Sponsored by:

Mandatory video for GT3 answers

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 11:55 AM
arena-RTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Porsche 991 GT3 - EVO interview with Andreas Preuninger

Great video... I'm completely psyched to drive the new PDK... He says it feels like a sequential!

Last edited by arena-RTR; 03-05-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:04 PM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SA Mike
Is it me or did values just go up on our cars.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...rch=true&Log=0
Sell now
When this new car hits the streets and are blowing past all the previous GT3 models, their value will drop like a lead weight...
Old 03-05-2013, 12:07 PM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Maybe someone already pointed this out but the front radiator openings have a mesh covering...nice Porsche!
Old 03-05-2013, 12:31 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Somewhat OT...where can I get that jacket he is wearing?

....hold the corvette owner comments please
Old 03-05-2013, 01:02 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by rlips
How come the interviewer didn't bring up the center locks. Makes the car a non starter for me, I simply won't buy a car with them again.
+1. I will not buy any car with CL again. Period.

Why is he so excited about rear wheel steering? This is a very old technology that I remember was equipped in a Honda Prelude like 20 years ago.

CL rear wheels plus the need to steer, I predict it will break off much easier on track now. We will see....

20" wheels is good for show only, just make sure the track is super smooth and don't ride the curb.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:05 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,721 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by brake dust
Surprised that the 991 GT3 weighs more than the 991 C2S!
Nothing taken out; 32lbs added for rear steering. That's pretty much your additional 15kg over C2S.

Also running wider rear of C4S; rear wing and composite trunk that's likely a push vs what's on C2S. Wheel/tire combo lighter than gen 2 GT3 but whether they represent a savings over standard C2S??

She's a porker. Ah, what could've been.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:49 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Well that's reassuring... and pretty exciting.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:28 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Video thoughts:

Where are they building the GT engines for the Cup cars if there is no room? Didn’t look like it took up that much room when I saw them building the motors. The whole answer around the engine was weak, like some back pedaling politician. Love the answer when asked if it will go into the Cup, so reassuring. Cheaper, so where is the pricing discount? All for a new advanced engine, maybe it will be great but if it isn’t good enough to go racing then it should be in the GT car.

Rear wheel steering. I really don’t know the +/- of it, but the technology has been here for years, so why isn’t anyone else using it if it is so great? Is this going in the Cup?

PDK only, sounds like they didn’t want to put the $ in to develop a manual box

CL, really? Bet they are different part no’s.

In all the propaganda it is amazing how many times they mention tracking the car. I think they should have a disclaimer on ever mention of this that your warranty will be voided if you do take it to the track.

I’m sure it will be fast, whether it stands the test of time quality wise on the track is another question. At least it looks great and they didn’t put a standard gen 1 taco wing on it…
Old 03-05-2013, 04:39 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GJ
Sell now
When this new car hits the streets and are blowing past all the previous GT3 models, their value will drop like a lead weight...
+1
Old 03-05-2013, 05:43 PM
ScorpionT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GJ
Sell now
Doubt it. When the 458 Italia came out the values of the 360 and F430 started climbing. The same will happy with the earlier GT3 cars.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:39 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe S.
In all the propaganda it is amazing how many times they mention tracking the car. I think they should have a disclaimer on ever mention of this that your warranty will be voided if you do take it to the track...
BINGO! I would have loved to see the interviewer ask: "These are marketed as track cars, so why doesnt P warranty them as such?"
Old 03-05-2013, 10:33 PM
Sierra Mike
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GJ
Sell now
I'm inclined to disagree. In the UK, it's the 991 which has been dropping like a lead weight rather than the 997. Talking about lead weights, a GT3 shouldn't be heavier than the car it's based on but this one is.

The 991 is not the success the 997 was so Porsche has thrown a bunch of stuff at the 991 GT3. The car's bigger, heavier, has more electronic aids, PDK because the 991 manual gearbox is based on the PDK anyway, electric steering, DFI engine ... the list goes on and on and this list takes the car far away from everything enthusiasts have grown to love about the GT3. Time will tell if Porsche has succeeded but I think many GT3 owners will be reluctant to trade their current GT3s for this one.

The 996 and 997 GT3s and RS variants are probably the last road cars with manual gear gearboxes, Metzger engines and hydraulic steering Porsche will ever build. I think these cars have just become instant classics and that's why I'm keeping my 997.2 GT3 despite having ordered the new one.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:56 AM
Nan P
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

This looks great & after watching the video I'm excited!

Con: 20" wheels for tracking, PDK only
Jury still out: Reliability of new motor, rear steering, PDK software/behavior, overall feel
Pro: Looks, performance....

Call me a glass half full guy, but listening to AP, I think this is going to be an home run!

Quick Reply: Mandatory video for GT3 answers