Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The first I hate that the new GT3 doesnt have a clutch thread

Old 03-04-2013, 11:17 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,714 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by SSST
Purist our not, if the goal is lap times, the PDK is the way to go. Even the pros use this technology when real money is involved.
Majority of pro drives are single-clutch sequential; there are very few DCT boxes being used in pro racing.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:18 PM
mistermct
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Let's be honest... don't we all want one from each generation? 6.2,7.1,7.2 and 991??
Old 03-04-2013, 11:22 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mistermct
Let's be honest... don't we all want one from each generation? 6.2,7.1,7.2 and 991??
Yes. I know I do.

I decided I need at least 3 Porsches...

A 991 C4S as a Daily
A 991 GT3/RS for track and weekend fun
and a Singer 911 for the joys of a classic Porsche.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:30 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

The 991 GT3 would need to have three pedals for me to want one. PDK is faster, foolproof, and would be my choice as a dedicated car for track days. However, in reality, I only get to the track a few times per year (although when I am there, I run in A groups, so I can appreciate a real track-worthy car). For Sunday drives through the canyons, only a fool pushes a car like this near its limits, so the entertainment value for me is the involvement of a sports car, not necessarily pushing of the envelope. And I do not consider activating an electronic switch "involvement".

My 997 was an automatic, and it was the last Porsche that I used both on the track and as a daily driver. Although the transmission itself sucked, the concept worked for me (although it was primarily to appease the wife - it was to be her car). But I find the GT3 too flamboyant to drive daily, so I do not see it filling that role (and life has changed since then, necessitating a more practical daily driver).

So I am stuck with 'lesser' or used Porsche models, or another brand, if I want a manual transmission. As somebody that (prior to my Spyder) has always had a 911 in some form for the 20-something years of my entire adult life, it is irritating to be abandoned by the brand.

Porsche knows we are out here. They made the Spyder, and both the press and buyers ate it up. If not the GT3, throw us another bone with some more power - perhaps the 50th Anniversary model will be more than a paint-and-upholstery 'special edition', and actually be a 911 without computer controlled transmission, suspension, differential, rear steering, etc., but with what appears to be a fantastic new engine. One can hope...
Old 03-04-2013, 11:42 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by cetro
I got to start looking for the right 997.2 GT3RS before the prices increase. 4.0 will almost be impossible to find now!!!
New GT3 just as fast as 4.0 on 'ring.

Guys, honestly, enough whining about the rawness and the lack of feel and the lack of manual. The car is fast and fast is fun. Heel toe or not. Don't get me wrong, I'm keeping my RS, but this GT3 should be phenomenal. Let's not judge until we drive it. The RS should be sick! Hopefully the RS has a PDK III sport version! (kidding, of course)
Old 03-04-2013, 11:48 PM
mistermct
Racer

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
The 991 GT3 would need to have three pedals for me to want one. PDK is faster, foolproof, and would be my choice as a dedicated car for track days. However, in reality, I only get to the track a few times per year (although when I am there, I run in A groups, so I can appreciate a real track-worthy car). For Sunday drives through the canyons, only a fool pushes a car like this near its limits, so the entertainment value for me is the involvement of a sports car, not necessarily pushing of the envelope. And I do not consider activating an electronic switch "involvement".

My 997 was an automatic, and it was the last Porsche that I used both on the track and as a daily driver. Although the transmission itself sucked, the concept worked for me (although it was primarily to appease the wife - it was to be her car). But I find the GT3 too flamboyant to drive daily, so I do not see it filling that role (and life has changed since then, necessitating a more practical daily driver).

So I am stuck with 'lesser' or used Porsche models, or another brand, if I want a manual transmission. As somebody that (prior to my Spyder) has always had a 911 in some form for the 20-something years of my entire adult life, it is irritating to be abandoned by the brand.

Porsche knows we are out here. They made the Spyder, and both the press and buyers ate it up. If not the GT3, throw us another bone with some more power - perhaps the 50th Anniversary model will be more than a paint-and-upholstery 'special edition', and actually be a 911 without computer controlled transmission, suspension, differential, rear steering, etc., but with what appears to be a fantastic new engine. One can hope...
Why do you feel abandoned by Porsche as they release a new GT3 that is not designed for your use case? (by your own admission too flamboyant for a DD car and you don't want a dedicated track car) It sounds like you wouldn't drive a Cayenne or Panamera either and, again, not designed for you. I would sum up the intention of the GT3 as they always have: a track/race car for the street. Given that how much longer could Porsche go without releasing a true performance flappy tranny? How much lap time do they leave on the table?
Old 03-05-2013, 12:04 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Why do you feel abandoned by Porsche as they release a new GT3 that is not designed for your use case?
I am not questioning the decision to make a GT3 with PDK - what I am surprised and disappointed by is not providing an option. Every GT3 to date has had a manual, even though the competition has had automated manuals the entire time (from Nissan to Ferrari). Now they decide no manuals? There is obviously a market for both transmissions, and it doesn't seem like it would have been hard to offer both in the 991 GT3.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:27 AM
mistermct
Racer

I am not questioning the decision to make a GT3 with PDK - what I am surprised and disappointed by is not providing an option. Every GT3 to date has had a manual, even though the competition has had automated manuals the entire time (from Nissan to Ferrari). Now they decide no manuals? There is obviously a market for both transmissions, and it doesn't seem like it would have been hard to offer both in the 991 GT3.
If you were the project leader would you feel comfortable releasing two versions of a car with noticeable performance differences (lap times, 0-60, fuel efficiency) when absolute performance is so critical? If that's not enough, what about all the extra engineering required to adapt the driving electronics to a manual transmission? I think APs interview with EVO was quite telling... they had a hard decision to make because they were forced to make a decision - they needed more performance from the car.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:42 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

If you were the project leader would you feel comfortable releasing two versions of a car with noticeable performance differences (lap times, 0-60, fuel efficiency) when absolute performance is so critical? If that's not enough, what about all the extra engineering required to adapt the driving electronics to a manual transmission? I think APs interview with EVO was quite telling... they had a hard decision to make because they were forced to make a decision - they needed more performance from the car.
Those are excellent points. Almost every other high end constructor has had to make the same choices and reached the same conclusions that Porsche did. We all think we know better than the people engineering and building these cars just how to go about it, but the fact of the matter is, we don't; the issues are never as straightforward as we'd like to think. We know what we want, but that's not the same thing. Perhaps unfortunately, moving into the future almost always involves leaving something behind.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:45 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

I am the potential customer, not the project leader.

Nurburgring times, 0-60, fuel efficiency, etc. are not something I care about. I want a soul-stirring engine with a manual transmission - the 9A1 is not soul-stirring, and the new GT3 is not a manual. Simple as that.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:13 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it was a business decision.
the future starts now. get used to it. i am, and i'm the biggest luddite round here for sure!
Old 03-05-2013, 01:16 AM
mistermct
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Those are excellent points. Almost every other high end constructor has had to make the same choices and reached the same conclusions that Porsche did. We all think we know better than the people engineering and building these cars just how to go about it, but the fact of the matter is, we don't; the issues are never as straightforward as we'd like to think. We know what we want, but that's not the same thing. Perhaps unfortunately, moving into the future almost always involves leaving something behind.
Leaving behind all the risks with the manual is the fee we pay... but think of all that brilliant left-foot braking yet to come!!! The ability to focus on fine-tuning track position will be second to none - exciting times for Porsche fans.

Nurburgring times, 0-60, fuel efficiency, etc. are not something I care about. I want a soul-stirring engine with a manual transmission - the 9A1 is not soul-stirring, and the new GT3 is not a manual. Simple as that.
You don't seem to want any of the cars' other features.. why latch on to the PDK and express displeasure with it when you wouldn't get this GT3 even if it had a manual?

I thought we agreed you weren't the potential customer...
Old 03-05-2013, 01:17 AM
gibbyc4s
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to add my voice to this.

No mt no sale.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:45 AM
azmurciev12
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

i agree with the statement of CJ Ichiban.

however much we like the manual tranny, the people in this group are a drop in the bucket to the wider audience that Porsche wants to cater to. as to, second hand sales, CJI may be very correct.

still, i wouldn't be surprised if Porsche offers a manual on the RS to satisfy the desires of the true enthusiasts thus giving a more definite segmentation between the RS and the regular GT3
Old 03-05-2013, 02:21 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

OK, you don't care about outright performance, and PDK doesn't float your boat. But to say an engine with the technology, HP, and redline this one has, isn't potentially soul stirring, well........

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The first I hate that the new GT3 doesnt have a clutch thread