Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 private party sale - Is Escrow a new scam ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 12:48 AM
Pmorritt
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

Just to add. If a buyer of a high end car is not willing to to spend a few bucks to fly over to the seller, inspect and go to local sellers bank and settle up then walk away. You obviously feel uncomfortable so let your gut be your guide.
The following users liked this post:
Perimeter (07-19-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 02:13 AM
silvertige
Pro

Received 195 Likes on 118 Posts

Total scam in my book... although I'm sure the buyer thinks its all on the level. What seller would move forward with those terms? It's completely in the buyer's favor. The reality is that it's a private sale, out of state, which means someone is going to have to trust the other at some point.

Wire transfers are really the only fool proof way to sell a car. I do understand why a buyer may be hesitant, however. But I've bought and sold multiple cars out of state, and the crazy part is they've all been sight unseen. Dealers and private party... all wired funds. Granted, these were for cars 75k or less, not quite the 160k + GT cars. And, clearly the market shrinks with wire transfers (Just ask Mooty!) I've learned to use consignment services, which to me is a good balance between what I could get as private sale vs. a dealer trade in.
Perimeter (07-19-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 02:31 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Walk. Too much drama.
Perimeter (07-19-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 08:22 AM
TAch Miami
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Nothing wrong with a trusted third intermediary helping out the deal, be it a dealer or an escrow business. The problem with that escrow.com example is that the deal stipulations and conditions for releasing the money to the seller are extremely biased against him. Who ships their car across the country then waits for buyer to inspect it and like it before money is released? And if buyer doesn't like it or simply changes his mind for whatever reason, then seller is on the hook for transporting his own car back?! Right. Not to mention that risk and liability for the initial transport should be fully with the buyer as he should be transporting what is already his own car, not the seller's.

How does buying/selling through a dealer work exactly? How much does it typically cost?
This is known as an “in and out”. The dealer is more likely to do it if the seller is buying a car from him and the seller has someone to buy his car instead of trading it in. Administration fees will vary. The transportation return costs by the buyer should be conditions of the escrow as well as a verification that escrow.com is actually being used.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:00 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 996 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by n2cars

I wouldn't touch this deal with a ten foot pole. Even if the check clears with your bank it doesn't mean the check is legit.
Sadly, I've heard of this, too. I don't know what a perfect solution is, but the escrow account makes me nervous.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:36 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

The buyer should always have the opportunity to view the car in person and have a PPI at their own expense whenever reasonable. However, when they opt not to do this, than it's on them to trust the seller and hope for the best.
Perimeter (07-19-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 09:49 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 929 Likes on 533 Posts

escrow.com is not a scam
my friend used it while transferring a lease to another party with 8 k incentive
it made both parties feel more secure about transaction and the fees were minimal
Old 07-18-2019, 05:06 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by RLNTL3S
Heard stories of a new scam that the check actually cashes, and then a day or two later all of the money is withdrawn and plus some. No freaking clue how this scam works, but it is alive and well.

I would only sell through a dealer in a situation like this. Unless, you walk into the bank with the buyer and have them make out a certified check on the spot.
+1
Old 07-18-2019, 05:48 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

I'm surprised at all of the responses about it being a scam and you shouldn't ever do it. Escrow is to protect both parties. I understand shipping a car and not wanting to deal with shipping it back. But then the terms for escrow should reflect something to remedy that. For example, the buyer organizes an inspection before the car gets on a truck and if everything is ok then the escrow is released. With a legit escrow source you know you will be getting your money and the buyer knows they are getting the car. Then the car should be insured by the buyer for the trip to them and the seller is happy with their money and the buyer knows they had a good car when the car went on the transport. I don't see what the big deal is if it's all legit.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:02 PM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 649 Likes on 387 Posts

You likely have all you need to formulate a good decision. The method of payment isn't the problem it's the buyer. Of course it makes zero sense to ship the car without the person performing more due diligence to determine if it meets his expectations. He can ask someone on here to look at it, etc. There are so many ways to easily handle the PPI as you were willing to accommodate. To simply propose to ship the car and if I approve when I see it is laughable. This isn't an amazon t-shirt. Good luck in your sale!
Perimeter (07-19-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 11:17 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 263 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by maspirito
Have the money wired end of story.
Yes....you and the buyer are sitting inside the bank (with the car outside) and your banker says the wire hit your account.

