Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 991 GT3 / Exclusive pics and information. The real deal & at last some good news!

Old 02-18-2013, 05:25 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by scott40
Why in the world would you do that? One of the main points of paddle shifting is that you can keep your hands on the wheel and shift? It looks silly. It's a paddle shifting car. You don't need a center selector. You don't see that on the Fiats do you? No- there is a small button in the center to engage reverse. The rest is controlled with the paddles. I don't think the Cup versions are going to have that. If you're going paddles, go paddles.
Geez, I though we were all about choices. Some people prefer using the stick. Anyway, it would require more than having one button on the console for reverse as you would have to re-engineer the function to select automatic mode as well. People are complaining that this car is becoming too Fiat-like and others that it's not Fiat-like enough. Make up your minds!
Old 02-18-2013, 05:27 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Before you completely dismiss the 9A1 engine, way back when it was introduced someone posted a very detailed diagram of the engine and pointed out a couple of connectors which looked like they were for a dry sump. I suspect the "new" engine has a lot in common with the 9A1, especially since the PDK tranny is compatible.

Best,
I agree. Good point!

Let's not forget, the "new" engine should make sense financially.

Despite what the engineer said today, and without dismissing the motorsport angle , I, too, think that this engine cannot be a completely new platform for only GT3s , turbos and race cars. The math and sale numbers don't add up.

I think that it will share parts with the 9A1 engine.
And that is not a bad thing per se.
On the contrary , an engine with common characteristics between the whole 911 line is something that was missing from the first watercooled era..
Old 02-18-2013, 05:31 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Because, like the faux centerlocks, it gives the wanna-bes and the cars & coffee crowd the impression that they are driving a "street legal Cup car".
So by your definition, the people who have "faux centerlocks" on their existing GT3's and RS's are wanna-bes who want to give the C&C crowd the impression that they're driving a Cup car?
Old 02-18-2013, 05:32 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,395 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
car and coffee I take stick
track I take PDk, f1 whatever they call it. drive a seq cup, u won't want H pattern on trk. he'll, I don't want that clutch either for up or down shift
I have driven them all. While I agree that the 7 Cup sequential is faster & easier, I still prefer the INVOLVEMENT of a manual transmission on track.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:34 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
So by your definition, the people who have "faux centerlocks" on their existing GT3's and RS's are wanna-bes who want to give the C&C crowd the impression that they're driving a Cup car?
It is my view, shared by many, that the reason Porsche put the centerlocks on the .2 GT3's and other cars was purely cosmetic, for marketing reasons. There can be no other possible explanation, considering what an utter piece of **** clusterphuque the centerlocks are. Pure 100% affectation. It was purely driven why who Porsche believed its customers were.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:35 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,585 Likes on 733 Posts

Before you completely dismiss the 9A1 engine, way back when it was introduced someone posted a very detailed diagram of the engine and pointed out a couple of connectors which looked like they were for a dry sump. I suspect the "new" engine has a lot in common with the 9A1, especially since the PDK tranny is compatible.

Best,
My thoughts exactly, a 9A1 engine with a lot of upgrades to make it worthy of a new name, but i dont care as long as they stick it in a CUP car it is good enough for me.

I have driven them all. While I agree that the 7 Cup sequential is faster & easier, I still prefer the INVOLVEMENT of a manual transmission on track.
I agree, taking away from my hobby. Hate PDK on the street, but need to spend a day with one on track to make final judgement. I think it will make it less involved, maybe even boring ?!

CL's are trouble free on wide body cars, these are wide body, so whats the problem?
Old 02-18-2013, 05:42 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
I agree. Good point!

Let's not forget, the "new" engine should make sense financially.

Despite what the engineer said today, and without dismissing the motorsport angle , I, too, think that this engine cannot be a completely new platform for only GT3s , turbos and race cars. The math and sale numbers don't add up.

I think that it will share parts with the 9A1 engine.
And that is not a bad thing per se.
On the contrary , an engine with common characteristics between the whole 911 line is something that was missing from the first watercooled era..
exactly..and dont forget that Porsche is also developing a new 8 Boxer..that will be the "racing future". To which extent this "new GT3 racing engine" will appear in race cars..remains to be seen. I personally doubt it..but lets see.

It doesnt make sense to introduce in Dec 2012 the 991 CUP Car with the old engine - while 3 month later presenting in the street car the new "racing engine"..where is the logic?
Old 02-18-2013, 05:42 PM
ELPORSCHA
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No more MT's. But why ?

Do MT cars consume more fuel?? Or cause more pollution (gas emissions, noise)

Back in the late 90's, Porsche halted air-cooled engine production, well ahead of the EC automobile manufacturers imposition of guidelines/restrictions regarding noise/pollution went into effect. But what with a no MT cars!

Doesn't make sense where Porsche engineers are heading with 911 !

May be it all goes way back to mid 90's, the day when Dr Wendelin Wiedeking took over as CEO of the company, and brought all those Japanese auto-architects ! to streamline Porsche and stave off bankruptcy !
Old 02-18-2013, 05:44 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

Love the higher redline, expected the CLs and still loathe them...but seriously bummed by no MT and I can only pray that later a stick is offered. Otherwise, no more GT cars for me.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:46 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
CL's are trouble free on wide body cars, these are wide body, so whats the problem?
They are far from trouble free, and frankly, they are a solution to a problem that did not exist. Total mental masturbation project for some engineers. I mean, come on: should it REALLY require several people, a jack, and a gigantic 4' long tool just to properly torque a wheel?
Old 02-18-2013, 05:48 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 93 Posts

I like how Porsche just made the 991 Carrera-S w/ a manual tranny, instead of the GT3, the "enthusiasts" choice.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:51 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Best,
To me, it seems like this engine might make a Cayman the giant killer that it's never been allowed to be... and still keep a manual.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:52 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Geez, I though we were all about choices. Some people prefer using the stick. Anyway, it would require more than having one button on the console for reverse as you would have to re-engineer the function to select automatic mode as well. People are complaining that this car is becoming too Fiat-like and others that it's not Fiat-like enough. Make up your minds!
That's just it, we don't have any choices. You won't be able get 18" wheels for what now USED to be the best factory track car on the planet. You can't get a manual.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:56 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

And it sounds like this..
Attached Files
File Type: zip
991gt3_c.zip (102.8 KB, 28 views)
Old 02-18-2013, 05:56 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

then u must do what I plan to do
stockpile old gt3
lease new gt3
then have both type gear box

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New 991 GT3 / Exclusive pics and information. The real deal & at last some good news!