Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 991 GT3 / Exclusive pics and information. The real deal & at last some good news!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 12:43 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
But what happens when say you want to leave it in 5th. out of T17 or 4th. in T11 because you cant put the pwoer down one gear down and you need to shift where you dont :
You can power out of t17 in 4th....no problem but 3rd gear is much better for my car. 4th I think I'm around 4-4300rpm or so and 3rd in around 5000rpm for better power.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:49 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
I would go on record and claim that I have more track time with PDK than anyone in these forums and probably anyone in the USA.

Just so you all that don't know me...I drive PDK because 10 years ago I was hit by a on coming car while on my motorcycle and my entire left leg had to be amputated. I wear a prosthetic but am unable to,push a clutch pedal. So PDK allows me to enjoy a Porsche.

You can track drive with PDK in manual or auto mode. Even in auto mode in Sport Chrono Plus you can over ride PDK with the paddles or stick shift on the console and choose a gear. However after a few laps its hard to out think PDK. Porsche nailed PDK programing on the track!

In manual mode as long as you DO NOT press the accelerator pedal pass the kick down button PDK will stay and bounce off red line...just like a manual. Press the throttle down and click the button...(you can easily feel the harder press to press the button under the throttle pedal) then PDK will upshift to higher gear at red line. Also if in manual mode and in a high gear and you come to a stop or slow way down past optimal rpm range PDK will down shift. Why stall the car?...that would be stupid.

I drive PDK on the track mostly in auto mode and down shift manually when needed. This is basically the same thing guys are doing in the latest PDK Cayman race cars and how Porsche factory instructor Chris Hall drove my car. I've tried full manual and full auto for years. I've been driving PDK on the track since August 2008.
Thanks Mike!
I did not know about the kick down button / position. I'm affraid that would not work for me, scared is brake pedal through the floor, not scared it throttle pedal through the floor, that's why I need to be able to short shift in PDK lol.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:50 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

You can power out of t17 in 4th....no problem but 3rd gear is much better for my car. 4th I think I'm around 4-4300rpm or so and 3rd in around 5000rpm for better power.
Yeah, sure completely different gearing, just sayin' as examples.
Hope you feel better!
Old 02-20-2013, 12:54 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I like it But; for the track I think the bRZ falls apart, as a DD I think it muct be a blast, you dont even need the STI one..
I can confirm that it's a blast as a DD. I don't know if it falls apart at the track, but it will definitely be passed by everyone and everything. I'll find out for myself soon enough...

As far as the new 991GT3 goes, I'm not a fan of the 20" wheels or CL either. I'm neutral on the PDK. My real concern on the PDK is repair work. Nobody seems to know how to repair these things, so they just replace the whole thing when something goes wrong. This, and the fun of heel/toe would be my reason to prefer a manual. 9k redline sounds like fun too.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:57 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
One is more than ZERO racing on 20's. None of those series is racing PDK either are they?

You really think people will be racing on 20's, or are you just arguing for the sake of it?

Clearly you need to visit the track more (NOW, not 45 years ago) and see who's driving around with dual clutches in GT-R's, Fiat's, Lambos, heck even M3's and Evo's. The fastest guys pretty much always show up in manuals. Of course there will be some exceptions, but by and large that remains the case. There are crappy drivers in every make of car with every form of transmission, another useless point. People looking for the easiest way to get around the track quickly usually to not put the effort into learning the other parts of the craft that make them a good, quick driver. Hence the result. It's no different than the gun analogy that the guys with bolt actions will most always be more accurate than the guys running around with assault rifles. They have to.

I'm sure you and all of your hypothetical buddies can drive circles around me since you've been driving for 45 years. But until you show some credentials, it's just talk. Let's hear some lap times from your speedster buddies for reference. You could easily put all of this to rest with some cold hard lap times from you and your PDK buds............. any time you are ready. There is plenty of manual ammunition to go around.
You've missed the point. What I said was, it's ironic that you were knocking 20's for not being part of pro motorsport (FIA GT, LeMans, ALMS, etc, were your examples) at the same time that you were praising MT's which, despite the fact that one or two pro classes might still be using them, are as dead at the top levels of racing as 20" wheels currently are. What amatuer DE and time trial guys are using at the track today isn't really relevant to your assertion about pro racing, now is it?

I'll leave it to you to make claims about your prowess with a MT or any other transmission at the track. I'm sure you're awesome. My point, however, was that most people driving PDK have had a lot of experience driving manuals both on the street and track, and some were damn good at it, so your pejorative comments about the type of driver PDK would attract were uninformed, or at the least way too general. More than that, while you're entitiled to your opinions, there's no reason to be insulting in your comments about PDK (or anything else), as you and others have been. Maybe it makes you feel better about yourself to do that, but when you've matured a bit more you'll understand that it's counterproductive.

