neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 261 Posts
Default my experience w/ PPF Suntek and Xpel

I have three cars w/ PPF; all cars had PPF placed since the first week
2015 GTS w/ Xpel (15K miles)
2016 BMW X5M w/ Xpel (40k miles)
2018 GT3 w/ Suntek (7K miles)

The Xpel cars have held up very nicely. No issues w/ ripping after taking a hit; however, I can't say the same about the GT3 w/ Suntek. In less than a year, the car has been hit and the PPF rips. This supports what people say that the Suntek is a thinner film.

I will be replacing the Suntek next season w/ Xpel. I won't touch suntek after this. Very disappointed w/ the film; although it has done its job by protecting the paint, but the problem I've had is the film is one-and-done (one hit wonder lol).

end.rant
The following 3 users liked this post by neurotic:
fjpdds (07-17-2019), GBSCaptain (08-05-2020), XPEL (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 12:42 PM
C5driver
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

Good to know. I just had XPEL applied and have been pleased with how it looks (or doesn't look!!)!
The following users liked this post:
XPEL (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 12:50 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Thanks for sharing, I am debating between xpel and suntek ultra right now

On my GT3 with suntek ultra I had the same experience. A couple hits from debris on the freeway tore through the film cleanly in small spots which surprised me but like you said it is a thinner film allegedly than xpel. Supposed to be a trade off where the suntek ultra did look gorgeous with ceramic coating/just invisible to my eyes, don't know if xpel can match that with the added thickness
XPEL (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 01:11 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

my installer recommended Suntek on the GT3 because the color of the car--PTS Viola. Don't get me wrong, the car looks great w/ the ceramic coating. Almost invincible PPF and color pops. however, I am now dealing w/ rips in the PPF and it looks tacky.

I'm glad I double layered the fenders as those are taking a beating lol

oh well. life lesson learned.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:12 PM
C5driver
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Thanks for sharing, I am debating between xpel and suntek ultra right now

On my GT3 with suntek ultra I had the same experience. A couple hits from debris on the freeway tore through the film cleanly in small spots which surprised me but like you said it is a thinner film allegedly than xpel. Supposed to be a trade off where the suntek ultra did look gorgeous with ceramic coating/just invisible to my eyes, don't know if xpel can match that with the added thickness
The transparency was my concern as well and to my eyes at various distances, I couldn't tell the difference. I did PPF front and in all light conditions, I just can't see the film on the front quarter panel vs. the doors.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:15 PM
bergx7
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 57 Posts

I just had my car wrapped with Suntek's new Ultra Defense (11mil thickness vs. Xpel and Suntek Ultra at 8mil). It looks good. Hopefully it holds up!
zmon (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 01:30 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bergx7
I just had my car wrapped with Suntek's new Ultra Defense (11mil thickness vs. Xpel and Suntek Ultra at 8mil). It looks good. Hopefully it holds up!
Yep that’s the new stuff. My installer has not yet used it yet but will be in the future. Will see how it holds up.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:42 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Originally Posted by C5driver
The transparency was my concern as well and to my eyes at various distances, I couldn't tell the difference. I did PPF front and in all light conditions, I just can't see the film on the front quarter panel vs. the doors.
right on, I am leaning towards xpel or the new suntek ultra defense now just for the thickness aspect to avoid what I and OP experienced, agree that it looks tacky to have those little rips in the film. Every time I detailed the car, I'd forget about them, rub the microfiber cloth right over the rip, and likely not help anything...

Originally Posted by bergx7
Which car if you don't mind me asking? my installer saying he uses it more on trucks and track cars, but I might go that route as I'm being told it might be a good middle ground. More thickness than Ultra, but still very good "appearance" qualities which Suntek Ultra is supposed to be well regarded for
Old 07-15-2019, 02:48 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Originally Posted by neurotic
Yep that’s the new stuff. My installer has not yet used it yet but will be in the future. Will see how it holds up.
forgot to ask, how does the xpel look visually? Did you ceramic coat the xpel on your GTS? thinking visually if any difference between suntek ultra ceramic coated and xpel ceramic coated. I am willing to bet I wouldn't notice a difference personally as both films get coated
Old 07-15-2019, 03:13 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,792 Likes on 4,779 Posts

Regardless of Xpel or Suntek, or even the installer (which is really I think the most important variable in all of this), I've just resigned myself to the fact that I will be reapplying the PPF every year or so, more if I'm tracking regularly.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:28 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Regardless of Xpel or Suntek, or even the installer (which is really I think the most important variable in all of this), I've just resigned myself to the fact that I will be reapplying the PPF every year or so, more if I'm tracking regularly.
This.

After five track days at Road America I've got a few light gray rubber stains on the XPEL film that won't come off, plus a few dings and tears in front of the rear wheel arches. The tears I expected but not the staining, especially considering the car was ceramic coated as well.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:30 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
forgot to ask, how does the xpel look visually? Did you ceramic coat the xpel on your GTS? thinking visually if any difference between suntek ultra ceramic coated and xpel ceramic coated. I am willing to bet I wouldn't notice a difference personally as both films get coated
The GTS does not have ceramic coating unlike the GT3. I don’t honestly see a difference between the two films. I’m sure someone out there with the name of Matt and owns Obsessed Garage will find a difference
Old 07-15-2019, 03:34 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

I've had both and I think Suntek looks a lot better. Too much orange peel with Xpel IMO.

Haven't had any tearing or ripping issues with the Suntek but I probably don't drive the car often/hard enough.
Agent_Orange (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 04:04 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by krell
This.

After five track days at Road America I've got a few light gray rubber stains on the XPEL film that won't come off, plus a few dings and tears in front of the rear wheel arches. The tears I expected but not the staining, especially considering the car was ceramic coated as well.
Have you tried plain old rubbing alcohol on a microfiber?
Old 07-15-2019, 04:06 PM
lisocayman
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

I have Suntek on my 991.2 GT3. It looks great everywhere except for the side rear flares near the wheels. I had the stock clear protection strips replaced with Suntek and it sucks. Tons of small tears from road debris. I’ll need to have the lower pieces of the film changed. 3.5K miles.

Quick Reply: my experience w/ PPF Suntek and Xpel