Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 private party sale - Is Escrow a new scam ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 01:59 PM
odwa
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by maspirito
Have the money wired end of story.
Have sold a couple GT's across country, only way it works for me is to have funds wired to your account prior to sale.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:13 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Thanks,

Yes it was Escrow.com but the terms completely favored the Del Ray, FL buyer - I countered with an offer to buy a first class plane ticket for the buyer after the PPI - but he repeated his response of "no time"

I'm old enough to have seen enough stories of dissappointed buyers who buy high end exotics sight unseen across the country and it ends up as a clusterf* all the way around - nobody ends up happy
I declined the sale but am open to new ideas if the industry is changing, just like I welcome PPIs
Old 07-17-2019, 02:17 PM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Perimeter
Thanks,

Yes it was Escrow.com but the terms completely favored the Del Ray, FL buyer - I countered with an offer to buy a first class plane ticket for the buyer after the PPI - but he repeated his response of "no time"

I'm old enough to have seen enough stories of dissappointed buyers who buy high end exotics sight unseen across the country and it ends up as a clusterf* all the way around - nobody ends up happy
I declined but my spidey sense still piqued. Googling the buyer's name ended up with that name and the word "criminal report" in the results Not clear why, and no guarantee of anything nefarious but it caught my eye
I think you have more than enough flags present to walk away from the transaction.

The decline of a generous offer for 1st class tix strikes me.
The following users liked this post:
Napoli (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 02:24 PM
Jpacione
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Wired funds or through a dealer. Might be legit, but if it makes you uneasy (it would in my case) then why do it that way? You have what the buyer wants. Just negotiate a different way. If he/she is unwilling, that would raise a big red flag.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:31 PM
AllAboutThatP
Burning Brakes

Received 556 Likes on 277 Posts

I've used escrow.com as a buyer, but not on a high end car. I thought it worked well as the buyer.

However, as a seller on a high end car, and the way this buyer is acting I think you are wise to decline the sale and wait for someone else.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:45 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Favors buyer way too much. I'd do some other way or keep trying to sell
subshooter (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 02:53 PM
dewilmoth
Pro

Received 151 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by kahane18
DO NOT SHIP THE CAR UNTIL THE CHECK CASHES
Nope! Checks are easy to claw back, even certified checks. Wire only! There is no excuse to do anything else, wiring is very easy and once it's in your account it can't be removed.
Napoli (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 03:18 PM
s2kmunop
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dewilmoth
Nope! Checks are easy to claw back, even certified checks. Wire only! There is no excuse to do anything else, wiring is very easy and once it's in your account it can't be removed.
See that's the problem as a buyer. A wire is great for the seller as the money is in their account and it can't be removed. But now you have no money, no car, and you have to hope the seller is trust worthy.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:31 PM
s2kmunop
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Perimeter
Thanks,

I declined the sale but am open to new ideas if the industry is changing, just like I welcome PPIs
Well I'm not sure how he would be able to scam you using Escrow.com but if you didn't feel comfortable with the buyer it's better you declined. Personally I always fly or drive to inspect the car in person but Florida to Arizona? does take some time flying there and back so I can understand saying he didn't have time. Being in Nevada, if I was buying from Florida I would just have the car shipped sight unseen, but I would also require the use of an escrow company to protect myself.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:32 PM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 149 Posts

When I bought my GT3, the previous owner (seller) insisted that the money be cleared in his account before he would release the car even if I paid with a certified check (From a sellers perspective I dont blame him). From a buyer perspective though I was not going to pay him the money and then not have the car in my possession. Since we banked at the same bank (big national bank brand), we went in and basically did a cash "withdraw" from my account for the full amount, and then directly deposited the "cash" into his account. Since cash clears immediately into bank accounts this was a way that worked for both of us.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:27 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

In wouldn't even ware my time on emailing him back
subshooter (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 04:41 PM
iphilips
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

Just do what the dealers do to us. Ask for a good faith deposit and increase the purchase price. We all know that real buyers will pay ADM 😋

But seriously, if you don't like the terms of the deal and you can walk away then state or negotiate new terms. If they don't like it, let them walk. You're not in this as a business and need to maintain a relationship. You want a safe and fair transaction.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:42 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 93 Posts

Walk. Dealing with this type of guy will take years off your life.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:47 PM
9972RS
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

why not sell via a dealer for nominal fee?
Old 07-17-2019, 06:48 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 109 Posts

No offense to the good people in South Florida (of which there are many), but having lived there I would be very wary of anything that seems wonky - it probably is! Lots of smart, unscrupulous folks down there that are great at taking advantage of people.
Midtowner (07-18-2019)

Quick Reply: GT3 private party sale - Is Escrow a new scam ?