Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   New 991 GT3 / Exclusive pics and information. The real deal & at last some good news! (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/741313-new-991-gt3-exclusive-pics-and-information-the-real-deal-and-at-last-some-good-news.html)

Mike in CA 02-28-2013 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Macca (Post 10263036)
Please can you tell me which car configurator people believe the GT3 will first appear on? Is this the German one or the US one?

mike2727's post (#738) mentions the German configurator.....

mike2727 02-28-2013 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Macca (Post 10263036)
Please can you tell me which car configurator people believe the GT3 will first appear on? Is this the German one or the US one?

I read it on a German web-site, so I am assuming the German Porsche site, also because European deliveries will be happening before US deliveries

But it could as well mean that they have them simultaneously added on all sites, again this was on a for me unknown web-site that I got through Google, so not sure what to read in it

My assumption is that it will be next week Friday, since the official launch is next week, so it would make sense

I'll just check the German Porsche site every day, if it is there I will post it here

Mike

Manifold 02-28-2013 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Macca (Post 10263034)
On the subject of the manual transmission, I know two local owners that have now taken delivery of 7 speed 991S and one who has the 991S PDK. Both 7 speed manual owners have now tried the thirds PDK and have quietly confessed they wish they had have gone PDK. Remember all three are multiple Porsche owners (one also has manual 997TT & Cayman) and all three run their cars hard in DE, tarmac rally and gymkhana. However for all three the 991S is daily transport. here is a direct copy and past from one of them....

"The 991 has been great, it is really a big step up from the 997 in all sorts of ways, and especially the handling. My only regret was getting the manual as with 7 forward gears I’m finding it a bit much with a gate that has so many slots you sometimes get the wrong one."

Ive heard similar comments on other boards. Also many complain the gearbox is "vague" not as direct or enjoyable as the outgoing 997 manual box.

Sure, if we assume a whole new manual box for the 991 GT3RS then all good (assuming they can get rid of the overdrive gear and improve the feel of the box). But if the only option were PDK-S (remember no one here has tried it yet) or the current 7 speed manual then the decision I dont believe would be as clear cut as we would like to believe....

I haven't tracked a PDK, but I've tried it in spirited road driving. I was impressed with its automated shifting, using it in manual mode with the stick provides some of the satisfaction of a manual tranny, and using the paddles in manual mode also has functional benefits. And of course the automated mode can be nice when driving it in traffic.

But I still wonder if I wouldn't eventually crave a proper stick on the track, though I agree that 7 gears with a stick is one too many - my mental map doesn't like it!

aussie jimmy 02-28-2013 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor (Post 10263035)
or more likely Bed Bath & Beyond :roflmao:

crate and barrel :cool:

aussie jimmy 02-28-2013 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR (Post 10262397)
If the Porsche badges don't light up, I'm not interested in the 991, Porsche needs to keep up with the times:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjofI...layer_embedded

At least the first 46 seconds are nice to watch.

what is the world coming to????!!!!!
that is sickening.

people want to advertise so bad what they are driving.
i hope other manufacturers don't follow suit...

TRAKCAR 02-28-2013 08:33 PM

Too late, whever MB does the rest has 5 years later.

aussie jimmy 02-28-2013 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by 911SLOW (Post 10262489)
They are probably redesigning it after reading this thread. :icon107:

hahaha!

hope you are right...

it doesn't matter anyway, as there will always be more used 6's and 7's to choose from, then from there can move up to air-cooled antiques. :biggulp:

sunnyr 02-28-2013 08:36 PM

So some where in Stuttgart, there is a folder called - D:\Inetpub\PorscheWebsite\wwwroot\microsite\911gt3\germany.aspx. :).

http://www.porsche.com/microsite/911gt3/germany.aspx

ps. It could also be the just be the old one, cause there is also a http://www.porsche.com/microsite/911gt3rs/germany.aspx.

aussie jimmy 02-28-2013 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR (Post 10263110)
Too late, whever MB does the rest has 5 years later.

yes, that is true, although these days the competition moves much faster, so expect audi to be next...:surr:

stout 02-28-2013 08:52 PM

On the subject of the manual transmission, I know two local owners that have now taken delivery of 7 speed 991S and one who has the 991S PDK. Both 7 speed manual owners have now tried the thirds PDK and have quietly confessed they wish they had have gone PDK. Remember all three are multiple Porsche owners (one also has manual 997TT & Cayman) and all three run their cars hard in DE, tarmac rally and gymkhana. However for all three the 991S is daily transport. here is a direct copy and past from one of them....

"The 991 has been great, it is really a big step up from the 997 in all sorts of ways, and especially the handling. My only regret was getting the manual as with 7 forward gears I’m finding it a bit much with a gate that has so many slots you sometimes get the wrong one."

