Sponsored by:

The first I hate that the new GT3 doesnt have a clutch thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 01:48 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Interesting. The 2011 Cup - in CG's avatar and signature - has a third pedal, which is used on downshifts, and no flappy paddles, requiring removal of right hand from the steering wheel for every shift.

I guess we're talking about some other track car. The Fiat perhaps?
Correct. That's what I hate the most about my CupCar. That gearbox is a POS. Any GT Pro will tell you almost any other gearbox from the other manufacturers of GT3(E) racecars is better. That's why the GT3 R and RSR use proper paddles.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:58 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cello
I dont disagree. But your comment on the torque distr systems undefeatability is what has bothered me about this iteration. Even if you can switch off of the TC and SC, are you not still left with a rear steer solenoid (or the like) and worse yet that awful use the brake to turn system coupled with the electronic diff??? You cant opt out of those systems to my understanding and those are the real deal-break for primary track use, for me at least. If you want be fully in control of your ride, your turn in speeds, your steering -braking- throttle input, how are you rationalizing those systems away if a undefeatable AWD TD system bothers you so?
I agree with your comment. I'm all for REAL limited slip differentials. The GT3 has one and doesn't use the braking the spinning inside wheel system used in the lesser cars. Not sure about USA, but in RoW in 911s and Caymans there's a sport option that allow you to spec an LSD.

If the LSD has some electronics to make the rate of lockup variable, I think it is the best of both worlds. The BMW M and Ferrari LSD do work incredible well and better than Porsche's LSD. You do feel a real analog connection between your right foot and how much slip you want from the rear axle ("driftability")

At the end, the most important thing is DRIVING THE CAR!! and see how it really feels at the limit on track with TC and SC off; and none of us has done that with the 991 GT3.

IMO, The modern Ferrari's are superb on track and I actually enjoy more the lesser (closer to street car) 458 Challenge than my 997.2 Cup Car. With TC/SC OFF you can play around with it a lot more than with the P-Car.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:49 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From the horses mouth.

They are talking about the new Viper but FF to 9:40 to hear Randy's thought's on Dual Clutch.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:00 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,726 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by cgomez
Correct. That's what I hate the most about my CupCar. That gearbox is a POS. Any GT Pro will tell you almost any other gearbox from the other manufacturers of GT3(E) racecars is better. That's why the GT3 R and RSR use proper paddles.

IMO, The modern Ferrari's are superb on track and I actually enjoy more the lesser (closer to street car) 458 Challenge than my 997.2 Cup Car. With TC/SC OFF you can play around with it a lot more than with the P-Car.
Sounds like you need to dump your Cup.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:04 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
From the horses mouth.

They are talking about the new Viper but FF to 9:40 to hear Randy's thought's on Dual Clutch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=k-ItYO0LoMU
Modern automatics.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:29 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Best part (looking at the laguna lap table) is that there are now 5 almost 6 manuals on the list before you get to your first auto nanny shifter. But sure, we need dual clutches to go fast.......

And the first auto is a 240k Mclaren. The second auto is a 400k Lambo. The least expensive fast auto is now an over 100k GT-R followed by a slightly under 100k Porsche. Also include another 250k Ferrari, 180k Audi, 600k Lexus, 180k Mercedes. Soon to be joined by GT3's and RS's optioned out to 150-200k.

Let's be real, the vast majority of people with that much money in a car drive so apprehensively, won't matter how fast the car shifts. LOL. PDK Self-Check. You guys better talk Peter into buying one.

These cars will be worthless out of warranty, the maintenance/running/repair costs will be huge (ask the GT-R track guys). There will not be a PDK takeover at the track anytime soon. Especially at the front of the pack. Just to speak on the additional sacrifices that will have to be made for that fraction of a second you'll get from your 60% shorter fap paddles.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:14 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^truth^
Old 04-04-2013, 10:41 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 136 Posts

but it has "short throw" paddles -- - -that makes it fun doesn't IT????
Old 04-04-2013, 11:30 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
but it has "short throw" paddles -- - -that makes it fun doesn't IT????
Yeah! And if you pull both back at once, something happens! Still not sure what, but something.

In all seriousness, the boldness, courage and honesty of the many of the US nameplate CEO's, engineers, product managers to come out and face the public in the press, on the forums, it is amazing and forces even the most Kool-Aid intoxicated to acknowledge that certain European brand car buyers have really be getting a deep, lube-less sex session.

I may never go back to a Porsche again in my life after everything I have experienced up to now. Just on principal...
Old 04-05-2013, 03:30 AM
wanna911
Race Car

C'mon, really!? I only consider Traction Control and Stability Control as the only electronic features on a street GT car that detract from the driving experience and interfere with the real driver ability (I don't count Torque distribution systems just because I hate and will never buy a track/race car with AWD). And as long as you can switch OFF ALL TC and SC, I'm happy.
ABS for example is now widely accepted. Why is not everyone asking for an ABS deactivation switch? That will make you a better braver driver than rowing a cumbersome Hpattern stick.

Oh yeah right.... Modern tech makes track cars autopilot themselves:
In the same way that these modern Ferrari's with all that tech drive on their own by these amateur drivers (clearly they dont know what they are doing and it just the cars autopilot )

http://blog.axisofoversteer.com/2013...passenger.html
I'd love to have a deactivate switch on ABS, but not on a system that's designed around it's use. Design braking systems not to have ABS as a safeguard, get rid of all of the extra crap that goes with it and let's go!

That or give me some dual brake reservoirs with brake bias controls. There are other solutions than electronic ones.........

But alas, ABS required by Gov. so that's not going to come from the factory.

Quick Reply: The first I hate that the new GT3 doesnt have a clutch thread