO monster!!! It's a WHALE...that's what it is...
And it's less expensive and faster. Isn't that what everyone wants? Yep, it weighs almost 4000 lbs but all the electronic shifting, torque differentials, etc. make up for that. Who cares how much it weighs right? I mean, the new GT3 weighs more than a C2S......
Old 03-05-2013, 06:36 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

And it's less expensive and faster. Isn't that what everyone wants? Yep, it weighs almost 4000 lbs but all the electronic shifting, torque differentials, etc. make up for that. Who cares how much it weighs right? I mean, the new GT3 weighs more than a C2S......
You don't get my point!
It has the exact same displacement as a GT3,am I correct?
I assume YES...
Now put a TWIN TURBO on top of that!
It's cheaper? Yes. Good choice for some...I mean if you like to drive a WHALE...
Old 03-05-2013, 06:38 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

All of this talk about the GTR cracks me up. Maybe folks should stop bench racing the spec sheets and compare the actual driving experience of a GT3 and a GTR. Oh wait, you can't because no one here has driven the GT3 yet and few have probably driven the GTR. Not that it's kept anyone from handing out opinions on both cars left and right. Just a guess, but once the reviews are in, you will find there is no comparison.

In all honesty, I think the GTR is simply butt ugly inside and out, has no appeal for me, and I truly wouldn't own one if I was given one. Now there's bias for you....
Old 03-05-2013, 06:50 PM
Tisibeast
Racer

The "pure" drivers car is a dying breed. I guess this is what scares me the most. I can think of very few anymore. The Subaru BRZ leaps to mind. Its VERY simple. It's not overly fast. And it gets RAVE reviews. Whats going on in the car business right now reminds me of what happened in the watch business in the 80's. The Quartz Watch Scare. Quartz watches could be made for less money than mechanical, were more accurate, and were going to put mechanical watches into the dustbin of history. Then an interesting thing happened. The novelty of quartz watches wore off and mechanical watches came back. Mechanical Watches filled the role of class, quality and centuries old tradition. I think we are headed down the same path with cars, I guess time will tell.

Quick Reply: The first I hate that the new GT3 doesnt have a clutch thread