Ive heard similar comments on other boards. Also many complain the gearbox is "vague" not as direct or enjoyable as the outgoing 997 manual box.

Sure, if we assume a whole new manual box for the 991 GT3RS then all good (assuming they can get rid of the overdrive gear and improve the feel of the box). But if the only option were PDK-S (remember no one here has tried it yet) or the current 7 speed manual then the decision I dont believe would be as clear cut as we would like to believe....

Suspect the current 7sp manual linkage can be converted to sequential since it is already translating movements into triple-H pattern...which is what results in that slightly vague feeling.

A neutral/disengage and skip-to-first shortcut would make it even more attractive.

pete

zirrah 02-28-2013 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by sunnyr (Post 10263119)
So some where in Stuttgart, there is a folder called - D:\Inetpub\PorscheWebsite\wwwroot\microsite\911gt3\germany.aspx. :).

http://www.porsche.com/microsite/911gt3/germany.aspx

ps. It could also be the just be the old one, cause there is also a http://www.porsche.com/microsite/911gt3rs/germany.aspx.

Could be old, but at the least we can see that it's the same format as the current 911 so that link will eventually house the current GT3. :)

wanna911 02-28-2013 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by 911SLOW (Post 10262693)
You know what Chris, I think that I have criticized Porsche's marketing decision to implement these CL wheels in a street car enough, perhaps a bit more than enough.
They are by definition a silly idea to begin with.
No need for timed pit stops = no CLs. Period. No debate.

Furthermore, they are actually heavier, not so fast on a change, not bulletproof and we have them here today because someone made a research, probably suggesting that potential buyers would associate them with race cars from TV and, as a result, Porsche would sell 451,3 more cars per year or something equally disturbing.

I also happen to prefer a manual gearbox over a double clutch or F1 or any other autobox , any day of the week.
Since I am not racing, I don't really care to extract that last second. I just am a below average driver who enjoys the odd B roads and a few track days. No opponents , no winners. No absolute times. Feel over speed.

That being said, and because I kind of understand Porsche's reasoning behind those changes, at this point, I would have settled with both of these features that I loathe, as long as Porsche hadn't decided to save me. A fair exchange I think.

I don't want to be saved! not by Porsche , not by a government, not by the EU, not by a rule, not by anyone.

You want CLs? put them. I'll find a way to deal with it.

You want only PDK? Fine , give me one that does what I want all the time. I want to stall the car, allow me to make a fool of myself.
I want to accelerate in 7th gear from 11mph, let me die in that dual carriageway from the track coming from behind.

In the same spirit;
you want to compete with the GTR in electronics and gismos and the Prius in consumption? Excellent. Do that too, all the better, but please design , develop and build the car with these systems off.

Make it work better than before through pure mechanical advancement, better suspension, less weight, good geometry.

You also want this bloody self correcting electric steering to save the planet , put that one too.
Give me an option to turn it off and make it work with a flat algorithm. No changes in assistance, no help, no corrections, no pulses, nothing. Just fast enough and with some feel from the road if possible.

Put a big skull in a button , a 10 inches tall illuminated danger sign, and allow me to press it on demand.

Also make every single electronic system with an off button. Real off button. Put more danger signs. I like them.

Allow the buyer to choose if he will round the neverbeentherering in 7 minutes with all the systems on or will crash entering Antoniusbuche like an idiot.

Simple.

Now where's that liability waiver, where do I sign and please do make mine in black and with a race proven engine.

Thanks!

Excellent post.....

FFaust 02-28-2013 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by wanna911 (Post 10263281)
Excellent post.....

Fully agree, and it unfortunately applies to more and more things in life. We aren't supposed/allowed to think and act for ourselves anymore, to take responsibility for our actions.

Guest89 02-28-2013 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by stout (Post 10263153)
Suspect the current 7sp manual linkage can be converted to sequential since it is already translating movements into triple-H pattern...which is what results in that slightly vague feeling.

A neutral/disengage and skip-to-first shortcut would make it even more attractive.

pete

The new 7 speed manual is not G50-derived, unlike the tranny in the 997 GT3 variants, which I believe has steel synchros and an external cooler. A clutch pedal and a gearstick aren't enough for me - it needs exceptional feel and weighting, just like the existing GT3. If it's a half-hearted manual (like the E60 M5), then it's not a fair shake.

Terry L 02-28-2013 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by 911SLOW (Post 10262508)
Notwithstanding Bangle's polarizing passage from BMW, LED lights on cars for fancy decoration purposes must be the worst thing ever to hit the automotive design scene over the last century.

A led lighted Merc star is a crime against humanity.

No, a crime against humility.