Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 991 GT3 / Exclusive pics and information. The real deal & at last some good news!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 04:15 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Meh. Was hoping for something a little more dramatic. It's kind of plain. Not much different than current car.

20's and CL's? Boo!!! Oh well, can't please everyone. Saturday cars and coffee crowd will love it though!

I don't mind PDK.
+1 except PDK only, I do mind that there will not be a manual.

Cars and coffee car, that will draw cars and coffee crowd, and slower than moving chicane cup drivers with the Fiats and Lambo's. Porsche will have killed the GT3 with the release of this car. They might as well call it something else so that we can hope a real GT3 comes out down the line.

Porsche are now followers and no longer leaders. Trying to sell a Porarri.

20's, faux CL, no manual. Porsche reverse engineered the manual so they can do a BMW impression and slap the not quite a wholly engineered manual, PDK offspring in there if they don't get the response they want. It's BMW all over again.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:32 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911

Cars and coffee car, that will draw cars and coffee crowd, and slower than moving chicane cup drivers with the Fiats and Lambo's. Porsche will have killed the GT3 with the release of this car. They might as well call it something else so that we can hope a real GT3 comes out down the line.

20's, faux CL, no manual. Porsche reverse engineered the manual so they can do a BMW impression and slap the not quite a wholly engineered manual, PDK offspring in there if they don't get the response they want. It's BMW all over again.
Ridiculous.....
Old 02-18-2013, 04:39 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

The centre console looks horrible. The red reflectors near the tail pipes look horrible.

Hopefully there will be an option for 5 lug 19 inch wheels. Hopefully the PDK only choice will just be for the initial launch and we get a manual later.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:40 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Werd
Old 02-18-2013, 04:45 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 136 Posts

I don't have a lot of experience with PDK - -only a couple test drives - -but
if it's paddles only . . .why do they feel the need for the big gear selector stick in the console?
Old 02-18-2013, 04:48 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
I don't have a lot of experience with PDK - -only a couple test drives - -but
if it's paddles only . . .why do they feel the need for the big gear selector stick in the console?
My point exactly!! Get rid of it and clean up the center console. If you're going paddles, you don't need the center selector at all. Would be much cleaner looking.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:58 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by scott40
My point exactly!! Get rid of it and clean up the center console. If you're going paddles, you don't need the center selector at all. Would be much cleaner looking.
Since it appears the operation of the center stick has been reversed for this version of PDK, it give the driver the option to use the gearshift like the sequential gearbox in a Cup car. I don't see what the big deal is......
Old 02-18-2013, 04:58 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

I couldn't disagree more. Sure, I like manuals as well, but times change... And CL and 20s aren't really what we want, but you can switch to 19s, that's easy.

However, none of that matters next to a new motorsport engine with a 9k rpm redline!!! This is a lighter weight GT3 (remember 991 incorporates Aluminum), that will have all the benefits of the new chassis (front track and engine relatively moved forward -> better turn in). And the PDK you're complaining about is closer to what's in the racecars (maybe not mechanically at first because the cups need to catch up, but certainly in operation). And in terms of lap times, it's going to be passing 997.2 RS's all day. Coffee and cars? I think not.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:03 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Since it appears the operation of the center stick has been reversed for this version of PDK, it give the driver the option to use the gearshift like the sequential gearbox in a Cup car. I don't see what the big deal is......
Why in the world would you do that? One of the main points of paddle shifting is that you can keep your hands on the wheel and shift? It looks silly. It's a paddle shifting car. You don't need a center selector. You don't see that on the Fiats do you? No- there is a small button in the center to engage reverse. The rest is controlled with the paddles. I don't think the Cup versions are going to have that. If you're going paddles, go paddles.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:09 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,411 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by scott40
Because, like the faux centerlocks, it gives the wanna-bes and the cars & coffee crowd the impression that they are driving a "street legal Cup car".
Old 02-18-2013, 05:13 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Because, like the faux centerlocks, it gives the wanna-bes and the cars & coffee crowd the impression that they are driving a "street legal Cup car".
I personally think it's because it might appear to drastic to just drop it completely out. Some would freak out and not know how to drive the car. And there will be many who just put it in drive and go and forget paddle shifting ie. auto mode. You can sip your coffee that way.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:13 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Before you completely dismiss the 9A1 engine, way back when it was introduced someone posted a very detailed diagram of the engine and pointed out a couple of connectors which looked like they were for a dry sump. I suspect the "new" engine has a lot in common with the 9A1, especially since the PDK tranny is compatible.

Best,
Old 02-18-2013, 05:15 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, it's just taking up space. However, Ferrari puts a bunch of buttons on the steering wheel and porsche doesn't. So they put all of them on the center console so people in their panameras can say they have the same interior as a gt3
Old 02-18-2013, 05:17 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by jumper5836
The centre console looks horrible. The red reflectors near the tail pipes look horrible.
In another recent thread you said of the new Corvette that, "It looks amazing....." despite it's controversial and some would say just plain ugly rear end. Yet here you are repulsed by two red reflectors near the GT3's exhaust pipes. Almost makes me wonder about your objectivity....
Old 02-18-2013, 05:18 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

car and coffee I take stick
track I take PDk, f1 whatever they call it. drive a seq cup, u won't want H pattern on trk. he'll, I don't want that clutch either for up or down shift

Quick Reply: New 991 GT3 / Exclusive pics and information. The real deal & at last some good news!