This PDK/MT argument has been beaten to death. My apologies to all for extending it.....

Last edited by Mike in CA; 02-20-2013 at 03:28 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-20-2013, 01:06 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But what happens when say you want to leave it in 5th. out of T17 or 4th. in T11 because you cant put the pwoer down one gear down and you need to shift where you dont want to shift? I know the shifts a svelte but still..
You are underestimating the PDK. Here's how it works in real-life:

Press "Sport Plus" button.
Drive on track.

Rinse/repeat.

Manually shifting a PDK is just mental masturbation. Do it only if you are bored or want to go slower. No joke. Between a C4S SPASM and the Spyder I've got 10-12 track days in a PDK. It's great and you can't decide better than it can what gear to be in or when to shift.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:06 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I can confirm that it's a blast as a DD. I don't know if it falls apart at the track, but it will definitely be passed by everyone and everything. I'll find out for myself soon enough...

As far as the new 991GT3 goes, I'm not a fan of the 20" wheels or CL either. I'm neutral on the PDK. My real concern on the PDK is repair work. Nobody seems to know how to repair these things, so they just replace the whole thing when something goes wrong. This, and the fun of heel/toe would be my reason to prefer a manual. 9k redline sounds like fun too.
Yeah, I hear you but it is the slow in traffic, parking lots where PDK is not as refined as I like it to be. Durability should be OK, if not it is warranty, I mean it is not like you can money shift it.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:08 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

My salesman left me a voicemail yesterday to inform me that there was new information on Rennlist about the 991 GT3 that was beyond what he had previously heard. Obviously word is getting around on the scoop. More kudos to RL!
Old 02-20-2013, 01:09 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by savyboy

Drive on track.

Rinse/repeat.

Manually shifting a PDK is just mental masturbation. Do it only if you are bored or want to go slower. No joke. Between a C4S SPASM and the Spyder I've got 10-12 track days in a PDK. It's great and you can't decide better than it can what gear to be in or when to shift.
Are you than saying I will have to learn to modulate the throttle in the right gear, instead of short shifting and mashing the pedal? Is it really that smooth that if I am already sliding and rotating the car and barely hanging on, I can shift over bumps?
Old 02-20-2013, 01:10 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,412 Likes on 754 Posts

In manual mode as long as you DO NOT press the accelerator pedal pass the kick down button PDK will stay and bounce off red line...just like a manual. Press the throttle down and click the button...(you can easily feel the harder press to press the button under the throttle pedal) then PDK will upshift to higher gear at red line.
Too effing complicated in a way only Germans could do.

Even the Italians got it: the driver chooses a gear, and the car stays in it, regardless of throttle position, regardless of RPM's.

This over-engineering complex bull**** without purpose is just like the CL's: over-engineering complex bull**** without purpose.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:11 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Are you than saying I will have to learn to modulate the throttle in the right gear, instead of short shifting and mashing the pedal? Is it really that smooth that if I am already sliding and rotating the car and barely hanging on, I can shift over bumps?
Yes. Believe me, it is true. It is awesome and it never upsets the car during up or down shifts. It is crazy good.

PS- if somehow it is in the wrong gear, it can bust up or down a gear in a flash.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:17 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,412 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy

Drive on track.

Rinse/repeat.

Is this what this forum has become? Fan boys for an automatic transmission?

Wow.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:22 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
What amatuer DE and time trial guys are using at the track today isn't really relevant to your assertion about pro racing, now is it?
Great point, but I think most of us harbor the illusion of pro level talent

As an owner of a dual-clutch car and a couple of MT cars, both types are great fun to drive, but there is no denying the shift speed, perfect rev matching, and over rev protection of a dual-clutch.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:25 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor

Wow.
Lol...

I'm a fan boy for solutions that work well and offer value.

Be they PDK, no-lift paddle-shift Hewland FTR sequential, or a floor-shifted h-pattern six speed.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:26 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor

Wow.
+1 Seriously. For the VAST majority, tracking is in the form of DE! There is no prize (at least not at mine). Call me illogical, but when I go, I want to have the most fun for my $1k+ three day event. Driving around in automatic? LOL. I will just stay home. If you are hardcore about racing and want to win with PDK...go racing! Guess I just need to spend more time with Club racing and SCCA? JMO.

Quick Reply: New 991 GT3 / Exclusive pics and information. The real deal & at last some good news!