Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 991 GT3 / Exclusive pics and information. The real deal & at last some good news!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 01:00 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Suspect the current 7sp manual linkage can be converted to sequential since it is already translating movements into triple-H pattern...which is what results in that slightly vague feeling. A neutral/disengage and skip-to-first shortcut would make it even more attractive. pete
Pete, I totally agree. We discussed this here last year and I am still thinking Porsche could to pull a surprise on us (a modified 'sequential' transmission) on the upcoming 991 RS! We will see.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...eculation.html

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 03-01-2013, 01:35 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Qoute:
"neverbeentherering"
priceless....
Old 03-01-2013, 02:39 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
You know what Chris, I think that I have criticized Porsche's marketing decision to implement these CL wheels in a street car enough, perhaps a bit more than enough.
They are by definition a silly idea to begin with.
No need for timed pit stops = no CLs. Period. No debate.

Furthermore, they are actually heavier, not so fast on a change, not bulletproof and we have them here today because someone made a research, probably suggesting that potential buyers would associate them with race cars from TV and, as a result, Porsche would sell 451,3 more cars per year or something equally disturbing.

I also happen to prefer a manual gearbox over a double clutch or F1 or any other autobox , any day of the week.
Since I am not racing, I don't really care to extract that last second. I just am a below average driver who enjoys the odd B roads and a few track days. No opponents , no winners. No absolute times. Feel over speed.

That being said, and because I kind of understand Porsche's reasoning behind those changes, at this point, I would have settled with both of these features that I loathe, as long as Porsche hadn't decided to save me. A fair exchange I think.

I don't want to be saved! not by Porsche , not by a government, not by the EU, not by a rule, not by anyone.

You want CLs? put them. I'll find a way to deal with it.

You want only PDK? Fine , give me one that does what I want all the time. I want to stall the car, allow me to make a fool of myself.
I want to accelerate in 7th gear from 11mph, let me die in that dual carriageway from the track coming from behind.

In the same spirit;
you want to compete with the GTR in electronics and gismos and the Prius in consumption? Excellent. Do that too, all the better, but please design , develop and build the car with these systems off.

Make it work better than before through pure mechanical advancement, better suspension, less weight, good geometry.

You also want this bloody self correcting electric steering to save the planet , put that one too.
Give me an option to turn it off and make it work with a flat algorithm. No changes in assistance, no help, no corrections, no pulses, nothing. Just fast enough and with some feel from the road if possible.

Put a big skull in a button , a 10 inches tall illuminated danger sign, and allow me to press it on demand.

Also make every single electronic system with an off button. Real off button. Put more danger signs. I like them.

Allow the buyer to choose if he will round the neverbeentherering in 7 minutes with all the systems on or will crash entering Antoniusbuche like an idiot.

Simple.

Now where's that liability waiver, where do I sign and please do make mine in black and with a race proven engine.

Thanks!
Perfectly put John...

Plenty of other variants already catering for those less interested in the driver involvement... Shame the GT cars may have to face a similar fate...
Old 03-01-2013, 11:43 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
Perfectly put John...

Plenty of other variants already catering for those less interested in the driver involvement... Shame the GT cars may have to face a similar fate...
exactly..

@John: please dont forget my private message to you the other day..regarding the user name issue..
thanks
Old 03-01-2013, 12:47 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Betcha they did not test those at Sebring, just like the current exhausts!!

Signs of things to come:

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...-exhaust-pipes
So exhaust tips that separate from the car are worthy of a recall, but not coolant nipples that separate on track, dumping antifreeze for others to encounter at full speed???
Old 03-01-2013, 01:04 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by fbirch
So exhaust tips that separate from the car are worthy of a recall, but not coolant nipples that separate on track, dumping antifreeze for others to encounter at full speed???
I don't what it means, but it's ludicrous -- just plain idiotic to have a "recall" and the fanfare of blogosphere all copying the news to hope for their click-thru's -- and not one of those blog news sites bothers to read the stuff they regurgitate and make that simple observation: "oh yeah, these cars will blow up and kill someone, but hell, it's a bit tatty to see one with a wobbly exhaust tip ..."
Old 03-01-2013, 01:13 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From Porsche press release:

"Porsche AG has not only begun the year particularly successful, but 2013 also marks the anniversary of the company's most iconic car: the Porsche 911 has for the last 50 years been equally at home on the racetrack as on the road. Its genetic DNA can be found in every other Porsche model. At over 820,000 units built, the 911 is the world’s most successful sports car ever. In addition to the anniversary, the International Motor Show in Geneva also provides a stage for two particularly sporty premieres on the Porsche stand in hall 1. The press conference on the stand takes place on March 5 at 10.45 CET.

The title ‘World Premiere’ truly applies here to the first appearance of an extremely exciting 911 model, which awaits with new engineering highlights, plus a whole lot more. The car’s driving dynamics and driving excitement are at an even higher level than before. For the Porsche 911 GT3 Cup this will be its first public unveiling. Delivering 460 hp, this single-make cup racer is the latest version of the car, which is, with a total of 2,400 units, the best-selling and most successful sports car in the world. The new 911 GT3 Cup is initially being deployed in the international Porsche Supercup 2013.

http://www.porsche.com/uk/aboutporsc...&id=2013-03-01
Old 03-01-2013, 02:00 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S
From Porsche press release:

"Porsche AG has not only begun the year particularly successful, but 2013 also marks the anniversary of the company's most iconic car: the Porsche 911 has for the last 50 years been equally at home on the racetrack as on the road. Its genetic DNA can be found in every other Porsche model. At over 820,000 units built, the 911 is the world’s most successful sports car ever. In addition to the anniversary, the International Motor Show in Geneva also provides a stage for two particularly sporty premieres on the Porsche stand in hall 1. The press conference on the stand takes place on March 5 at 10.45 CET.

The title ‘World Premiere’ truly applies here to the first appearance of an extremely exciting 911 model, which awaits with new engineering highlights, plus a whole lot more. The car’s driving dynamics and driving excitement are at an even higher level than before. For the Porsche 911 GT3 Cup this will be its first public unveiling. Delivering 460 hp, this single-make cup racer is the latest version of the car, which is, with a total of 2,400 units, the best-selling and most successful sports car in the world. The new 911 GT3 Cup is initially being deployed in the international Porsche Supercup 2013.

http://www.porsche.com/uk/aboutporsc...&id=2013-03-01
Thanks, I'm reading this as both the GT3 and GT3 cup.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:05 PM
mike2727
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jon70
+1
Old 03-01-2013, 02:05 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it means the Turbo and GT3 as it seems since they named the Cup, they would have named the GT3 as well if it were those two. That and the TT usually comes out before the GT3 and we have relatively little info on it. The Cup has premiered, it just hasn't been unveiled. If that makes any sense.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:12 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
I think it means the Turbo and GT3 as it seems since they named the Cup, they would have named the GT3 as well if it were those two. That and the TT usually comes out before the GT3 and we have relatively little info on it. The Cup has premiered, it just hasn't been unveiled. If that makes any sense.
You may be right and I hope you are.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:13 PM
mike2727
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wanna911
I think the TT/TTS will be Frankfurt in September, the GT3 and Cup in Geneva

Mike
Old 03-01-2013, 02:21 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 85 Posts

Thank god they sorted out the styling of that spoiler...
Old 03-01-2013, 02:31 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon70
+2

Originally Posted by mike2727
I think the TT/TTS will be Frankfurt in September, the GT3 and Cup in Geneva

Mike
+1
Old 03-01-2013, 02:56 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

PCNA has etched in stone
Nov delivery GT3
Dec delivery TT

THAT MAKES INTRODUCTION GENEVA

Frankfurt is too late for TT delivery in Dec

Quick Reply: New 991 GT3 / Exclusive pics and information. The real deal & at last some good news!