Cashier’s checks and money orders are not safe enough for me, at least for larger denominations.
Perimeter (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 01:06 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Agreed, Escrow.com is not a scam as a basic business model. But since it has the flexibility for the user to write in their own Escrow requirements, it's favortism is open ended. In this case these terms give my asset and Control of that asset to the buyer with leveraged return costs placed on me should the deal fall through.

A PPI was scheduled and the dealer evaluation at last month's service had already been given to the buyer.
My offer to buy him a free round trip, First Class ticket on my dime with no hitches was my way of calling him out on the deal

Originally Posted by pitt911
escrow.com is not a scam
my friend used it while transferring a lease to another party with 8 k incentive
it made both parties feel more secure about transaction and the fees were minimal

Originally Posted by mwar99
I'm surprised at all of the responses about it being a scam and you shouldn't ever do it. Escrow is to protect both parties. I understand shipping a car and not wanting to deal with shipping it back. But then the terms for escrow should reflect something to remedy that. For example, the buyer organizes an inspection before the car gets on a truck and if everything is ok then the escrow is released. With a legit escrow source you know you will be getting your money and the buyer knows they are getting the car. Then the car should be insured by the buyer for the trip to them and the seller is happy with their money and the buyer knows they had a good car when the car went on the transport. I don't see what the big deal is if it's all legit.

Originally Posted by CubsFan1
You likely have all you need to formulate a good decision. The method of payment isn't the problem it's the buyer. Of course it makes zero sense to ship the car without the person performing more due diligence to determine if it meets his expectations. He can ask someone on here to look at it, etc. There are so many ways to easily handle the PPI as you were willing to accommodate. To simply propose to ship the car and if I approve when I see it is laughable. This isn't an amazon t-shirt. Good luck in your sale!
Originally Posted by Pmorritt
Just to add. If a buyer of a high end car is not willing to to spend a few bucks to fly over to the seller, inspect and go to local sellers bank and settle up then walk away. You obviously feel uncomfortable so let your gut be your guide.
Exactly!
Old 07-19-2019, 05:36 PM
tubwreck
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
+1
If you are receiving funds through a wire transfer, open a separate account at your bank to receive the funds. Once the funds have been received, transfer them to a different account at the same bank (e.g. your "regular" account). This prevents a particular type of scam where the person who wired the funds initiates an ACH transfer out of the same account into which the funds were wired.

Keep in mind that a wire transfer is initiated by the sender of the funds, an ACH transfer -- like a personal check or most online payments -- is initiated by the recipient of the funds.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:50 PM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

If they want to use an escrow service, here is how I would handle it:

1) buyer pays for shipping
2) buyer pays $5,000 non-refundable fee (seller can use part of the funds to bring the car back home if it is refused). Paid via wire, not escrow. Emphasis on "non-refundable".
3) car is inspected, and picked up by the same shipper that got it there; this needs to be done immediately (i.e buyer does not get to joyride the car for a week while deciding).

Simply insisting on a non-refundable deposit for a sizable amount will weed out any bad actors or any flakes. Nobody is going to want to see their $5,000 wasted on a car they really didn't want, yet it still protects the buyer, as most would rather dump $5k over taking possession of a really poor example that needs a lot of help.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:52 PM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tubwreck
If you are receiving funds through a wire transfer, open a separate account at your bank to receive the funds. Once the funds have been received, transfer them to a different account at the same bank (e.g. your "regular" account). This prevents a particular type of scam where the person who wired the funds initiates an ACH transfer out of the same account into which the funds were wired.

Keep in mind that a wire transfer is initiated by the sender of the funds, an ACH transfer -- like a personal check or most online payments -- is initiated by the recipient of the funds.
How can someone who is not the account holder initiate a transfer of funds out of the account? That is the same as someone breaking into my bank and emptying my account. If they can do that, why would they bother to "sell" a car? Why not just break into the bank's database and transfer funds?

Quick Reply: GT3 private party sale - Is Escrow a new scam ?