Sponsored by:

Might Buy an almost never driven .1RS

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 04:41 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 413 Likes on 257 Posts
Default Might Buy an almost never driven .1RS

Have my eyes on a next to never driven .1RS at an independent dealer. There’s only a few months of factory warranty left best I can tell from the Carfax. Any recommendations on possible extended warranty or just go without?

Also, it’s no doubt been sitting in a VIP flipper’s garage for four years on I’m sure all the original fluids, so right off the bat, I think I will want to change out the oil and brake fluid. Maybe coolant as well? What else will need to be done?

Still should do some sort of basic PPI even with less than 500 miles on it??

Any other advice or thoughts? Never considered buying a brand new four year old car before. What a crazy world we live in!

Old 07-15-2019, 05:51 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

All I can say personally is I bought a 2014 991.1 50th with 3.5k miles on the clock earlier this year, and as soon as I took delivery I dropped my car off for new MPS4S (was still on the original P0) as well as the 4 year major service just to not take any chances

Sure did sting and some suggested I could bypass it/didn't need it, but had it done anyway for peace of mind
Old 07-15-2019, 05:53 PM
s996
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Sounds like you might’ve found the perfect car. Is that an independent Porsche dealer or just a regular car dealer?
There should be at least a year of factory warranty remaining but I would not buy one from a dealer without full CPO.

Brake fluid flush and oil change, even at the dealer are going to be less than $500 .

It’s the two-year warranty addition of cpo that makes it worth the dealer tax instead of the price break you can get from an individual sale.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:24 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 130 Posts

Go for it. The 991.1 GT3 RS is bulletproof. I miss my 991.1 GT3RS, I like my 991.2 GT3RS both the look from the .1 was better, and its street manners much nicer.

The 991.1 GT3RS has a true motorsports engine, it was the engine used in the GT3-R (the FIA-GT3 spec race car). It revs to 8500rpm (8800 in 1st gear, and you're never in 1st gear on a racetrack), so lower rpms help with engine longevity.

There is hardly a better car for the money and the mileage today for track use.
The following 2 users liked this post by A/S:
KOTYKB (07-28-2019), Surgio (07-16-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 06:35 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

Be careful. Was just at my dealer who had a 1300 mile 2016 GT3 that had been sitting for over a year. No, or very low mileage, depending on the age of the car is not always a good thing. Gaskets dry up and are prone to failure, in this case a transmission seal failed and the tranny was dropped and waiting on seal replacement...a pretty big job. Tech commented that letting them sit is the worse thing that can happen to these cars....they were meant to be driven.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:36 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 993 Likes on 527 Posts

Inspect the tires closely for dry rotting. Four year old rubber degenerates and could be an expensive flat if it happens at the wrong time.

Yes, buying a low mileage car can be a great find. Got my GT3 with 5,500 miles at $26K below sticker with a CPO warranty. I hope you get it and have a blast!

Post pictures when you do.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:46 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by A/S
Go for it. The 991.1 GT3 RS is bulletproof. I miss my 991.1 GT3RS, I like my 991.2 GT3RS both the look from the .1 was better, and its street manners much nicer.

The 991.1 GT3RS has a true motorsports engine, it was the engine used in the GT3-R (the FIA-GT3 spec race car). It revs to 8500rpm (8800 in 1st gear, and you're never in 1st gear on a racetrack), so lower rpms help with engine longevity.

There is hardly a better car for the money and the mileage today for track use.
+1000. The other comments are typical of the over anxious, **** folks. You aren't going to find seal issues or dry rot tires just because (GASP) it's three whole years old. Have a good inspection done and enjoy it. They really are gems at where the market is, probably the best value Porsche out there.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:29 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 109 Posts

I would say tires are the only thing to worry about, but I would change all fluids just "cuz" its an inexpensive thing to do and start off with a fresh car to break in properly. I love my 16 every time I drive it!
Old 07-16-2019, 12:40 AM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 385 Posts

As others have contributed, it is an amazing car and I wouldn't let the low mileage worry you at all. Any car you purchase, regardless of mileage, should be inspected. A normal oil service and standard PPI check should be plenty. Most competent dealers will let you know if there is any concern.

You should be able to find the color and option combo you want with some research. Usually the low mileage barely driven cars bring a premium over the ones at 5k+, so it really just depends what meets your expectations. Nonetheless, I would concur it is a tremendous buy for what you receive in return.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:21 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by KBS911
Be careful. Was just at my dealer who had a 1300 mile 2016 GT3 that had been sitting for over a year. No, or very low mileage, depending on the age of the car is not always a good thing. Gaskets dry up and are prone to failure, in this case a transmission seal failed and the tranny was dropped and waiting on seal replacement...a pretty big job. Tech commented that letting them sit is the worse thing that can happen to these cars....they were meant to be driven.
If that is the case, I guess mine will last forever.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:27 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by signes
+1000. The other comments are typical of the over anxious, **** folks. You aren't going to find seal issues or dry rot tires just because (GASP) it's three whole years old. Have a good inspection done and enjoy it. They really are gems at where the market is, probably the best value Porsche out there.
+1001. For piece of mind, new tires and fluids, break it in gently the first week, warming it up and cooling it down gently and if its OK for a week its OK for another 4 years and at least 36,000 miles. Ask me how I know.

Originally Posted by robmypro
If that is the case, I guess mine will last forever.
What's your score now?
The following users liked this post:
groundhog (07-18-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 01:23 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 413 Likes on 257 Posts

Thanks all this is excellent advice and will definitely go back and take another look at the tires.

Just got off the phone with my local Porsche dealer service advisor. He said just due to age, the car will need the $1,500 major service (drive belt, spark plugs, cabin filter, inspection, and a few other things he quickly rattled off), plus brake fluid, and of course engine oil and filter for a total quote of $2,100.

Car is at a non Porsche dealer, so CPO is not possible, so the plan is to get everything done, then daily drive the car for at least the next month to get any issues identified and addressed under warranty, before the warranty expires in the fall.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:35 AM
richk
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 364 Posts

My .1RS has 19k miles. Put 6k miles on this year...the car is just about perfect if you like to go fast, brake hard, and drive in canyons.

I am in NY for a week so car is at dealership getting annual checkup. Not one complaint and I drive the car hard every day.

I am looking for another car and have seriously considered getting another. Probably will get GT3T because stick and no wingy is kinda cool.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:31 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 993 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by mchrono
Thanks all this is excellent advice and will definitely go back and take another look at the tires.

Just got off the phone with my local Porsche dealer service advisor. He said just due to age, the car will need the $1,500 major service (drive belt, spark plugs, cabin filter, inspection, and a few other things he quickly rattled off), plus brake fluid, and of course engine oil and filter for a total quote of $2,100.

Car is at a non Porsche dealer, so CPO is not possible, so the plan is to get everything done, then daily drive the car for at least the next month to get any issues identified and addressed under warranty, before the warranty expires in the fall.
I would talk to a Porsche dealer before committing to the sale.

I think for a fee the Porsche dealer might be able to "buy" the car and sell it to you. Of course there would be a fee that the dealer would charge... But—if the car is eligible for CPO status, the dealer should be able to do that. Obviously, you will pay the cost of the CPO, but it is something to consider.

Lastly, your independent shop is right about the major service, but only to a point. Right off the bat, spark plugs do not deteriorate with age.

Fluids are a must. You might also inquire about the fuel. Gas sitting in a tank for long periods will gum up.

If there is any kind of warranty left I would take advantage of it right away and drive the car as much as possible. Anything that leaks or fails will be covered.

Otherwise, these cars are about as bulletproof as anyone can make a high-performance car. You'll love it!
Old 07-17-2019, 09:01 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by mchrono

god dealers are so full of ****.

The drive belt....is 100% fine, as is the cabin filter. Spark plugs are also just fine. Inspection????? WTF is there to inspect, the car is basically new.

Brake fluid...go buy a $20 tester on amazon and check the percentage of water...I can almost guarantee it will be fine.

Oil change...sure, through them a bone.

This is just another BS tactic by some slimeball service advisor attempting to prey upon porsche owner paranoia.
The following users liked this post:
por944trs (07-17-2019)

Quick Reply: Might Buy an almost never driven .1RS