Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 991 GT3 / Exclusive pics and information. The real deal & at last some good news!

Old 03-04-2013, 04:11 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts

Preuninger says more than a second faster than the previous model to 200 kph. The 997.2 gt3 did 12.3 so.. 11.3 or less!?

Preuninger "sure that we are within the gt3 rs 4.0 lap times" (Nurburgring)
Old 03-04-2013, 04:17 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,390 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by BBMGT3
Did I read something right...

LEFT for upshifts????
Weird. The EXACT OPPOSITE of every other paddle shift car out there. Ugh.

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Reading about PTV and rear wheel steering and "2 hands in for clutch in" for freeing the gearbox up agains understeer or spins gives me a headache.
+1

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
AP "promises" the steering feedback is on 996/997 levels.

Big promise and we are going to hold him on it.
Isn't he the same maketing shill who also promised how wonderful the faux CL's are?
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Thanks Guy, for the post; that was great! Curb weight is confusing to me. DIN standards include all fluids plus a full tank of fuel, but sometimes dry weights are quoted so it's hard to make a comparison. Also, many Euro manufacturers quote to the new ECE standard which includes a 75KG driver. Given the 991 GT3 weight savings in the engine, chassis, suspension, etc. quoted in the press release I just wonder if the RS3.8 weight you mention included a full tank and was an apples to apples comparison. 475HP should help make up the diff in any event!

Anyway, really enjoyed getting all of that info. Thanks again.
Curb weight goes above a 991 Carrera because of rear steering, larger fuel tank and mandatory PDK. The 991 GT3 is "only" 30Kg lighter than the 997.2 GT3 because of those factors and the Carrera GT seat is no longer road legal (no thorax side airbag) so the car has to be weighed with the sport seat.
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

410mm PCCB fronts! 410? Where's Savy?

380 for steel which means 18" ?
Old 03-04-2013, 04:18 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Looking at the car, it's left = down on the wheel, forward = down on the lever (which is the opposite of a sequential shifter "logic.")
The gearshift lever follows proper sequential logic (back to upshift/forward to downshift) but the left paddle upshift/right paddle downshift they mention is different, certainly from what it is now. I wonder if that's a typo?
Old 03-04-2013, 04:22 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

AP "promises" the steering feedback is on 996/997 levels.

Big promise and we are going to hold him on it.
The rear steer is a brushless electric motor (basically a "jack screw") on a rod that can move a total of 30 mm. That's over an inch of movement, which effectively "shortens" the wheelbase at low speeds (counter-steering, like a Honda Prelude from the late 80's ... famous for bumping the rump into walls and posts as people tried to maneuver, not realizing the car would arc outside it's turning circle.) and will negate the phase shift of high speed "lane change" maneuvers. I'm not liking any of that in terms of driving a 911, but it will make for a devilishly fast and stable car capable of rapid direction change, so it should be marvelously responsive to steering wheel input. At least, no PDCC. Swings and roundabouts, I guess.
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Curb weight goes above a 991 Carrera because of rear steering, larger fuel tank and mandatory PDK. The 991 GT3 is "only" 30Kg lighter than the 997.2 GT3 because of those factors and the Carrera GT seat is no longer road legal (no thorax side airbag) so the car has to be weighed with the sport seat.
The GT2 buckets have a thorax side airbag; they could have used those. I will be checking that order box....
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

shift lever has to be a typo.. hopefully.

To me, logically like all other cars, left lever is DOWN shift.. and right is UP shift...
Old 03-04-2013, 04:23 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,715 Likes on 910 Posts

The gearshift lever follows proper sequential logic (back to upshift/forward to downshift) but the left paddle upshift/right paddle downshift they mention is different, certainly from what it is now. I wonder if that's a typo?
UK press release. They drive on wrong side of the road and sit on wrong side of the car. Let's give Porsche the benefit of the doubt that they reverse it for normal parts of the world.
owng
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its official.New 991 GT3. http://press.porsche.com/news/pdf/13...-GT3_Final.pdf
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor

Isn't he the same maketing shill who also promised how wonderful the faux CL's are?

Yup. He had one shot for a BS moment and he played it that day.
I will definetely give him another shot though. I like the guy.
Besides, this is more important.

Remember, here in Rennlist (Doug's the pioneer) we figured out first how to ditch the CLs. Not sure we can pull a simillar stunt on the steering if it sucks (like the 991 one does f.e.)
Old 03-04-2013, 04:27 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,715 Likes on 910 Posts

"At speeds of up to 31 mph (50 km/h), the system steers the rear wheels into the opposite direction of the front wheels. The 911 GT3 enters the curve faster, which permits more dynamic cornering. The ‘virtual shortening’ of the wheelbase by around 150 millimetres also results in significant improvements in agility and everyday usability; the turning radius is reduced, and manoeuvring and parking become much easier.

At speeds above 50 mph (80 km/h), the system steers the rear wheels parallel to the front wheels. This results in a geometric virtual wheel extension of about 500 millimetres, thereby increasing stability particularly at high speeds. Simultaneously, the side force on the rear axle triggered by the steering input of the driver is built up much faster than with a non-steered rear axle, which leads to a more spontaneous and harmonious initiation of the change in direction."

Should make for some interestinng driving dynamics in corners where you transition through 50mph.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:29 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,390 Likes on 743 Posts

The rear steer is a brushless electric motor (basically a "jack screw") on a rod that can move a total of 30 mm. That's over an inch of movement, which effectively "shortens" the wheelbase at low speeds (counter-steering, like a Honda Prelude from the late 80's ... famous for bumping the rump into walls and posts as people tried to maneuver, not realizing the car would arc outside it's turning circle.) and will negate the phase shift of high speed "lane change" maneuvers. I'm not liking any of that in terms of driving a 911, but it will make for a devilishly fast and stable car capable of rapid direction change, so it should be marvelously responsive to steering wheel input. At least, no PDCC. Swings and roundabouts, I guess.
you
have
got
to
be
****ting
me

Who the heck thought this Rube Goldberg gizmo was appropriate for the ultimate sports car???
Old 03-04-2013, 04:34 PM
MirageJHU
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Someone above already pointed out, but if you watch the video the left paddle is marked with a '-' so hopefully that still means downshift
Old 03-04-2013, 04:34 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

410mm PCCB fronts! 410? Where's Savy?

380 for steel which means 18" ?
Hopefully a much better PCCB construction.
I have 396 Movits and they're unstoppable ... wait ... no ... um ... unbreakable ... aagh ... they're "good enough"?

410 seems preposterously oversized, and they're thicker, too, but this is an age of "nothing exceeds like excess" so here we go. If they make the PCCBs to last and they provide a track pad compound, I'll call it good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New 991 GT3 / Exclusive pics and information. The real deal & at last some good news!