Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   New 991 GT3 / Exclusive pics and information. The real deal & at last some good news! (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/741313-new-991-gt3-exclusive-pics-and-information-the-real-deal-and-at-last-some-good-news.html)

Mike in CA 05-31-2013 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Nizer (Post 10504128)
Regarding Porsche standing behind the products they sell, an emphatic yes in terms of the RS.

I'm honestly sorry to hear that; it must be very disillusioning.

Nick 05-31-2013 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Nizer (Post 10503647)
Check. Take the time; do the search.

Conversely, I can't understand why so many are so easily deceived by marketing.

Did someone other than you post this? :confused:

Macca 05-31-2013 06:19 PM

Guys,

Another thread submerses itself into a war of egos and opinion genuflecting themselves into BS hyperbole and rhetoric.

People should read the title on the thread more often.

Not that you'll miss me but Im retiring from the 991 GT3 board as I now have gathered enough "facts" by speaking with those "at the coal face" and being in possession of all of the technical documentation I could possibly need to feel safe and secure in my decision to purchase this car and that it will be the best GT3 to date in so many ways that I suspect there will be some considerable embarrassment here by many when the truths are revealed.

If half the people here spent a third of their time seeking the facts on the car rather than bashing each other over the head with BS rhetoric on warranties, bucket seats and pointless "fit for purpose" discussions then they too would have actually learnt something about this product and contributed in the spirit of the threads title.

In the meantime and as I say Im 100% satisfied and convinced that the 991 GT3 will be a most brilliant product that will shape the future of what we expect from a GT3/RS Porsche car.

I wish Mike, Frayed and others the best in defending the virtues of a product that no one has driven. You guys will be rewarded in the end and I suspect the rush to the dealer will be too late by the time this car breaks cover in the magazines by early August. Either that or you can all laugh at me and tell me to eat my hat.

Hopefully Ill rejoin the board in a few months when the first auto tests come out. Having now collected every piece of data I possibly can on the new car there is nothing more I need to know about this car until someone drives it. AP was right. In the end...

PS. Caio!

JUST SHUT UP AND DRIVE IT!

Nick 05-31-2013 06:26 PM

What do they mean by market launch? Delivery, production or something else?

Mike in CA 05-31-2013 06:48 PM

First of all.....Macca don't go! Your voice of reason will be missed, even if it's hopefully just for a short while. Cheers, mate!

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 10504187)
What do they mean by market launch? Delivery, production or something else?

I take it to mean when the first deliveries will begin.

997TTMeteor 05-31-2013 07:15 PM

Man, some of you guys really don’t have any love for Porsche these days, huh? In Porsche’s defense, 997’s have been incredibly reliable overall, and the 2 dealers in my local area stand behind the cars 100% knowing they are regularly (and sometimes exclusively) used on racetracks. I’m aware of the coolant hose issue (I replace my coolant with water every summer as a precaution) and the CL issue was not handled well by Porsche (and I personally think CL’s are pointless – I’d rather have 5-lugs for many reasons) – but come on – these cars are generally ROCK SOLID, especially considering how bloody hard many of us drive them. I drive my 997.1 Turbo very hard at the track. Sometimes several hundred on-track kms in a day in very high temps and I have had only a couple of very small issues in five long track seasons. And it’s my DD. And I drive it through Canadian winters. And I have many, many friends with 997’s (mainly GT variants) – and our cars are, for the most part rock-solid. Every event, I see other marques in the pits having to cool down or leaving on a flatbed. I am never one of those guys. I value Porsche engineering and trust my car to run hard, fast, safely and reliably all day at the track and still get me home in relative comfort – which is often several hours from the track that I just ran at.

hf1 05-31-2013 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Macca (Post 10504174)
You guys will be rewarded in the end and I suspect the rush to the dealer will be too late by the time this car breaks cover in the magazines by early August. Either that or you can all laugh at me and tell me to eat my hat.

Third option is you wait for 6-7 years and, if they are the bees knees, you buy a clean one for $60k, or, if they suck, you don't.

GrantG 05-31-2013 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by hf1 (Post 10504339)
Third option is you wait for 6-7 years and, if they are the bees knees, you buy a clean one for $60k, or, if they suck, you don't.

That's an excellent point. If this new "Digital" GT3 is great, subsequent versions are likely to improve upon them significantly further (PDK will improve, electric steering will improve, PASM, E-Diff, and RWS tuning will also improve).

So, even if this car is better than anyone hopes, it's unlikely to hold its value especially well. Unless, production numbers are controlled (and there seems to be no need nor desire to do this with the engines being built on the main assembly line and VW trying to maximize profits).

destaccado 05-31-2013 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 10503821)
I haven't participated on the forum for quite awhile. I again started to visit the site when I decided to buy the GT3. As a result, I know little about you and your car ownership. Do you own a Porsche? If so, which model?

My reasons for asking are your posts insinuate that those of us buying the GT3 or any Porsche are naive and being or have been duped by Porsche. Are you one of us?:confused:

Hilarious that a guy whose post history shows one of complete disdain for Porsche until the very recent past is questioning a guy who owns an 11' GT3 Cup car about being "one of us"...:roflmao:

sunnyr 05-31-2013 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by GrantG (Post 10504357)
That's an excellent point. If this new "Digital" GT3 is great, subsequent versions are likely to improve upon them significantly further (PDK will improve, electric steering will improve, PASM, E-Diff, and RWS tuning will also improve).

As some one who had (still has) a deposit on 991 GT3, but bought a 997.2 GT3 last week that was one of the factors. It wasn't an easy or simple decision and there were many reasons but one them was exactly that - that there will all always be a faster and better PDK-ized GT3 going forward that I could get if I wanted. But the 997.2 GT3 will always be the last of the kind, so when the perfect 997.2 came along, I just couldn't pass on it.

ps. I don't mean to for a second imply the 991 GT3 will be a bad car or mean to rain on the people excitedly waiting for it - which I feel some here are unfortunately doing :icon501: (perhaps inadvertently out of their own disappointment). I am still excited about the 991 GT3 and waiting for the reviews to start. I am sure it will be an awesome car in it's own way.

Nick 05-31-2013 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by destaccado (Post 10504370)
Hilarious that a guy whose post history shows one of complete disdain for Porsche until the very recent past is questioning a guy who owns an 11' GT3 Cup car about being "one of us"...:roflmao:

You must be reading challenged. Basically Nizer (does the fact he owns a Cup car make him smarter than us?) insinuated that those of us buying 991 GT3's are boobs because we are falling for the marketing hype. Well isn't he one of us if he bought the hype by buying a RS and then a CUP car to boot? Isn't he one of us BOOBS?:banghead:

Finally, I acknowledge I had my issues with Porsche years ago but I am open minded enough to change my opinion.:bigbye: